• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

% STRATFORD ROAD SPARKBROOK.jpg% SPARKHILL 1904.jpg% STRATFORD RD SPARKBROOK.jpgA couple of early postcards of Stratford Road think the first one may be from Erasmus Road 2nd from around Showell Green Lane , no idea on the 3rd

Bernie

Your first is taken from the junction of Main Street, the second is the junction of Popular Rd and the last is from the junction of Baker Street.

Does anyone now when the ORIGINAL Ring O’Bells in Church Road, Yardley, was built? In it’s blurbs, the Yardley Conservation site claims that the original (presumably the one before this one) was opposite St Edburgh's Church, where the Cottagers Institute is now …Now nowhere in any published history books, or maps of the area, is there any reference to this…I know there was a Ring O’Bells cottages and Inn opposite St Giles Church in Church Road, SHELDON….and maybe this is the root cause of the claim about Yardley? Mistaken identity? I would dearly like to know, as I have a fiver on it with the Church warden lady opposite me! I have written to the YCS, but so far they have blanked me....

Yardley Church Road 1840-1938.jpgBells Inn.jpgCottagers Institute 1936.jpgRing O Bells Cottages Church Road Sheldon.jpgYardley Village Map .jpg

Dennis

I have never come across any definite mention of a Ring o Bells opposite St Edburgh's, though I do remember reading somewhere that mentions 3 different Ring o Bells being built. I can't remember where I read it and there was nothing more than that. I'll see if I can trace it back to one of my books.

Dennis

I suppose you do know the Yardley Conservation Society mention the first Ring o Bells and it's location?

https://www.yardleyconservationsociety.co.uk/Conservation Area.html

Yes, and I mentioned them in my first post....but since then....I found this....I am undone! My cup runneth under....Mike Byrne, the Acocks Green Librarian, and book author of "Yardley"....has this in his book...and I'm not arguing with HIM!!! I will pay up and look big, as my nan always maintained...

Bells 1937.jpg

And your reference to that is?

My Dearest Northfield....I am a ditz and a bounder....and I would like to apologise profusely for my abruptness....if anyone should ask you again for proof..ever......show them this.....the Tithe map of Yardley dated 1843...and note where the Cottagers Institute was...no 468 I reckon....then check this against the list of owners...and 468 is listed as "BEER HOUSE AND GARDENS".....the original Ringers opposite St Edburgh's...I found this myself, so cannot even blame Phil or mike, which I usually do....I am wearing the requisite sackcloth and ashes......sorry mate.....I am STILL learning......

Tithe Map1843 copy.jpgTith List of owners copy.jpg

$HillStreet-HinckleyStreet_zps8b76cf30.jpgDoes anyone know what this building at the junction of Hill Street and Hinkley Street was , seems to have cars on two levels and is on fire , undated but looks around the 40s . The damage seems to suggest an air raid

Bernie

The building belonged to Henry Garner, Motor Agents and it was bombed out during the war. The building was never replaced and later became Alex's pie stand.

Thank you Carolina, I was a bit hurt until I noticed the bridal shop by the bus stop, LOL.

Last edited:
Hi Dennis Williams, (Re the Yardley Ring O Bells)
No worries. Sorry I am slow to reply, but I don't seem to have much time to come on here at the moment.

HELP! Not being a proper history buff having wonderful collections of old maps and photographs I merely rely on memory, which is usually pretty good. In a recent post of Carrs Lane there was clearly a picture of "The Firebird" coffee bar circa 1960. This has thrown doubt on what was a vivid memory, I used to go to The Firebird but I remember it being overlooking a "green" at the rear of Carrs Lane church (New Meeting St. perhaps?).

I also used to go the Firebird Jazz Club in Carrs Lane, in the early 60s, devonjim, but I can't say I remember a 'green' near it. It was all built up around that area. Judy

Firebird (3) (800x532).jpg

HELP! Not being a proper history buff having wonderful collections of old maps and photographs I merely rely on memory, which is usually pretty good. In a recent post of Carrs Lane there was clearly a picture of "The Firebird" coffee bar circa 1960. This has thrown doubt on what was a vivid memory, I used to go to The Firebird but I remember it being overlooking a "green" at the rear of Carrs Lane church (New Meeting St. perhaps?).

There is a bit of a green space behind Carrs Lane Church now but how long it's been there or whether it is a space where they more recently demolished a building I don't know.

img067.jpg

Early C20 picture of Chamberlain Square. I had forgotten that the steps in front of the library where not a feature of the earlier square.

View attachment 97071

Early C20 picture of Chamberlain Square. I had forgotten that the steps in front of the library where not a feature of the earlier square.

I spent one term attending lectures in that large red brick building when it was still Birmingham University. All I can remember of it is one stairwell where it looked as if any broken furniture was just thrown down it. And yes devonjim, if the steps had been there before, the Edmund Street buses would have fallen down them.

View attachment 97070

Early C20 picture of Acock's Green village. Remember Woolworths on the right?

What I do remember is the terminus, with the trams arriving and turning in a circle, before returning to the City, and the lovely tram shelter, that followed the tram lines circle. Like a smaller version of the lovely old Lickey Hills terminus. I commenced school at Acocks Green Infant School in 1937. It was a lovely village. Thanks for the photo, Jim.

Eddie

Back