• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Trams only ran into the village between the end of 1922 and the beginning of 1937, just over 14 years. Like you Eddie I went to Acocks Green Infants but not until 1945.

I recall going to classes in that building, but it was only for "A" levels, probably 1961 or thereabouts I remember bunking off to go to see "Psycho"

hi all
im looking for any photos of 153 new john street Birmingham in 1938 has this is the address where my dad was born
kind regards

Thanks for those two Saltley pictures. Haven't been down that way for ages, went on Google and didn't recognize a thing, much more familiar with the scene as shown in your prints.

hi folks as we are coming up to nearly half a million views on this very popular thread i thought to celebrate this milestone i would sort out a few more piccies to ...will sort them out today but most likely wont be able to post them until tomorrow so watch this space..

lyn

hi ya carol always happy to post photos...ive sorted out about 20 so far will post them in the morning...

lyn x

Lets hope that there are enough safeguards on the site now to stop them being hacked again Lyn.Paul

paul i am sure that the site is much more secure now as security was upgraded after the hacking in 2011..as you know its not a free to run site we rely on the generous donations of our members to keep us going and we do have a click on to donate sign at the top left of the page so long may we continue paul...

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
as promised folks a few more to look at..hopefully some new ones..
pic 3 AB ROW.HOW ST

lyn

Attachments

• img833.jpg
    img833.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 196
  • img834.jpg
    img834.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 200
  • img835.jpg
    img835.jpg
    974.9 KB · Views: 193
  • img836.jpg
    img836.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 184
last 4 for now folks..every pic tells a story and no more than in pic 4..always been a favourite of mine showing the running aston brook high st with the aston hippodrome in the distance...fanscinating photo..

Attachments

• img849.jpg
    img849.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 187
  • img850.jpg
    img850.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 188
  • img851.jpg
    img851.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 187
  • img852.jpg
    img852.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Thanks for posting these pics lyn, they remind me of the days when you could go "window shopping" and lovely things were on display, instead of shutters.
rosie.

Great photos Lyn. I set myself the task of looking at finding products or services that have now virtually disappeared or gone altogether. (Yes I know I should be doing more important things!!) Here's a few:

Stove enamelling
Nylons
Hosiery Department
Tobacconist
Ironmongery

The world has changed.

Love the photo of Temple Row. Werff! I remember them but not on that site.They had various shops in the 60s. It was always a shop that Mum and I went in when we went into Town. Must have had a fair few items of clothing from there. Think it mostly sold 'Separates' (another retail word that's disappeared). And for those younger members who don't know the meaning of separates it was tops and bottoms I.e. cardigans, blouses and skirts and trousers. Hence the meaning of Lewis Separates, another popular shop in the 50s/60s.

Viv.

Great pics Lyn. I loved the one of Temple Row #4493. It brought back memories, particularly the shop called Werff. I don't remember ever going in there as I think it was quite an expensive Ladies' Shop, but the name is very familiar to me. And also Burnsteins #4495, another Ladies' Gowns & Millinery, but I think it was on Soho Road not Soho Hill. I must have walked passed there hundreds of times.

Judy

Great photos as usual Lyn, it transports me back to my boy hood, you can feel the cold of those days, and to see things you had totally forgotten "Ovaltine " signs, and Wimbush the bakers, and littlewoods and cars with leather radiator covers on them. Thanks for reposting, regards Paul.

Great pictures. The one of Aston High Street makes me wonder if anyone has a photo of the High Street near Six Ways showing Fawcett's Ironmongers before they built the new Birchfield Road. It was at number 10. Richard Tatt

glad you all enjoying the photos folks i will try and get some more on during the week...paul i get transported back so many time looking at them..sometimes i wonder what year i am in lol

lyn

Thanks for posting these pics lyn, they remind me of the days when you could go "window shopping" and lovely things were on display, instead of shutters.
rosie.

I used to like shops that had a window that was separate, so that you could walk all the way around it. I think there was a shop like that at the bottom of Belchers Lane. There's probably a name for the style of window. I still like them, but they're very rare now. Perhaps they're thought to be not very secure.

maria

Lovely photos, Lyn.

Seeing the shop windows, the names above them, and the buildings, it all reminds me of the days when I walked the streets of Brum. Nothing illegal! Lovely memories from many, many years ago. Gives me a warm feeling in my old age.

Eddie

Back