• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Thank you Lyn, that would be great

Judy
Hi my name is babul Miah I’m new to this website, I’m so interested in history of my town Birmingham I live in Aston and in Ruskin close off Victoria Rd. Can I plz request you for some pictures of Victoria Rd? Than you so very much. X

I have inherited some albums a few of Erdington wished there was more of Erdington back in the 20s/30s

Attachments

• F065A585-C83D-4C86-BB29-4B336BA2F379.jpeg
    F065A585-C83D-4C86-BB29-4B336BA2F379.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 55B46953-F6BA-48BB-BCD7-BED6D80BCE6E.jpeg
    55B46953-F6BA-48BB-BCD7-BED6D80BCE6E.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 87
  • BF81D8AB-7DCC-4938-8D7C-70E72A93D351.jpeg
    BF81D8AB-7DCC-4938-8D7C-70E72A93D351.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 9DCE23B9-1292-42C3-8BD6-87E80335CDB4.jpeg
    9DCE23B9-1292-42C3-8BD6-87E80335CDB4.jpeg
    991.1 KB · Views: 84
Yes, a lovely picture. Morturn, the building behind looks like a business doesn't it? I'm trying to picture the park without the pre-fabs which were built post-war. The railings are right for the original park. I'll try to find a map.

Some slight edits on these 1920s photos

1_Obviously Erdington High Street, the churchyard wall and tramtracks visible.
1_mmF065A585-C83D-4C86-BB29-4B336BA2F379.jpg

2_They are sitting inside a park with a road behind and possibly a shop.
2_m55B46953-F6BA-48BB-BCD7-BED6D80BCE6E.jpeg

3_The boy stands looking relaxed (cool) with high waist trousers and braces just like the clothes I wore in the 1940s.
3_mBF81D8AB-7DCC-4938-8D7C-70E72A93D351.jpeg

4_Interesting motor bike, and she sits side saddle.
4_m9DCE23B9-1292-42C3-8BD6-87E80335CDB4.jpeg

Last edited:
The only name I know is Dorothy Stretton, she lived for the church, no children, done lots of work with World Aid and lots of charities. Dorothy and Norah were friends, she became I’ll and Norah looked after her, then went into a home and she left her house to my mother-in-law. Baz bought it off his mom. The rest is history. Dorothy is the little girl in the picture who is 3 years, that now is my back garden. Going through the photo’s her mother was Lily Stretton, and S Stretton was her father. The album I found is falling apart it has photo’s which are post cards. Some have writing on. I can’t ask Norah as she past away, and my father-in-law has the later end Alzheimer’s so he won’t remember. There are lots of holiday photo’s Great Yarmouth, Bournemouth and Mumbles where ever that is, some beautiful old photo’s but no names. I wish I had some answers.

S Stretton looks to be Sydney Arthur Stretton. They are listed at what I presume is now your house in 1939.

He appears to have been the youngest of 12 (7 boys, 5 girls).

The Mumbles is on the Gower Peninsular, near Swansea.

Last edited:
S Stretton looks to be Sydney Arthur Stretton. They are listed at what I presume is now your house in 1939.

He appears to have been the youngest of 12 (7 boys, 5 girls).

The Mumbles is on the Gower Peninsular, near Swansea.
Thanks for that, Mr S Stretton was father, Mrs Lily Stretton mother of Dorothy Stretton they moved in 1933 I think will check. We moved in 1998, and still here after 22 yrs. Yes lots of photo’s writing on the back of some. I have to check and put names to pictures. I was wondering where Mumbles was. Did you know of them?

No, I don't know of them. Just interesting and there's lots of info out there. It's also a little sad when there's no family to pass keepsakes to.

Sydney and Lily are listed at 3 Chudleigh Road on the 1930 ER.

Lily was Lily May Edwards born Derby, where they married.

Those are super photos. I am trying to place the location of the Short Heath Park photo
Morturn, I think this must be Goosemoore Lane. There were roads only on two sides of the park and the other one was Court Lane. I'm thinking that the wooden gate may be the Goosemoor Lane entrance to Aston Unity cricket ground. What do you think?

Morturn, I think this must be Goosemoore Lane. There were roads only on two sides of the park and the other one was Court Lane. I'm thinking that the wooden gate may be the Goosemoor Lane entrance to Aston Unity cricket ground. What do you think?
I think you could be right. Although I don’t recall a gate across the Aston Unity Cricket Ground entrance, it does not meant there was not gates. Certainly, the fencing looks right and as you say, the Park is only on two roads.

Have you tried asking your father in law about the photos, despite his Alzheimer’s it might stir a memory or two?
I always bring up his past talked where he was born. He left Sutherland St. age 12/13 and moved to Turpitts lane. He always talked of John Mountford best mates playing after school, John’s parents owned Mountford Bakery. He lived in Sutherland St. He always talked of the RAF he worked on the plains, went to Singapore. Sorry to say saw him yesterday and the way he was talking as if it sounded if it’s his last days. He is 94 years. He wants to go. I will ask again next visit.

No, I don't know of them. Just interesting and there's lots of info out there. It's also a little sad when there's no family to pass keepsakes to.

Sydney and Lily are listed at 3 Chudleigh Road on the 1930 ER.

Lily was Lily May Edwards born Derby, where they married.
Original birth certificate and a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate, Witton cemetery. Envelope says mothers, birth, marriage and death certificates.1870DECB-CEB3-47A8-B05D-B5284B072BC9.jpegAB0F86D6-9E40-4B2C-BB54-A8FDC0876674.jpeg

I think you could be right. Although I don’t recall a gate across the Aston Unity Cricket Ground entrance, it does not meant there was not gates. Certainly, the fencing looks right and as you say, the Park is only on two roads.
I'll try to get down there just to satisfy my curiosity. There definitely wasn't a solid gate at the entrance in my memory but there's at least 20/25 years between this photo and when I would have been taking notice.

They're all lovely pictures but I think the one on the bench is my favourite.

Jackie & Morturn,
Looking at the new photos of 'Shortheath Park' I now think they could be of the green area along Turfpits Lane and that the building with the gate is the Golden Cross which was on the corner of Turfpits Lane and Shortheath Road. This would be before the shops and pre-fabs were built. It's almost definitely a pub and there wasn't one in Court Lane or that part of Goosemoor Lane. Thoughts?

Jackie & Morturn,
Looking at the new photos of 'Shortheath Park' I now think they could be of the green area along Turfpits Lane and that the building with the gate is the Golden Cross which was on the corner of Turfpits Lane and Shortheath Road. This would be before the shops and pre-fabs were built. It's almost definitely a pub and there wasn't one in Court Lane or that part of Goosemoor Lane. Thoughts?
I recall the Golden Cross as an imitation half timberd building, so not sure.

Back