• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Probably a sunday. No shops open then. It must have been 1960 I would think, or perhaps 1959. Woolworths were open in the 1962 Kellys, which would refer to 1961, but nothing there in the 1961 edition, which refer to 1960.

Finally the saddest sight, unfortunately the end for many of the buildings we see in old images, strange to see the colour of the walls and the grate hanging in the air, some roofs missing and the out houses knocked down but rest of the walls standing. Very much work in progress if the man with the pickaxe is anything to go by, as usual no year or location.
View attachment 160629
This makes me think about the lives of the generations who lived in the properties. Who climbed up those hanging stairs? Did they only light the bedroom fire when someone was ill?

Finally the road sign on the wall says Ashted but which one I don't know, a few boarded up properties but the window cleaners are at the end of the street so still a bit of life. Quite imposing three storey houses, love the doorway and how there is a false window above the door. Interesting that there are two lamps together at the bottom of the road but nothing further up and a fine selection of chimney pots as you go down the road.
View attachment 160480
I love this photo Steve. It is Ashted Row. Again a stones throw from Gopsal Street. Dr Tighe and Dr Gemmell had their surgery there. They may have even lived there but from memory not too sure. I can still see Dr Gemmell with his black bag, which he carried on his home visits. He wasn't too tall but had a strong Scottish accent. The Ashted cinema may have been opposite but again not too sure. Thank you.

This makes me think about the lives of the generations who lived in the properties. Who climbed up those hanging stairs? Did they only light the bedroom fire when someone was ill?
most likely tinpot...that and maybe when moms gave birth at home..my mom had 5 of her 6 at home...

lyn

Finally the saddest sight, unfortunately the end for many of the buildings we see in old images, strange to see the colour of the walls and the grate hanging in the air, some roofs missing and the out houses knocked down but rest of the walls standing. Very much work in progress if the man with the pickaxe is anything to go by, as usual no year or location.
View attachment 160629
Thanks for the photos over the last couple of weeks Steve, they are wonderful. More tugging at the heart strings. Regards,

So this is 1991, while not so old as many of the pictures I have posted, this one of Spaghetti Junction has still changed a lot in the local area. Many of the buildings in the foreground have changed to modern units and the athletic track is no longer there. Many of the open spaces have also been built on .

can001a.jpg

This is an interesting contrast to the picture above , taken much later we are looking from Star City towards Spaghetti Junction, and all the empty space you could see in the distance above have now gone, the athletics track has disappeared and the industrial building in the foreground above have been replaced.

can002a.jpg

This an interesting picture of 293 Harborne Lane in 1971, I didn't realise there were dairy farmers in Harborne or is it just showing what the sign maker could do? In the foreground is one of the hangers for the boundary signs between wards, and in the background is an interesting pump - petrol perhaps. Also see the interesting skylight and the old style metal dustbins.

293 Harborne Lane - 71.jpg

Nice picture of 1108 Warwick Road in 1970, Paynes shoe repairs with a bicycle propped up outside. Interesting shop next door with a Haig Whiskey sign and a neon advertising Wines from the wood. Shops with little bay windows upstairs and small attic windows. There also seems to be the remains of an advert hoarding - bit like a magic picture the more you stare at the bricks I am sure words appear !!

1108 Warwick Road - 70.jpg

This an interesting picture of 293 Harborne Lane in 1971, I didn't realise there were dairy farmers in Harborne or is it just showing what the sign maker could do? In the foreground is one of the hangers for the boundary signs between wards, and in the background is an interesting pump - petrol perhaps. Also see the interesting skylight and the old style metal dustbins.

View attachment 160872
Judging by the shape of the building on the left I think this is the place today. By the time of this photo it looks as if the premises had been taken over by the sign writers but I think it might have been a farm outlet earlier as I found this entry in 1969 phone book
1630247136637.png

Attachments

• 293 Harborne Lane - 2021.JPG
    293 Harborne Lane - 2021.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

View attachment 160872

I think it is a demonstration of their wares. The only entry around then for A.J.Fellows is:
Fellows A. J. butcher, 145a Stratford rd 11. 021-772 2678

Nice picture of 1108 Warwick Road in 1970, Paynes shoe repairs with a bicycle propped up outside. Interesting shop next door with a Haig Whiskey sign and a neon advertising Wines from the wood. Shops with little bay windows upstairs and small attic windows. There also seems to be the remains of an advert hoarding - bit like a magic picture the more you stare at the bricks I am sure words appear !!

View attachment 160882
All these have gone. Boots chemist is at 1104 on the corner of Station Road Acocks Green.
1960s map shows the sloping shop (Paynes - I assume) on the corner of Station Road
1630248392812.png

Attachments

• 1108 Warwick Road - 2021.JPG
    1108 Warwick Road - 2021.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 9
Finally a bit of historic colour The Marquis of Lorne in Cecil Street, fantastic selection of leaded glass in the pub, and the little dome with the flagpole. Red car on the left , Ansells delivery lorry on the right and a trolley of crates just leaving. Can I also draw attention to the little square lamp and the no waiting sign.

Test458.jpg

Next we have one of those non descript pictures - this is Brookvale Road in 1983 the building on the left is the junction with Birch Road, car park has a variety of cars and even two Allegros!!

View attachment 160884
Taken from the Car Park of the Yew Tree, with River Tame on the far side of the road.
Thanks Pedro that made my life easier. I can't get into the car park from Streetview so this is the best I could do.

Attachments

• Brookvale Road- 2021.JPG
    Brookvale Road- 2021.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 25
Finally a bit of historic colour The Marquis of Lorne in Cecil Street, fantastic selection of leaded glass in the pub, and the little dome with the flagpole. Red car on the left , Ansells delivery lorry on the right and a trolley of crates just leaving. Can I also draw attention to the little square lamp and the no waiting sign.

View attachment 160888
The junction of Cecil Street and Newtown Row today is very different. I had to use and old map to be sure I was in the right place
1630249145404.png

Attachments

• Marquis of Lorne 2021.JPG
    Marquis of Lorne 2021.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 43

View attachment 160888
a lovely strong building like that gone....all for a patch of grass

View attachment 160882
Another view in 1970

Paynes 1970.JPG

Also looking the other way i.e. Station Road towards the Green shops in 1934!

station road 1934.JPG

Last edited:
What a great photo which is so evocative of the 'village' as it was known then. The fact that there were tree on the island and so few cars around tells you much about how things have changed. The shops on the right were demolished in, I recall, 1973 to down to allow the building of the dreadful new shopping centre that is still there. Some great old style famility owned outlets that were sadly missed. By the way, The Payne's was a wooden temporary structure erected on the site of the 'picture house' on the corner which, apparently, only showed 'movies' and, when films with sound were introduced, was regarded as too small and replaced by the Warwick Bowl (cinema upstairs and bowling alley on ground floor).

I lived on Station Road with my parents in 1970, the end of which is just visible in this picture, and had only recently become a one way street. It used to be quite amusing to see how animated some used to get when a car turned off the Warwick Road into it.

We moved to Hall Green in 1971 but I have some very happy memories of living in 'The Green' as many people used to refer to Acocks Green.

Back