• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

I suppose it depends on what you use your PC for, basically I only use it for 3 things, this Forum, on line banking and watching videos on you tube oh and occasionally downloading music. I found that XP, 7 and 10 all coped/cope with that to my satisfaction. Having said that I realise that the more knowledgeable users have far more uses than I. Eric
Eric

I am quite tec savvy but agree that your approach to it is spot on. Does it fulfil my needs, and does it work for me?

I am also a big believer of keep it simple.

It easy to confuses the difference between a programme user and an operating system enthusiast.

Windows 10 is still good for a few yeas yet and Microsoft will most likely extend the support deadline anyway.

I find that websites look the same whichever operating system I use. I’m on an Apple iPad at moment and the BHF looks just the same as it does on Windows 11.

I find that websites look the same whichever operating system I use. I’m on an Apple iPad at moment and the BHF looks just the same as it does on Windows 11.
I should jolly well hope so! That is the whole point of HTML, CSS and the browser rendering it, 'platform independent' as they say.

The 'problem' with so-called operating system updates/upgrades is their lack of support for legacy programs and hardware. It's like getting a new car and finding that the golf bag doesn't fit the boot of any 2021 model and the cigar lighter socket has been replaced by a non-conventionally wired USB socket putting out a Sat Nav-destroying 24 volts.

In passing I don't see the sense in 'Apps', if a program can be made to run within the environment of a web browser then it will run on any platform that can run a browser. That should make life simpler for the developer and the user.

I don't have problems running 'legacy' programs. On my Win 11 - Lotus 123 (from 1997) running top left and Paintshop Pro (from 1996) running on the right in the pic below. :)
Screenshot (297).jpg

There are numerous ways to upgrade to 11 and bypass the checks, even Microsoft are telling you how to do it providing you accept responsibility. Why would they do that though? win 11.jpg

Last edited:
The ability to run legacy programs can depend on how the program and the operating program came to be on the computer. I had a PC once that was running Windows 95 with various games. In due course the PC was upgraded to Windows 98 and everything still worked. Then I tried to re-install one of the games but it insisted on having Windows 95. (Strictly speaking that was down to the game's developer in that case but updating what is installed is different to starting from scratch).

I have several items of hardware that worked fine under Windows XP or Windows 98 which have now become obsolecent because Windows 10/11 drivers don't exist.

Some of the changes that Microsoft makes are just cosmetic (and idiotic). Which bright spark thought it was a good idea to add a drop shadow to the right/bottom edge of 'Paint'? I've had to go back a few times now to remove edge lines that these shadows camouflaged.

My career started in electronics and went into computer controlled ‘things’ and the software to make them go. For a lot of the time with regard to computers, I was on the inside looking out, so to speak. I have a W10 computer to hand just so I can support friends, and try to see their issues. Nowadays, I prefer to just use a computer rather than fiddle about with it, and my own preference is for the Mac. I have not seen much from the screen looking in that makes upgrading from W10 to W11 a priority, although there are changes under the hood that would have made my old job a bit harder. But then I was using XP anyway. Andrew.

xp good ver i used to run my radio programs never had any probs with it. sorry now i upgraded my laptop to 10.it wont it run my software grrr. i have try'd to get a copy of it with key but no success

Hi Richard,
Digital Audio Broadcasting ...

With regarding to upgrading to W11 - I've found there are no apparent operating advantages over W10 - and some say that Microsoft simply took W10 - re-upholstered it - moved the furniture about a bit and called it Windows 11 ... :)

It seems slightly faster because it uses flat folder icons instead of the W10 folders which display slightly open with contents peeping out. The 'secure boot' and 'TPM' requirements supposedly make it more secure.
oldMohawk, thank you on both counts!

I am quite happy with W 10 but concerned because of my computers age. I will start looking again after the Holidays. Sometimes in the US the products that are on sale or available during the Holidays are ones they are selling to make room for newer versions (not necessarily better I have found).

Thanks again!

Eric

I am quite tec savvy but agree that your approach to it is spot on. Does it fulfil my needs, and does it work for me?

I am also a big believer of keep it simple.

It easy to confuses the difference between a programme user and an operating system enthusiast.

Windows 10 is still good for a few yeas yet and Microsoft will most likely extend the support deadline anyway.
Mort I am pleased with W10 it far exceeds what I need: spread sheets PPT presentations, zoom meeting etc. my concern is the age of my computer and what they have to offer as a replacement. No SD card slots, only 1 USB slot. I consider myself quite tech savvy but it seems like many of the tools I am used to have disappeared!

