• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bingley Hall

Cropped from one of my old canal maps showing Bingley just after it was built

From a new map you can see that the National Convention Center is almost in place of Bingley Hall

Getting my Bearings

Looking on the map was Gt Charles Street near Snowhill? I'm trying to get my bearings. Thanks for the map though, it looks so totally different.
Anne

I used to go to the Ideal Home Exhibition at Bingley Hall with my parents in the late fifties. My Mom bought one of those doughnut makers and managed to set the kitchen on fire when using it! Fortunately, it wasn't too bad but she threw the gadget away afterwards.

I was then attending Birches Green junior school where we had embroidery lessons and a piece of my work was put on exhibit and I won second place.

Demonstrator

I demonstrated there on two occasions, 1962/64 i think was the year. once when Hughie Green was there and secondly when the Hedley Ward Trio played. they also had Mannequin parades put on by Mrs Platt from the Beehive..........Cat........:) Also I was once statiomed next door to the doughnut stand bad place for me to be.:D:D:D

Since I posted the photo of the waffle and doughnut maker I have donated them to a friend at the Pen Museum, who collects these sort of items and displays them. It's quite facinating to see his collection.

Bingley Hall.

:wave: I remember Bingley Hall as a child going to the tropical fish and caged birds exhibitions. That is where I discovered axolotles. They were too expensive to buy then but a few years ago I saw some advertised and bought a pair. They had babies all different colours and we found homes for a lot of them and the pet shop had the rest. I would to have some more as I am fascinated by amphibians. My husband said no. [mind you he said that about another dog] Ha Ha, Jean. :grinsmile: Guess who won?.

Arrived a bit late to this thread... wasn't there the suspicion that it was burned down as "an insurance job"?

However, I mostly remember the Ideal Home Exhibitions during the late 1950s/1960s. One year there was an exhibition (was it Ideal Home or a Toy Expo?) where they had Paratroopers with a simulation for a parachute jump, and you jumped off some scaffolding. That same year I distinctly remember going round a small track on a motorised go-cart (that must have been 1965 or 66).

Bingley Hall.

:wave: Hi last chance. I remember Bingley Hall burning down. Can't remember if it was arson or not. TTFN. Jean. :wave:

Thanks postied. I do have a few of the catalogues myself, but none for the Midlands event.

Perfumed Flowers

I demonstrated perfumed flowers Rod, artificial of course and behind them was a small round metal container which you placed cotten wool dipped in perfume inside so that the flower had an ever lasting smell. I worked for a Mr Dalton from London and i also demonstrated the latest adhesive tiles. and if my memory serves me well i think they had a car exhibition there once which i took my two sons to..........Cat...:)

Bingley Hall and the suffragettes

Prime Minister Asquith came to Birmingham to speak at the Bingley Hall - I think it was 1909. Two suffragettes got on the roof and shouted down from a skylight. They were removed with difficulty to Winson Green where they became the first suffragette prisoners to be force fed after going on hunger strike.

Ideal Home Exhibition

We went to Bingley Hall , Ideal Home Exhibition in the 60's, and if you were stopped and had a copy of the Evening Mail on you and knew the "password" on the front , you won a prize.
This particular evening the word was Yoghurt and mum won a Kettle and it was presented by non other than Lonnie Donegan , we thought it was great we'd met someone famous. I also remember getting a giroscope .:)

I dont recall those Postied, what I do remember though were the rickerty stairs around the Exhibition, No Health And Safety then Eh? :shocked:

I remember the stars Jim, I found one sometime in the 50's after we were married. I have no idea what prize I won, I just recall being over the moon to find the blue star. :)

We went to Bingley Hall , Ideal Home Exhibition in the 60's, and if you were stopped and had a copy of the Evening Mail on you and knew the "password" on the front , you won a prize.
This particular evening the word was Yoghurt and mum won a Kettle and it was presented by non other than Lonnie Donegan , we thought it was great we'd met someone famous. I also remember getting a giroscope .:)

I remember getting a gyroscope, I could never get it to work. :cry:

Incredible to think how easily pleased we were back then - I had plenty of fun with the gyroscope (probably from the Ideal Home). I also remember, c.1960, getting a green plastic caterpillar which had a wheel inside the body. The wheel had rubber suckers around it, so when it was wound up(?) and released, it could climb up smooth surfaces.

Nowadays if it isn't powered by 'lectricity, kids today get bored very quickly... :rolleyes:

A bit late onto this thread but I too went to Bingley Hall to some expo of some sort. All I remember was seeing Daleks, The Saints Volvo and Lady Penelope's Pink Rolls...I guess it was around 1966. There was a Dodgem Car ride and as you left you walked past a candy floss shop which I thought you had to eat as an antidote to having all that electricty buzzing over your head.

Gee these postings certainly bring back memories of childhood. I also attended (under sufferance!) the Ideal Homes Exhibition & I'm pretty sure a Motor Show, however I would never have remembered the "Dancing Waters" until reading Mazbeth's posting. I did attend Chipperfiels Circus there on more than one occasion as a child in the Fifties, it seemed that as kids you were either a "Chipperfields" or a "Billy Smarts" fan, depending I guess where our parents took us, Billy Smarts seemed to get on TV a fair bit in those early days, but we always had a soft spot for Chipperfields. Thanks for the memories!!

I went to a Car Show at Bingley Hall, it must have been around 1973, I came away having bought a Skoda!! My word that car served us well, we had nearly 7 years of trouble-free motoring from it.

When it was delivered (on a low-loader) there were 4 miles on the clock, it was taxed, and had a full tank of petrol. Before it was delivered, it had the underneath treated with some sort of "gunk" to stop corrosion, and in fact it never rusted. The only problem was the colour, me mates at work called it "Mexican Cow-Crap"

barrie

Bingley Hall was behind the colonade shelter in the old Hall of Memory Gardens and where Symphony Hall now stands. (We haven't got the trams there yet)

Hi astonian,
Wasn't me mate either,
although I did work on some of the exibition's
sometimes till 2 am in the morning,even played football in there!!!!

A bit late onto this thread but I too went to Bingley Hall to some expo of some sort. All I remember was seeing Daleks, The Saints Volvo and Lady Penelope's Pink Rolls...I guess it was around 1966. There was a Dodgem Car ride and as you left you walked past a candy floss shop which I thought you had to eat as an antidote to having all that electricty buzzing over your head.

Hiya, first time I have posted on here, doing research bought me here... anyway I noted your comments about the Daleks, I have a picture from that time with a Yeti and an Ice Warrior, me on skates hehe. Thank you for giving me a year :)

Does anyone remember this and can tell me more?

My mind is blank :( but then if it was 1966 I would have only been 5, would love to try to remember, although I do now remember the dancing waters, and thank you for that :)

Take care...

Back