• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

saltley 1911 railway sytrike looks like a funeral to me.jpgsaltley 1911 railway strike lawlwey street (2).jpg% crossing saltley bridge.jpg%molliette street.jpgOutside Metro Cammell works Saltley High Street 1911 Lawley Street 1911during Railway strike , Saltley Bridge , Molliett Street off Dudley Road

cracking photos bernie only seen pic 1 before and i have never heard of mollinette st hockley wonder where that was...

lyn

Maybe a misprint Lin - There was/is a Moillett St off Dudley Rd, just before Rotton Park Rd, but on the opposite side.

cracking photos bernie only seen pic 1 before and i have never heard of mollinette st hockley wonder where that was...

lyn

Maybe a misprint Lin - There was/is a Moillett St off Dudley Rd, just before Rotton Park Rd, but on the opposite side.
Bri

It was nice to see another photo of Dennison Watch Case on Phyllis Nicklins new photos.View attachment 97320

And except for one (the Renault Dauphine) every other vehicle a proud example of British motor manufacturing. Phyllis' pictures are so amazing in their clarity one can almost imagine the scenes of a model village, or part of a model railway setup.

Bri

It's between Dugdale St and Winson St as you approach the City from Cape Hill.

love this pic been looking for years to find one like this i went to this school in the 60 right untill we left aston in 69

I have joined this site as i owe to you & oldMohawk for posting the only known photo of the American Fresh Meat company, As the Meat Trade Historian on FLICKR with 1500 pics & 3 Million hits i thought i would never see one,
The A F M Co was started by John Bell a Glaswegian & later his sons who became Sir John & Henry,
They were importing live cattle from New York to Liverpool & later with the advent of freezer ships carcase,s from Mr Timothy Courser Eastman of the plains of Wyoming.
There was resistance to this so called inferior meat so Eastman told Bell to open retail shops to the number of 333 called the A F M co,
In 1889 the Company of Eastmans was formed taking in the New York abattoir & storage & the Uk shops & cold stores with Eastman & the Bells on the board, Although by 1900 Eastman went back to New York & the Bell brothers done other things, The Company was headed by Lord Greville & Mr Thompson MD, Eastmans built up to 1700 shops by 1914 but closed 500 due to lack of men & meat, Sold to Vestey in 1923 (Dewhurst).
So the answer to oldMohawk query is the photo was before 1889 as after that it was Eastmans Ltd.

Mine also Dave - it served us very well for many a year. Trying desperately to recall its Reg'n No but only got as far as '95** VC' so far. Coventry registered cars often had the 4 numerals and two letter plates.
Our family car was 42KV Bernard, dad told me the Coventry plates were KV. Parents had a cream Ford Anglia with a red interior. It smelt inside made me feel carsick. I was glad when they got shut of it.

Several pics I can relate to there Lyn. My mom was born and grew up in Clifton Road and went to Upper Thomas Street School - although it was more than 50 years before these photos were taken.

Judy
My grandfathers sister ran ashop in clifford street number 90 and there name was winwood ,my grandfather lived at number 96

Northfield,

Excellent photographs and the 1910 one is so full of atmosphere. Thanks for posting.

Maurice

NORTHFIELD:

Many thanks for the lovely photograph of the dear old Mermaid Hotel. Happy musical memories for me.

As Maurice so rightly says, full of atmosphere. The turn off to Warwick Road is hardly noticeable, but the Victorian architecture is magnificent.

Somewhere I have a couple of photographs taken inside the ballroom. I will sort them out, and post them on this website.

Eddie (norfolk brummie).

Carolina
What year do you reckon it was the head masters house then,
For as long as I can recall over the years I Attended the school for years it was the caretakers house right up until the late fifty
I attended from junior till senior it was always the caretakers house is garden and side entrance and back door was in the play ground Astonian,,,,

I would imagine when the school was originally built, Alan, probably in the 1840's, but they did get used in the mid 20th C for the caretakers as the head master owned his own home by then. Regards Paul

Screenshot (147).jpgScreenshot (146).jpg

Help! I have known the older picture for years, its Stockfield Rd., Yardley 1928.I have always taken it to be near to the corner of Waterloo Rd. I lived and worked nearby for years so just knew! However if you look at the present day Google picture the roof lines are all wrong. So just where on Stockfield Rd. is this picture taken? Webbs had a place on Yardley Rd in 1970's next to the cemetery. The major dualling of the road had been done in 1926 apart from the railway bridge which didn't happen until 1941.

In 1921 Walter Wilfred Webb had a shop at 372 Stockfield road. By 1932 it was run by Alfred Burley. Thomas Walter Webb had a place then at 87 Church Road Yardley, but that was a different Webb. It is shown in red on the c1951 map below

map_c_1951_showing_372_Stockfield_road.jpg

Back