• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Advertising in the past

• Thread starter Thread starter Kandor
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent many hours under those hair dryers. They were quite noisy so you had to shout to the person sitting next to you. All this was before the mass use of hand-held dryers in hairdressing shops. I believe most hairdressers today keep one of the 'sit under' models for the more senior clients who still prefer their hair dried in this way. And if you have your hair set with rollers it's still probably the best way to dry your hair. Viv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Viv, I used to do hairdressing at home and I had one of those hood hairdryers which fitted on to a work surface or table. You adjusted the height to suit. Very often I would hear a shout and the dryer hood had descended with a clonk on to my customer! I really don't know what happened to it but I must have thrown it away. My mom was still having her hair set with rollers in 2011. When I first started 'waves and curls' were the look with those vicious crocodile metal clips. Wonder what they were called?

Absolutely true Lady P. You didn't want to get your fingers in the way of those clips. If you did it wasn't pleasant. These are the ones I remember but the ones my mum had were brown in colour. Seems they were called wave clips. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hi Lady P, have a look at the thread about Jarrett Rainsford and Laughton,(I just posted there!) There's an advertisement for those wave grip makers.
rosie.

Thanks Viv. Your pic also reminded me of my kiss curls (along with my bouncy fringe and pony tail). I used to sleep with those clips in and then stick my curls to my cheeks with hair spray! Hurricane Brian wouldn't have stood a chance.
I'll have a look at that thread Rosie. Thanks.

Stitcher, there's nothing like HP sauce and the stuff they make is nothing like it! I used to love to try to read the ingredients on the bottle which for some reason were in French on one side. Funny the things you remember.

hp sauce.jpg

Those adverts for Flake etc. always show to me the way confectioners manage to sell to their customers 'fresh air' 'inflating' :) the size of the product by adding air, Polo the mint with the hole, a nice way of nicking the middle bit to save on cost, Aero full of air bubbles etc. Tricky lot these chocolate makers!

You have a point Eric, but in the case of Flake (and possibly Aero) it is a bit more complicated. The flake chocolate contains less fat, which, together with the structure, does give a different mouthfeel . In the case of Whisper, which also has air in it, there is a higher fat content, which also affects the mouthfeel. I think that in all the products containing air the ORIGINAL purpose was to get an effect on the eating quality. Because of the special production techniques and ingredient changes necessary, I doubt if there is a significant cost reduction in production. Far more important would be small reductions in the size of bars or number of units in the box/pack. These are , of course, nowadays pretty well publicised by the papers, though not the companies. I do remember a project about 15-20 years ago to produce a bar with less calories. This involved a combination of wafer (with much air) and aerated mousse in the centre, the thinnest layer of chocolate possible and a smaller bar (presumably thinking that people would not notice it was smaller). It was never introduced, mainly, I think, because it was pretty awful to eat (as are many "healthy " products)

I've got a programme from my mother's collection from the Prince of Wales Theatre dated Monday June 13th 1932.
The Birmingham Hospitals' Grand Opera Week...........Carmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back