• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

Richard,
I was looking on the UK retail store Argus website just to see what was around. I haven't actually bought one from there for years. It seems that laptops with more usb ports are heavier. The Asus VivoBook S14 S433 range looks interesting.

It's always difficult choosing a new computer .. needs much thought and research .. :)

they are smudge:grinning:
Pete, I like that idea, how slow is a bit slow?
Richard,
I was looking on the UK retail store Argus website just to see what was around. I haven't actually bought one from there for years. It seems that laptops with more usb ports are heavier. The Asus VivoBook S14 S433 range looks interesting.

It's always difficult choosing a new computer .. needs much thought and research .. :)
oldMohawk, just took a look at the Dell, very heavy but good pricing. Looked at another Lenovo and thinking about what Pete and I'm sure others have done with the USB adapter. I will take a look at the Asus which has not had a good reputation in the US to date, but things change. I also looked at an LG which was a little pricy but appeared to have all of the pieces except the SD slot.
A Lenovo looked encouraging and also had a built in Alexa, what do you think about that?
At this point I will wait until after the Holidays and continue to look on line. We have a company in the US (not sure about UK), Best Buy. They have a great support system Geek Squad, are local for me. I'll go in and "touch and feel".

the transfer rates: USB 2.0 offers transfer rates of 480 Mbps and USB 3.0 offers transfer rates of 4.8 Gbps - that's 10 times faster. Note that the transfer speeds also depend on the device in use in addition to the bus type and USB ports and cables.
A built in Alexa. Id want a big discount to have that imposed on me. It's bad enough Cortana keep poking her nose in
i cant be doing with cortana that is one of the first things to disable. second the location and third camera and mic

Last edited:
You can get away with one USB port, keyboards, mice, external speakers etc can all be had running via blue tooth so no cables to mess with plus obviously you can use an expansion block for extra ports. To be honest all my DVD based software I've moved onto USB sticks (and back up sticks), installs a lot faster than from disk.

Lack of ports is more common on tablets and chrome book type laptops in my experience.

My Dell laptop has 3 usb ports. A small wireless mouse receiver is permanently in one usb and my 500Gb hdd back-up is plugged into another usb once per week. Occasionally I plug in a camera and satnav.
If the laptop only had one usb I would use a bluetooth mouse and my back-up drive and other items could use the one usb. I could live with a one usb laptop ... :)

is there a diff between usb 2 and 3 in performance on cd drives
My Acer tower box has 5 usb ports some usb2 and some usb3 and I usually cannot remember which is which. The wireless keyboard and mouse receiver is in a back usb and a Logitec Web Cam is in another back usb. I use the front usb for my weekly backup drive and my flightsim joystick. I suppose usb3 can move large amounts of data more quickly.

i have big collection of video cds. i know the h/drive and data transfers are quicker with 3. a video can only go so fast before it sounds like the chipmunks. so why buy a usb 3 dvd over a 2? how can you burn with out a cdr?

i have big collection of video cds. i know the h/drive and data transfers are quicker with 3. a video can only go so fast before it sounds like the chipmunks. so why buy a usb 3 dvd over a 2? how can you burn with out a cdr?
You can copy films music & just about everything onto a usb stick. My music in the car is all via songs copied to usb. The films i download onto usb & then watch them on my tv. I can`t remember the last time i used my dvd drive, in fact i`ve never used it.

You can copy films music & just about everything onto a usb stick. My music in the car is all via songs copied to usb. The films i download onto usb & then watch them on my tv. I can`t remember the last time i used my dvd drive, in fact i`ve never used it.
:grinning:my car is a old one.1639223204252.pngit has only got a cd and Analogue radio no usb or bluetooth.

i have 2 of them Eric one a usb 2 and the other a usb 3 i dont see or hear any differance between them when playing a dvd
on the pc.
if you lose all the data and the pc crashes how can you get on the internet and re load win 10? without a cd iso

i have 2 of them Eric one a usb 2 and the other a usb 3 i dont see or hear any differance between them when playing a dvd
on the pc.
if you lose all the data and the pc crashes how can you get on the internet and re load win 10? without a cd iso
You can load the iso onto a usb just as easy. I`ve got a windows disc image on one of my usb`s. I presume it would work if my pc crashes, but then i would just buy a refurb computer from ebay. This pc i`ve had for 2/3 years got good specs & bought from a reputable ebayer. £115. ( There are some decent ebayers )

You can load the iso onto a usb just as easy. I`ve got a windows disc image on one of my usb`s. I presume it would work if my pc crashes, but then i would just buy a refurb computer from ebay. This pc i`ve had for 2/3 years got good specs & bought from a reputable ebayer. £115. ( There are some decent ebayers )
i will try that smudger. i will copy a win 10 disk to a stick and save it, we are not all rich like you are:grinning:

In post#1458 I used the following to put W11 in my Acer PC

In post#1460 I removed W11 and went back to W10 because FSX would not run.
In post#1467 I had sorted FSX and went back to W11 which I've used ever since.

You can get away with one USB port, keyboards, mice, external speakers etc can all be had running via blue tooth so no cables to mess with plus obviously you can use an expansion block for extra ports. To be honest all my DVD based software I've moved onto USB sticks (and back up sticks), installs a lot faster than from disk.

Lack of ports is more common on tablets and chrome book type laptops in my experience.
Richard, understand! My issue is that occasionally I have client that will send me info on a DVD, I even keep a 31/4” floppy drive. I had three sent to me last year and fortunately I had a Sony drive available that somehow I kept when the computer died.

Richard, understand! My issue is that occasionally I have client that will send me info on a DVD, I even keep a 31/4” floppy drive. I had three sent to me last year and fortunately I had a Sony drive available that somehow I kept when the computer died.
Floppy drive, now that`s a blast from the past. !

Running my Windows 11 laptop this morning, I happened to move my mouse pointer in this area of the BHF screen and a little 'Visual Search' box appeared looking like this.
Untitled.jpg

So being nosy I clicked it and got results like this
1_Untitled.jpg
All this only appears when Edge browser is viewing BHF.

I am not very PC wise but have sushed Windows 10 out and am quite content with it, therefore is there any point changing to Windows 11 (I thought Windows 10 was supposed to be final) ? Eric

Hi Eric,
The main difference with Windows 11 is a neater user interface and the Settings panel is slightly easier to use. Although Win 11 runs all the apps and programs I use, it does not run them any better than Windows 10 so as you say ... stick with Windows 10.

The 'Visual Search' box I previously mentioned only appears on the BHF website when I'm using the Edge browser. It does not appear on any other website. I think it is Microsoft experimenting with their Bing search.

Back