Mort I am pleased with W10 it far exceeds what I need: spread sheets PPT presentations, zoom meeting etc. my concern is the age of my computer and what they have to offer as a replacement. No SD card slots, only 1 USB slot. I consider myself quite tech savvy but it seems like many of the tools I am used to have disappeared!
I agree, I bought Mrs Mort a laptop a couple of weeks ago that only had one USB slot, so a bit surprised at that.

She seems happy with it anyway.

Never been an Apple fan and now Microsoft is in the same boat!

I have been getting a note (s) from Microsoft about upgrading to Windows 11, which I was a little concerned about because my computer is 6 years old and well used. I did the compatibility test and I can’t upgrade so I’m going to wait until the Holiday dust settled and start looking.
if you have a tower computer, consider having it upgraded. I have an excellent one man computer repair shop in the next village and for a couple of hundred pounds he upgraded mine, new mother board and processor, and doubled the memory. I then fitted a solid state hard drive. It now runs beautifull, boots up in 38 seconds closes down in about 15 to 20 seconds. Still running windows 7. Loads of USB ports and a cd drive. You don’t always have to buy new. UPGRADE, it’s worked for me. I also use Apple computer and tablets.

if you have a tower computer, consider having it upgraded. I have an excellent one man computer repair shop in the next village and for a couple of hundred pounds he upgraded mine, new mother board and processor, and doubled the memory. I then fitted a solid state hard drive. It now runs beautifull, boots up in 38 seconds closes down in about 15 to 20 seconds. Still running windows 7. Loads of USB ports and a cd drive. You don’t always have to buy new. UPGRADE, it’s worked for me. I also use Apple computer and tablets.
Thank Chunky, I have a notebook

My 3 year old Dell laptop running Win 11 never leaves the house so it has 3 usb ports (one permanently occupied by a small wireless mouse receiver) an HDMI port and a SD card slot. It has an SSD, a 1Tb hard drive and also a DVD drive which I've only used once. It has a 17" screen and full size keyboard with fingerprint log-in so it's heavy and not suitable for taking out. It is usually positioned on a small table and the arm of my chair with the mouse on my thigh.
A pic of it when it was a Win 10 computer ... and I bought it from Currys :rolleyes:
xIMG_x0691.JPG

My 3 year old Dell laptop running Win 11 never leaves the house so it has 3 usb ports (one permanently occupied by a small wireless mouse receiver) an HDMI port and a SD card slot. It has an SSD, a 1Tb hard drive and also a DVD drive which I've only used once. It has a 17" screen and full size keyboard with fingerprint log-in so it's heavy and not suitable for taking out. It is usually positioned on a small table and the arm of my chair with the mouse on my thigh.
A pic of it when it was a Win 10 computer ... and I bought it from Currys :rolleyes:
View attachment 164917
OldMohawk, I can do without the CD or the 17” screen but the other stuff yes. I do use a wireless mouse which I really like. I would like to have some reasonable portability.
I will look afresh in the New Year with my fingers crossed!
Thank you!

If and when I update my laptop I will be very disappointed if it only has 1 usb port. I use a wireless mouse, always save to an ssd and sometimes have my camera attached to download pics as well - so using all 3 ports on my current machine.

I have a switch box it connects to a usb port,and has 5 usb out. you can turn the devices off by just pressing the buttons,
so the other usb ports on the machine are free. Total ports on my machine 8 :grinning:

Even though I don't need a new laptop I had a look around and there are plenty available with 3 usb ports and other ports.
:)
true there are a lot of companies selling refurbs as well.some are new with scratches at the right price that dont affect whats inside.:grinning:

I looked at new ones on the Argos site ... :grinning:
if you remember i bought a new HP laptop from them and when i got it home it was a american keyboard version. they did exchange it for a uk. it is still under the bench,i might start it up and see if it will download 11. that way i want lose anything if it all goes pear shaped when i install the iso on it:grinning:

If and when I update my laptop I will be very disappointed if it only has 1 usb port. I use a wireless mouse, always save to an ssd and sometimes have my camera attached to download pics as well - so using all 3 ports on my current machine.
Janice, exactly! That’s about what I do. If my machine was not so old I would not be concerned. I just don’t want to get caught short with no machine and a client that needs something. Not that I have a big practice but I need when they need it!

Even though I don't need a new laptop I had a look around and there are plenty available with 3 usb ports and other ports.
:)
OldMohawk, do you remember the brands and are they running W11? The few that I have seen are heavy and slow. I would like some portability as I have now.

Thanks,

Back