• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

Dennis
As I said before, I think (but cannot be certain) that the 1851 house was demolished in the late 19th century

Dennis
I've overlaid a map c 1889 on google, as seen below, an to make it clearer have marked area on a plain google shot . It looks like it is on ther site of one end of the building.

overlay_228_moseley_road_2.jpg

overlay_228_moseley_road_3.jpg

All the information that is required comes with this photo, it is pre 1914 and is taken on the Bristol Rd at Selly Oak and the bus marked Rednal is on its way the Licky Hills is just approaching Oak Tree Lane on the right of the photo. I think I would have recognised it as Selly Oak without the info, but I'm not sure I would have gotten where it was.

Attachments

• Selly Oak Bristol Rd pre 1914.jpg
    Selly Oak Bristol Rd pre 1914.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 75
Love that bus Phil! Now, another hopeful plea for help...this is a bit more local to me, but I thought I would ask the detectives whilst they are hot!.....one of the nice buildings in Yardley Village, where I live, is the Cottagers Institute, bang opposite the Church.....No.433 Church Road, the Cottagers Institute...it is dated on the gable 1882. It was set up by Ebenezer Hoskins of bedstead fame etc, once of the Grange, another old local historic building, to teach gardening and industrial skills to local people.....Now for a long time, there has been dispute in my mind, as in the Yardley Trust notes it states that this "Cottagers' plot was originally the site of the original Ring O'Bells pub...my favourite watering hole....now all gone....but I have never seen this mentioned in any old maps or in any books on the History of Yardley.....can anyone confirm or deny this argument with proof? Pretty Please...my neighbour and I have a fiver riding on it!!

Cottagers Institute 1936.jpgView attachment 96826Cottagers now.jpgYardley The Cottagers Institute.jpgYardley Church Road 1840-1938.jpg

Hi

Just make out the Post office where Nan got her pension up to 1983. The Family lived at 533 Church Road.
All gone now Happy days in the Park Tennis and the Youth Club.

Mike Jenks.

Dennis

I can't speak for what was on the site of the Cottagers Institute prior to that establishment, but I can tell you that the Old Ring of Bells was in more or less the same position as its replacement except for the fact that it might have encroached onto the land where The Grange stood nearer to Barrows Lane. I have no doubt that Mike will be delighted to furnish you with the maps.

Can't help there Dennis. The first reasonably large scale OS map for Yardley was published 1888 and probably surveyed c 1885-6. This marks the cottagers Institute being there, and the pub in the same place as later. Don't have an earlier map

Thanks for trying boys...I just had to check you two out before some time consuming research...ho. hum...will ket you know if anything turns up...

Another query....doing a bit on Sheldon and Elmdon and came across this pic showing a pub I've only vaguely heard of...The Cock Inn....on Coventry Road where the old Elmdon airport entrance is now..? Any one got a better picture of the pub Phil...and a map mike?

Cock Inn Sheldon.jpg

The original Ring O Bells was opposite Yardley Church, the dark building. It was moved away from the church, because of protests about alcohol being served so close to the church. The same thing happened with The Ring O Bells, opposite St Giles Sheldon.

I remember when the Walsall Rd (A34) and the Aldridge Rd (A453) were single carriageway roads. I think the old pic below shows the Aldridge Rd between the Tame Bridge and Perry Barr, but here is something unusual in this 1960s pic namely the No 51 bus which appears to be 'off route'. The No 51 usually travelled from the Scott Arms along the Walsall Rd through Perry Barr to the city centre. The Midland Red originally ran the Nos 188 (Beeches Estate), 119 (Scott Arms), and 118 (Walsall) in the Great Barr district and when the River Tame flooded, these buses diverted along Church Lane on to the Aldridge Rd. Sometime around 1960, B.C.T. took over the 188 and 119 services numbering them 52 and 51. Flood prevention work eventually removed the need for diversions so there must be another reason for this number 51 travelling off route.

