• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Petrol pumps & filling stations of the past

Coventry Road Small Heath circa 1954, just down from Green Lane Junction you can see the old library and swimming baths spire in the background

Attachments

• 8369C125-32CD-48C2-9366-CE2C73E551B3.jpeg
    8369C125-32CD-48C2-9366-CE2C73E551B3.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 49
Burley's in Whitehead Street, Aston, my local garage in the 60s. I'm guessing that the photo is from mid 50s. Filled all my motorbikes and cars there until it closed in 1967 due to re-development. The proposed sign that eventually went up was the Regent logo.
Whitehead St - Burley's Garage copy.jpg

Burley's in Whitehead Street, Aston, my local garage in the 60s. I'm guessing that the photo is from mid 50s. Filled all my motorbikes and cars there until it closed in 1967 due to re-development. The proposed sign that eventually went up was the Regent logo.
View attachment 175137
Burley's was also a coach operator, and his 1949 Maudslay 'Marathon' JOP 484 is visible here. (Sorry - wrong coach identified before!)

Burley .JPG

Last edited:
Colliers Garage (source Birmingham Forum.co.uk)

Attachments

• 03E671F3-73BF-4242-B1A2-18F1A9F14B7A.jpeg
    03E671F3-73BF-4242-B1A2-18F1A9F14B7A.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 52
I think (not sure) this little petrol station was on the corner of Preston Road / Coventry Road Yardley past the Swan shopping centre towards the airport.
it was a typical small station I remember around the Small Heath, Hay Mills, and Yardley area in the 60’s

Attachments

• 6CEE77F0-DB7A-4608-88A1-7CC8356D15FF.jpeg
    6CEE77F0-DB7A-4608-88A1-7CC8356D15FF.jpeg
    567.2 KB · Views: 29
I think (not sure) this little petrol station was on the corner of Preston Road / Coventry Road Yardley past the Swan shopping centre towards the airport.
it was a typical small station I remember around the Small Heath, Hay Mills, and Yardley area in the 60’s
no that was nechells park rd garage

1943, (approx.) International (Harvester) type K8. (Or poss. KB8, seems to be some disagreement about this.)

Probably imported to the U.K. in ckd kits and assembled here.
I’ll give you a date from the plate when I can find my book!

GLM: London, 10/41 to 2/42.
appears to be rhd, (wiper and steering wheel visible) so probably supplied via Canada.

I wonder if they traded in American cars? There appears to be two or three in the image, but difficult to identify as facing away from the camera. Also two Austins, a Morris, and Morris-Commercial truck side-on.

p.s. I like that back to back seat. Don’t recall seeing one quite like that before.

Last edited:
1943, (approx.) International (Harvester) type K8. (Or poss. KB8, seems to be some disagreement about this.)

Probably imported to the U.K. in ckd kits and assembled here.
I’ll give you a date from the plate when I can find my book!

GLM: London, 10/41 to 2/42.
appears to be rhd, (wiper and steering wheel visible) so probably supplied via Canada.

I wonder if they traded in American cars? There appears to be two or three in the image, but difficult to identify as facing away from the camera. Also two Austins, a Morris, and Morris-Commercial truck side-on.

p.s. I like that back to back seat. Don’t recall seeing one quite like that before.
Many thanks
Bob

They had a large garden, saw an opportunity, and opened a petrol station and garage ... :)
As more people bought cars, small garages started up and one opened in Goosemoor Lane as seen in this pic dated 1934. The large building partially showing behind the tree on the left is the Pavillion Cinema on the corner of Gravelly Lane and Chester Road.
index.php

My G Grandfathers brother Thomas Edward Johnson ( 1893-1977) served as a motor mechanic based in France during WW1 attaining the rank of Sergeant by the end of the war. Sometime in the mid 1920's he started his filling station /garage business at 44 Sutton Rd Erdington. (Newspaper reports say he was at this location for 31 years.)

When his part of Sutton Rd was demolished for redevelopment in the late 1950's he moved the business to Tyburn Road on the corner of
Wood lane, opposite Inland road. In 1970 he retired and the business was wound up. Strangely there is still a Johnson's garage at the
Tyburn Road location but as far as I can find they are not related. (Thomas had two daughters)

During his lifetime he was also chairman of the Midlands division of the Veteran cars association, taking part in rallies at home and abroad.
One of his old cars still enters in the London Brighton rallies in recent years. ( reg: AF 3870)

I remember seeing the 'Johnson's' garage sign from the top deck of the bus going to and from school at Paget Road in the sixties never
realising I was related to him. Sadly although I have around twenty press cuttings of his rallying exploits I have no images of either of his
filling station / garages.
Having said I didn't have images of his garages, Lady P has posted an image of his garage at 44 Sutton Rd.
Just the Tyburn Rd garage to find now.

Many thanks @Lady Penelope

Screenshot (618).png

There's a separate thread for Thomas Johnson's garages in the hope we can find more (and possibly a photo) of the Tyburn Road premises. Viv.

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
Back