• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Pictures

hi jules and a happy new year to you its strange we should both think that...thanks john..here is a pic of the union pub... is there any chance of seeing what it says over the shops right of the tree please..

lyn

hi jules..we were right with it being gerrard st but its not the union its the gunmakers arms....if you look at rays pic you can just make out the spike through the trees that is on top of the gunmakers...

happy new year to you jules...

hi john..its pic 1 on post 257 thats gerrard st ..just a miss type im sure...and i really must show it to my auntie...she lived at the alma st end and so far this is the first pic i have seen of it...with a bit of luck her house may be on it...

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Think we're at cross purposes here.
What I meant was the road with the tree must be Guildford St. if the Gunmakers was on the corner of Gerrard St. and Guildford St.

good morning john....lol..must get it right this time......must say i just asummed the second pic with the tree was exactly the same as the first one ray posted..i didnt take a closer look so bang on the head for me... but on closer inspection they are just slightly different shots...on the second one the pub is obsured by the tree and you can just see on the left of that pic one of the so called new houses being built so apologies for my senior moment on that...so yes both pics are of gerrard st...

lyn

Lyn,
Still confused, surely both pics are of Guildford St.
I've checked maps and there is only one pub in Gerrard St., corner of Guildford St.

john...the gunmakers is no where near guildford st...hang on i will post a map...

lyn

hi john..follow on up nursery rd..the gunmakers is on the corner of gerrrard st and either berners or wilton st as was...they are not called that now and i cant remember which one it was...gerrard then crosses wheeler st before it gets to guildford and ends at alma st...

hope ive explained this ok..needed a sat nav but got there in the end..lol..hope this map is ok if not you may have a better one to hand..

lyn

just went back in time john...pretty sure the gunmakers is on the corner of gerrard and berners...if astonian sees this he will be able to confirm or not...

lyn

Lyn,
Cor what a performance, I was relying on old maps which only show one pub and that was on the corner of Guildford St. but it's on the corner of Wilton.
My mistake, ( don't rely on old maps) therefore the shop to the right of the tree was a grcer and the opposite corner was the Belle Vue pub, sorted have a nice day.
Best wishes John.

lol john dont go just yet...to the right of the tree was a shop...but now carry on up to wheeler st from the gunmakers (same side) there was a shop on the corner of gerrard and wheeler then came the belle vue pub on the next corner of wheeler and gerrard...all the same side...

you may now go and have a strong cuppa..lol

have a good day...

lyn

Hi Lyn,It looks lile The Gunmakers is on the corner of Gerrard Street and Wilton Street.
This picture is looking along Gerrard St,1st crossroad is Wheeler St and you can see The Gunmakers on the next corner on the right,which i think was Wilton Street.
Moss.

MORNNG MOSS..YEP QUITE RIGHT..WILTON ST IS WAS...

JOHN YOU CAN SEE ON THIS PIC THE GUNMAKERS AND THE BELLE VUE WHICH IS ON THE CORNER BY THE CARS...

AND HERE ENDETH THE FIRST LESSON...lol...

Lyn,it looks like the first junction after Wheeler St which was Wilton St.The junction after that was Berners St.
Moss.

Lyn

I don't know if these have been posted before, one of the outdoor in Geech St and the other is of some houses in Porchester St.

Phil

NewtownGeachStOutdoor.jpg
NewtownPorchesterSt1966.jpg

Hi Phil,
Your 2nd photo answered the request for photo no 2 in post 257, it was answered earlier, but you've provided the picture.

thanks Ray, especially for the photos of Park Lane and that part of Aston. I might see if I can put them on a disc to give to my mom

I have some that aren't on this thread, of old Aston, they are on other parts of the web - if they are posted elsewhere on this site I apologise in advance.

Woolworths around 1970
Woolworthsc1970.jpg

Victoria Road baths

VicRoadSBathsc1920s.jpg

Six Ways Aston [about 1850]

SixWaysAston1850approx.jpg

Six Ways baptist

sixwaysbaptist.jpg

Salford Park shelter about 1925

shelterSalfordPark1925.jpg

Potters Hill [1955]

POTTERSHILL55.jpg

Park Lane/Potters Hill

ParkLaneAstonatthejunctionwithPotte.jpg

Park Lane 1969
ParkLane1969.jpg

Aston Village 1868

AstonVillage1868.jpg

wow maz....there are some great pic there..only 2 i have seen before...the one of aston village is brillient....in the last but 1 pic is that the shareholders pub on the right...

thanks maz...

lyn

hi phil...ive only just caught up with this thread ..thanks for the pics on post 294....brillient as i have neither of them....

cheers...

lyn

..in the last but 1 pic is that the shareholders pub on the right...
if I remember right it was an off-licence
I think the Shareholders was [and is??] further up towards Newtown Row [near the new Park Lane gospel hall], but I may be wrong about the name, and the off-licence could be connected to a pub which can't be seen in the pic...
and that corner that the offie was on may be Sutton St. [but not sure]

Maz. Only just noticed those photos you posted. Great pictures. If you have any more, please post them. That was terrific.

Back