• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Wow...a tremendous aerial view of the Bullring development.....Market Hall and Worcester Street just about still there, pre Rotunda..beginnings of Smallbrook Queensway...Exchange and Queens Hotel still there....Hipodrome Tower...extensive markets etc....Brilliant find for me...

View attachment 95259

I think its amazing too, Dennis. Will be spending hours over that come the weekend. Is it part of a series, I wonder?

Ok.....but surely someone might notice THIS one..?
View attachment 95269
Fantastic picture of New Street, Dennis. Looks to be about 1910. The Theatre Royal is on the right and according to my Godfrey map there should be a picture house just beyond that. The name under the large clock appears to read "Stalding" but does not mean anything to me. Extreme top left I can read the word "Irish" but not the other words. Thanks. Dave.

Loved both of them Dennis! The painting of the town hall which was a bit ambitious, and the great photo of New Street, with showing Colonnade Passage and the Colonnade Hotel - a hotel of which I have never heard.

Fantastic picture of New Street, Dennis. Looks to be about 1910. The Theatre Royal is on the right and according to my Godfrey map there should be a picture house just beyond that. The name under the large clock appears to read "Stalding" but does not mean anything to me. Extreme top left I can read the word "Irish" but not the other words. Thanks. Dave.

I think the lettering says Irish House. The Bodega was at no 62. At no 63 in 1913 was John Wilson & Son, Belfast Ltd, linen manufacturers

cracking photo of new st...mike are we looking towards the town hall or the bull ring ive lost me bearings again lol...i also noticed the no 57 above the clock..would that have been the no of building...

lyn

Last edited:
Forum back on after a break.
Lyn
We are looking towards the bullring, froma point between Christchurch passage and Bennetts Hill

Mike your photo looks as if it was taken from the portico roof of the RSBA, Jayell The Colonnade Hotel was sandwiched between Colonnade Passage & Ethel St and was replaced by the new Woolworth Building in the 60's.

Attachments

• City New Street - Ethel St Colonnade Hotel .jpg
    City New Street - Ethel St Colonnade Hotel .jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 102
  • City New Street Woolworths new building.jpg
    City New Street Woolworths new building.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 109
All great pics,bringing back so many memories of my childhood. I lived in Park St,Aston, off the Litchfield Road, was born there,and lived there till I was 18yrs..

Thanks for the information Phil. I now know exactly where the Colonnade Hotel was situated on New Street as I remember well the old Woolworths building there in the 60s.

Judy

The tag says Albert St 1960, the problem is I used the number 50 bus on a regular basis back then it was the last bus stop on the left at the top of the hill and the thing is I don't remember it being two way traffic back then. Is it just my memory playing tricks on me?

Attachments

• City Albert St 1960 .jpg
    City Albert St 1960 .jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for the information Phil. I now know exactly where the Colonnade Hotel was situated on New Street as I remember well the old Woolworths building there in the 60s.

Judy

Indeed Jayell....one of m all time favourite buildings....the Hotel, NOT Woolies!

Colonnade  Woolworth Building.jpgColonnade Hotel 1900.jpgColonnade Hotel 1960s.jpg

The tag says Albert St 1960, the problem is I used the number 50 bus on a regular basis back then it was the last bus stop on the left at the top of the hill and the thing is I don't remember it being two way traffic back then. Is it just my memory playing tricks on me?

I can't speak for 1960 but my memory of Albert Street in the early 1980s was that it was two way traffic going down under Moor Street Ringway to the car parks.

I can't speak for 1960 but my memory of Albert Street in the early 1980s was that it was two way traffic going down under Moor Street Ringway to the car parks.

Yes but wasn't that when all the bus terminus's were on The High Street or Carr Lane?

I think it's easy to think of Albert Street as one way as it was really quite narrow. My bus used to stop at the toop of the hill too, but I do remember seeing cars parked outside some of the shops on the other side as this picture shows. There was one particular place, don't remember the name, but it was not a regular shop, and I think you had to have an appointment. Always had about three dresses in the window. This place was a fascination for me and I clearly remember people coming out and getting into their car - observations from the bus!

Love the pics Dennis. The Colonnade Hotel really looked something special - how tragic to have replaced it with the box-like Woolworths building. I can remember grocery shopping in that Woolworths in the early 60's. I don't remember the Colonnade building (picture 3) but I suppose my mind was on other things in those days! And I suppose in the 60's we thought it was 'cool' and modern to see these stark buildings replacing our old ones. But we lost so many of our beautiful buildings - wouldn't we be proud Brummies to have them back again today!

Judy

Hi Phil
It was across the road from the news Thearter of dale end
And the down below ground where the public toilets was situated just across the way was Henrys big store
Which was just across the main road of Albert Street and there was always a copper on duty in what they called there summer coat ,
A white one looked like a huge white over coat conducting the traffic from all directions coming from the old co/op and marks and sparked
Littlewods and traffic coming up from Aston always swung around the island by those under ground toilets by the copper
That's where there was a lot of the bus terminus was for virtually all the busses so really and techically facing Albert street
And the old Bee hive the old busses from Aston and within and erdinton all stopped and unloaded and then area yards up from there was another parade of bus stops from different parts of brum stood and unloaded and loaded back up again
Even the west brom buses and that direction loaded there until area years later in life they moved those seventys
Wolverham
Ton west brom Smethwick to around by snow hill side out side the snow hill station to head back
This his the forty and fifths and up to the early sixties when brum started to redevelop and it all changed Henry gone and demoed
Then rachams the whole city comp.etely bamboodle cards lane stated and change by the late sixty early seventy
And then there was the ones coming down corporation street and around and heading for the later city areas
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,, Alan,,,,,,,,,

Back