• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the bike a gas fuelled bike ? Was it for WW1 use or later ? I notice the ad has the trademark three standing rifles. When did they change that trademark to the winged BSA ? Viv.

I don't know when it changed but I do remember the crossed guns on the BSA factory in Marshall Lake Road Shirley. I suspect the wings were the logo for the motor bike section.

A rather worrying piece of baking equipment: Woods of Birmingham asbestos lined slab cake baking tin ! Viv.

Advertising card for A R Wood & Co, 85 Dale End.
image.jpeg

A large fruit cake was baked here two days ago. I did notice the greaseproof tin liner and sampled the cake yesterday afternoon at tea time. :D

I use greaseproof for my round tins but have some re-usable silicon linings for my square tin and loaf tin. The tins are non stick but I find you can lift cakes out with a lining. I don't fancy asbestos for the Christmas Cake.:)

I remember a book form the 1960's called "the first steps in wine making" by CJJ Berry. I one section he recommends an asbestos jelly bag for filtering wine, scary.

I think at one time asbestos was quite commonly used as a filtering aid . Apparently it allowed a quicker throughput than normal cellulose filters

Re. ad in post #840.

Remember going to Shovelbottoms in the summer of 1965 to look at motorbikes to buy. Only under 250cc though as I had only just left school. I remember sitting on a BSA Beagle 90cc and thinking this could do me. Eventually bought a BSA Bantam 175cc from Bill Howard motorcycles in Wells Rd , Sheldon.
Funnily this was the time of all the Jap bikes flooding the market, and I still preferred the old Brit bikes.
Brummie ones at that. My mates went for the Jap bikes, smaller sized engines, but faster, and more reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
It could be. Ads were unregulated, and many quite substantial and frivolous claims were made by people selling their practices and products. I have feeling it was also ok to call yourself a Doctor, even when not medically qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back