The old 1960's pic,
note the small window position
on the white house, also the chimney style.
AldRoad.jpg

Todays pic,
those windows etc are circled.
The house looks as if it is being demolished.
a453today.JPG
This pic shows the Walsall Rd and original single carriageway on the left, it looks slightly similar to the old pic. The 51 bus would have gone along here before diversion.
A34.jpg
It could be the wrong number on the bus !

Last edited:
The original Ring O Bells was opposite Yardley Church, the dark building. It was moved away from the church, because of protests about alcohol being served so close to the church. The same thing happened with The Ring O Bells, opposite St Giles Sheldon.

And your reference to that is?

Another query....doing a bit on Sheldon and Elmdon and came across this pic showing a pub I've only vaguely heard of...The Cock Inn....on Coventry Road where the old Elmdon airport entrance is now..? Any one got a better picture of the pub Phil...and a map mike?

View attachment 96858
The garage shown on the left is now the KIA car showroom and the farm buildings are still standing.
Nick

I remember when the Walsall Rd (A34) and the Aldridge Rd (A453) were single carriageway roads. I think the old pic below shows the Aldridge Rd between the Tame Bridge and Perry Barr, but here is something unusual in this 1960s pic namely the No 51 bus which appears to be 'off route'. The No 51 usually travelled from the Scott Arms along the Walsall Rd through Perry Barr to the city centre. The Midland Red originally ran the Nos 188 (Beeches Estate), 119 (Scott Arms), and 118 (Walsall) in the Great Barr district and when the River Tame flooded, these buses diverted along Church Lane on to the Aldridge Rd. Sometime around 1960, B.C.T. took over the 188 and 119 services numbering them 52 and 51. Flood prevention work eventually removed the need for diversions so there must be another reason for this number 51 travelling off route.

The old 1960's pic,
note the small window position
on the white house, also the chimney style.
View attachment 96862

Todays pic,
those windows etc are circled.
The house looks as if it is being demolished.
View attachment 96863

This pic shows the Walsall Rd and original single carriageway on the left, it looks slightly similar to the old pic. The 51 bus would have gone along here before diversion.
View attachment 96864

It could be the wrong number on the bus !​

The blind looks as though it's positioned in between destinations so it could have been on road test if it were based at a local garage.

Another mystery property, currently looking very threatened by works going on around the area....it looks substantial enough for a name, lovely black and white tudor timbering etc......but no one seems to knows owt about it in the local history books, not name or history etc...it's just on your left as you come off the M42 at the Coventry Rd A45, right opposite the Airport Car Park....has anyone a clue what it is/was...or at least a map may tell us the name mike? Cheers folks....

House 1 copy.jpgHouse 2 copy.jpgHouse 3 copy.jpgHouse Bing 1 copy.jpg

Dennis

The building is marked as a lodge. It and the house it served are not on the map of c1888, but are on that of 1904, with the house called "The Hut". After WW2 the house seems to have been called Wyckhams Close, and that is still there according to Google maps, though the entrance is further down the A45. Below are maps for c1937 and c1961

map__c1937_showing_lodge_A45__near_M42.jpg

map__c1961_showing_lodge_A45__near_M42.jpg

Dennis

The building is marked as a lodge. It and the house it served are not on the map of c1888, but are on that of 1904, with the house called "The Hut". After WW2 the house seems to have been called Wyckhams Close, and that is still there according to Google maps, though the entrance is further down the A45. Below are maps for c1937 and c1961

map__c1937_showing_lodge_A45__near_M42.jpg

map__c1961_showing_lodge_A45__near_M42.jpg

You absolute Beauty mike!!! first in class....eternal thanks..!

Hi

Yep just a punt.
Wyckham Blackwell.
Close by 5 Station Road Hampton Arden.
Huge Timber Merchants all over the place
Established 1885.
Seems to me to be a business man place not a farmer?
Who knows best I can do

Mike jenks.

Hi

Yep just a punt.
Wyckham Blackwell.
Close by 5 Station Road Hampton Arden.
Huge Timber Merchants all over the place
Established 1885.
Seems to me to be a business man place not a farmer?
Who knows best I can do

Mike jenks.

Wow...sounds cool mike....fabulous sleuthing as per!

Back