• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

Hi Folks so more pictures of Aston & lozells Area birmingham can anybody put names to roads.

No4 is Shakespear Cottage/ House Scyamore Road

No3 Phillips Street

No1 Wheeler Street

No2 Lozells Road

No5 Salford Street Gittings & Hill Ltd Long Acre

Solved

Ray

hi ray...nice to see you posting again...pic 3 is phillips st just off high st two roads past the bartons arms on the same side.....pic 1 seems so familiar but cant place it as yet....hope you keep posting ray...we have missed you....

lyn

Last edited:
ray i will take a stab at pic one...maybe victoria road...sure its somewhere round there...and if we could have kellys look up for pics 2 and 4 as they have names above the buildings we should be able to put a location on those...pic 4 i like very much just wish we knew where it was...

lyn

lyn

Last edited:
In pic 1 the map shows Lozells Congregatonal Church at the top of Wheeler St. But I dont remember it there

No 2 is Lozells road 1964 Kellys shows :
39 Alison Fashion Wear (presumably london fashions)
41 Perks W.H. corn merchants
43A Mrs M. Kelcher, milliner
45 empire wine and spirit stores
mike

I think you are right about the fashion shop, I am sure 2 brothers owned it at some time, ones name was Bernard and he used to be a window dresser if i am correct. He used to bring his old mom down to my shop on the flat Hockley to have her hair done. She was lovely and had lovely white hair, I done it for her to have her photo taken to advertise singer sewing machines, she was about 75 then

hi all happy new year. Am keen to see any pictures of Rifle Crescent, my mom was born there.

Cheers

of course its wheeler st mike..just before you hit lozells road and i remember it now....

lyn

The 1964 Kellys shows the lozells Congregational church at the top of wheeler st on the west side.
No 5 showing the entrance to gittings & hill varnish works is in Salford St, off the top of Long acre . the works can be seen on the 1902 map. though in 1902 it was Gittings Hill & Boothby.
mike

Addition 22.6,2013 have added picture no 5 below

gittings___hill_varnish_works2C_salford_st.jpg

varnish_works__salford_st_c1902.jpg

thanks mike...i can now put a caption on them...dont think weve much chance on pic 4...not a single clue in sight as far as i can see....

happy new new mike...

lyn

hi all happy new year. Am keen to see any pictures of Rifle Crescent, my mom was born there.

Cheers
Hi welcome. This is a great site! You might do better to start a thread for Rifle Cres. Your request might get lost in this one. Happy new year to all

hi ray...nice to see you posting again...pic 3 is phillips st just off high st two roads past the bartons arms on the same side.....pic 1 seems so familiar but cant place it as yet....hope you keep posting ray...we have missed you....

lyn
Lyn Happy New Year I'm at the bottom of the box just odd pictures to sort, cant attach anymore at the moment site down

Ray

The plaque on the houses looks characteristic in no 2 looks characteristic. Have enlarged it a bit.

There is lettering on the corner of the building behind the tree that reads "Ye Olde ....". Couldn't find anything in Kellys that wasn't a pub (which it obviuously wasn't) in 1964, 66, or 72 but in 1956 there was ;
Ye Olde Englishe Gifte Tea Co. tea merchants 120 (back of) icknield /St
Ye Olde Tudor Bakery (Kathln. Sarah Nind, proprss.),130 Bordesley green. 9
Do these ring a bell for the position?
mike

HooRay (forgive the pun), the man is back and my tongue is hanging out so far in anticipation of more of these pictures from Ray that its longer than my cocker spaniel's. Welcome back Ray and a special Happy New Year from me to you.
You do know by now that I am always looking for photos of Bracebridge Street if you have any buried deep in your archives?
I have to agree with Old Boy that No.4 could be Chester Street although I was thinking it was on the other side of the road just down from Avenue Road near where Aston Brook ran under?

happy new year to you ray..these pics are worth the wait....gerrard st..porchester are of great interest to me and i am sure colin... the shot of alma st is worth its weight in gold....not easy to find them...

so many thanks ray...the pics you posted some months ago and these latest ones have not only made my day but a lot of other fourm members too...

many thanks for taking the time as i know its not easy putting them on from slides...

lyn

ray at first pic 4 on post 257 looked very much like the union pub (ansells) in gerrard st....i am trying to make out the writing above the shops...not so sure now...

lyn

Ray I can help with 1 and 2. No 1 is looking up Gerrard St from the junction with Alma St That'll be an inner circle 8 goin up there. Pic No. 2 is looking up Porchester St to Clifford St which runs across at the top of the pic

Cheers !

Colin
I thought I knew No1 you confirmed it thanks Colin

ray at first pic 4 on post 257 looked very much like the union pub (ansells) in gerrard st....i am trying to make out the writing above the shops...not so sure now...

lyn

When I first looked at this photo Lyn, I too thought I recognised it as being the Union. But I am almost certain it isn't ...........but looks so familiar.

Back