• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

Hi Phil, e-mail that notifies me of your reply, but the BHF image sits above email and does not have facility to scroll etc.
Until this recent update I would have opened to a full page from BHF.
Jim
I use Gmail but have just forwarded the forum email to my Outlook mail and the image opened full screen. Perhaps it might be worth trying a system scan and repair.
1) Right click Windows icon
2) Select 'Windows Terminal (Admin)'
3) In the terminal enter sfc /scannow

The space after sfc is important.

I've changed over to Windows 11 and it's Start Menu is much better and stable.

I use Gmail but have just forwarded the forum email to my Outlook mail and the image opened full screen. Perhaps it might be worth trying a system scan and repair.
1) Right click Windows icon
2) Select 'Windows Terminal (Admin)'
3) In the terminal enter sfc /scannow

The space after sfc is important.

I've changed over to Windows 11 and it's Start Menu is much better and stable.
I have a "command prompt (admin)" no" Windows terminal (admin)". Same thing?

I have a "command prompt (admin)" no" Windows terminal (admin)". Same thing?
If the update has caused a problem you can usually undo an update within 10 days after installation. When a feature update is issued MS usually put a copy 'Windows old' on your C drive.
Type 'undo a windows update' in Google search.
I did it in 2019 when an update overheated my cpu.

If the update has caused a problem you can usually undo an update within 10 days after installation. When a feature update is issued MS usually put a copy 'Windows old' on your C drive.
Type 'undo a windows update' in Google search.
I did it in 2019 when an update overheated my cpu.
Back up and running! I was past the ten day time limit, not used laptop for a few days, I am always nervous of going into those "techy" looking files, the ms help section led me into reloading "edge" and that made sense as "chrome" seemed to be functioning ok. These events must be good for the grey matter. Thanks for your encouragement etc.

Back up and running! I was past the ten day time limit, not used laptop for a few days, I am always nervous of going into those "techy" looking files, the ms help section led me into reloading "edge" and that made sense as "chrome" seemed to be functioning ok. These events must be good for the grey matter. Thanks for your encouragement etc.
Glad to hear your laptop is running again. I suppose you now might need to set it to delay or stop updates because MS will keep sending them !
With regard to exercising grey matter I do find adjusting and solving computer problems is good and also today I went for a long walk to keep the old legs moving.
If your laptop is suitable you might consider the big update to Windows 11 which has a much better Start menu.
You can see it on my laptop in link below ...
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/hobbies-2021.52720/post-745455

Windows 11 has a 'Go Back to Win 10' button which I used to sort a problem see #1467

I know of only two BHF members running Windows 11 ... so Windows 10 will be around for some time !
Win 11 user interface is nicer but all websites, office apps, and photo editors look just the same as with Win 10.
:)

My daughter checked her W10 (SONY) laptop: it would't upgrade to W11. Time to quit Windows.
I erased the disk and installed Linux Mint MATE.

I've been happy enough with all the Windows editions, 10 is as good as it gets, does everything I want but 11 won't work on either my laptop or desktop so 10 it stays.

I know of only two BHF members running Windows 11 ... so Windows 10 will be around for some time !
Win 11 user interface is nicer but all websites, office apps, and photo editors look just the same as with Win 10.
:)
I'm on 11 have been since the beta and I agree the ui is MUCH nicer has a Ubuntu feel about it.

Windows 10 has full support for another three years so if your machines can't run it don't worry about it. There are work arounds to install it on non compatible machines but I won't be bothering plus I'd be surprised if MS don't change the goalposts on requirements given the are billions of machines at the moment 'stuck' with W10.

A computer named csm_biscuit appeared on my Win 11 network today. Investigation showed that it was a neighbour's smart speaker !
Image1.jpg

Can someone explain to me what a Smart Speaker is ? Eric
Probably a bit of a misnomer as Smart Speakers are primarily Smart Listeners! Devices such as Amazon's 'Alexa' listen to spoken commands from their users which are sent over the internet to the server belonging to the supplier, e.g. Amazon. In response the Smart Speaker delivers a spoken reply or audio service.

For example if one said, "Alexa, play Stairway To Heaven", Amazon's server would interpret that as a request to play the song by Led Zepplin of that name.

As to what your Smart Speaker is doing the rest of the time is anyone's guess and GCHQ and NSA's certain knowledge!

With a right click on the csm_biscuit icon I had a look at it's properties
Image2.jpg
It is an Amazon Echo Dot but has not got an IP address so although it can see my router it cannot log on because it does not know my password. I could block it's MAC address but at the moment I'll just ignore it.

I'm running Windows 11 on my home laptop and have been for about two weeks with no problems. It looks a little different but seems to run faster. My work computer has Windows 10. But 11 won't work on older computers.

I have friends that use 'Alexa' all the time for turning on room lights and setting cooking timers. I can't think it can be good for the children to hear things like "Alexa! Set a four minute timer", as there is no 'please' or 'thank you' involved.

I felt that I needed an 'Alexa' too but mine doesn't listen or talk back!
alexa.jpg

What is the point ? It does not take much effort to switch on lights or draw curtains. I have a timer on my cooker anyway. This modern high tech is making everybody lazy. Maybe I live in the past. Eric
A good friend of mine who died from 'Motor Neurone Disease' not so long ago had most of the electrical items in his house controlled by 'Alexa'. He was able to operate the television, lighting, heating system, emergency contacts, telephone and radio etc.
He lived alone and was wheelchair bound with very little upper body movement. He relied on 'Alexa'.
Personally I can't see the point in having an 'Alexa' type listening device in my home and hope that one day I don't become severely disabled and change my view.

I quite like technology too, but a lot of it is like angling equipment. There to catch the fisherman not the fish.

Saying that, I have just installed a Nest smart heating controller, and have to say its super.

I quite like technology too, but a lot of it is like angling equipment. There to catch the fisherman not the fish.

Saying that, I have just installed a Nest smart heating controller, and have to say its super.
I'm the same with some technological items. problem is, should I die first my wife won't be able to turn on the heating, the electric fire, open the car door, access the bank accounts, or operate the television because they are all remote control (hand sets or an app on the phone).
When I think I have less than three months to live and my wife is still here, I will have installed in my lounge a row of LARGE different coloured switches. The switches will operate whatever that is controlled now by an app or remote control now but at the 'flick of a switch'.
A friend asked me a while back if i had put together a 'death book'. What is that? I asked.
It seems a good idea to me now. Something that your partner can access after your demise, showing them where the money is kept (wink, wink) bank passwords, computer passwords, where the will, house deeds and pension info is kept etc. I'm sure there are more bits of information that need to be passed.
Happy days.

I have friends that use 'Alexa' all the time for turning on room lights and setting cooking timers. I can't think it can be good for the children to hear things like "Alexa! Set a four minute timer", as there is no 'please' or 'thank you' involved.

I felt that I needed an 'Alexa' too but mine doesn't listen or talk back!
View attachment 164363
My Alexa is very polite. But there again I always say please and thank you to it

Ref the neighbours smart speaker trying to contact my Network I've been into the Hub settings and blocked the Mac Address of the neighbours device.

Back