• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Green Lane Small Heath FH Henshaw's house ,he was a noted Victorian artist , it never looked like that when I lived around the corner

Berniew,

Here is a better view of Henshaw's Cottage

Attachments

• Small Heath Henshaws Cottage Green Lane.jpg
    Small Heath Henshaws Cottage Green Lane.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 54
Berniew

I've lightened up your photo a little, I don't think it's any of The Oxford Streets in Birmingham, although it does remind me of the flat bit of Spring Hill a little.

Attachments

• !!oxfpord%20street%20birmingham[1].jpg
    !!oxfpord%20street%20birmingham[1].jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 53
I've altered it so you can see it a bit better. I agree it looks nothing like the oxford st in london or birmingham.However I note that there is a full stop between the oxford and the st. Could it mean that it was a streetin Oxford?. the doors on the far right say "All Saints". there seem to be a lot of spiky buildings in hte distance to the left, which could be oxford colleges.

2121oxfpord_street_birminghamA.jpg

mike its strange that the building on the right says all saints...i think springhill was in the district of all saints...just a thought that the first spikey building could be springhill library...just thinking outloud here as phil mentioned it had a look of springhill..im probaby way off the mark...

lyn

Last edited:
Well Lyn
Going by the red brick building of the library designed in 1721 and along spring hill there is also red brick building
And one in particular towards the top end of the picture looks like it was a public house and that could have been the old coach and horses pub
And just. Visible you could see two or three nobbily post very faintly and I also remember that these post was there in the early fifty
And closely behind there was an house which sort have layed back slightly and it was laying close to st peters church
A little drop back from the end building which I say would have beedn the coach and horses pub
If you can look closely you see what appears a little menus box which sometimes you see on the front door but in those days it was the opening times
And just past there there was a huge building which I have said many years ago it was some kind of school and yet again it was in a red brick
And a huge amount of steps to walk up on the front to enter the building it was a church of some kind or a college
Also image looked at some history knowledge of the area and it does state this in that period was classed as oxford street
With all the business factory s silversmiths and alsorts of business stating oxford street during this period
We moved into this area of spring hill in around the early fifty from Aston now these building are Victorian and I can tell you
That at spring hill cross roads in the middle of the road there was some kind of historian building still left there
And if we had some one from bill London's family whom was around there they could confirm it I myself can confirm it
About this little building stuck in the middle of the road it was a perminate building also I can say that it was only the either night amongst my books I actually seen it
So I will get that book out tomorrow and it was almost in direct with Mr bill landons. Shop at spring hill facing is shop window as I went with my dad to his shop
And also you may recall a picture of a fire place in bills old shop which was in the Sunday mercury which I also wrote and confirmed ten years ago as it was on this forum some one wrote and had it confirmed if you asked asked com you will also she these business was clashed as oxford street way back in 1825
May I add that on the spring hill by what I said about the coach and horses there was some little shops and the gap between the pub and the shops they knocked down and that made st peters look further back than it was the vicars house was always next to the church gates on George st west
And its a petty we do not have any relatives of the Allinbones family whom was around there because they NAD three or four shops along the spring hill
And right on the very corner where those post was as dwell as up spring hill passage they was there from dot
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,,,,

I can see that the picture in post #4021 in not Oxford street off Digbeth. Could it be Digbeth taken from Oxford street? Merry Christmas Moss.

hi folks and a happy new year to you all....ive only just noticed but since i started this thread just 2 years ago it has had nearly half a million views...just goes to show the power of the photograph....anyhow i have now finished with my 2014 calendar and thought you may like to see the photos shown for each month of the year...have to say dont think i have seen any of these before and my favourite has to be the one of hampstead colliery..there is just something about it...ok here we go...12 to look at...

lyn

Attachments

• img779.jpg
    img779.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Back