• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Because the banner mentions King, it does not refer to a date. King George VI was the King on the occasion of VE Day, so it was appropriate the he was mentioned.
Whilst my memory is failing and not what it was. I'm sure it described it as the 'Coronation party', if not, what is the actual description?
Regards,
Keith

Just

Just love the little face peeking out between the sides of meat in the left hand window. Wonder if he was the shop's boy who wanted to get in on the photo, but wasn't important enough to stand with the family group outside?
Something I have wondered for a long time.I still hope there is someone out there who knows the answer.

I mentioned my step-father Malcolm Dyche & his father Ernest, who were professional Photographers at 354 Moseley Road, and his father Ernest previously from 1910 in Coventry Road.
Here is some more information about the business, please have a look at the Balsall Heath Local History News Letter in the attached pdf document below, giving lots more details.
Couple shown below are my Step-Father Malcolm Dyche & My mother Pauline on their wedding day (both now deceased). Does anyone have good memories of going to their studio?.

View attachment 144004View attachment 144007View attachment 144008View attachment 144044
I was very interested to see your information about your step-father Malcolm Dyche and the Dyche studios as I am working on an exhibition to be staged next year in the Library of Birmingham that will feature photographs from the studios. It would be great to get in touch with you - would that be possible? Thanks - Rita.

I was very interested to see your information about your step-father Malcolm Dyche and the Dyche studios as I am working on an exhibition to be staged next year in the Library of Birmingham that will feature photographs from the studios. It would be great to get in touch with you - would that be possible? Thanks - Rita.
I have sent you a private message
Regards RobT

Welcome Rita. I’m sure our members would like to be kept up to date about the exhibition if you’d kindly let us know through BHF. And if there’s any material you can (or are able to) share, or indeed need help with, we are always willing to help. If so perhaps you’d like to start a thread exclusively for that purpose.

Many thanks.

Viv.

Last edited:
I mentioned my step-father Malcolm Dyche & his father Ernest, who were professional Photographers at 354 Moseley Road, and his father Ernest previously from 1910 in Coventry Road.
Here is some more information about the business, please have a look at the Balsall Heath Local History News Letter in the attached pdf document below, giving lots more details.
Couple shown below are my Step-Father Malcolm Dyche & My mother Pauline on their wedding day (both now deceased). Does anyone have good memories of going to their studio?.

View attachment 144004View attachment 144007View attachment 144008View attachment 144044

I have sent you a private message
Regards RobT
Many thanks - I've picked this up and replied.
regards
Rita

Welcome Rita. I’m sure our members would like to be kept up to date about the exhibition if you’d kindly let us know through BHF. And if there’s any material you can (or are able to) share, or indeed need help with, we are always willing to help. If so perhaps you’d like to start a thread exclusively for that purpose.

Many thanks.

Viv.
Thank you Viv. I will come back to BHF as the exhibition begins to shape up a bit more.

best wishes
Rita

Great pictures of old Brumijum, brings back so many memories, lived on Elvetham Rd next door to the sweet shop, not the posh side, an Island at the bottom, Piggot St of the Island, and Bell Barn Rd turn right bottom of hill.

Does anyone know of any photos of Villa St., Lozells? (My father lived there b. 1907, don’t know which number)

HI Lyn
I Know you posted this a long time ago in this thread post 988
it caught my Eye as I was going through these great pictures, as the building was
very close to where we lived in Lawrence St about (50 feet) from our house
not wanting to nit pick, but I think you will find the side street was Duke St
going down to Coleshill St. we often played in these streets as kids
and interestingly I believe the Business is still going today, in another area of Birmingham
Barry

Attachments

• Lawrence St.jpg
    Lawrence St.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 42
Back