• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Finally for tonight a jewellers workshop with the half moon benches- dependant on the work a "bib " fitted to the half moon and the worker to catch any metal fragments, the brown knob bottom left is a gas tap which can be seen bottom middle which a flame was lit to assist in the work. The benches were the workers own domain - one has a glass case another a mug and there is a Baggies fixture list for 1967. There are lots of things that have disappeared over the years and this is a sight which I am sure can only be seen in museums.
Thanks for looking I won't leave it too long next time !!

Test353a.jpg

Finally for tonight a jewellers workshop with the half moon benches- dependant on the work a "bib " fitted to the half moon and the worker to catch any metal fragments, the brown knob bottom left is a gas tap which can be seen bottom middle which a flame was lit to assist in the work. The benches were the workers own domain - one has a glass case another a mug and there is a Baggies fixture list for 1967. There are lots of things that have disappeared over the years and this is a sight which I am sure can only be seen in museums.

View attachment 162049
All the stuff collected in the aprons was called lemel.

Next we have the corner of Carrs Lane and ? ( I know it says Worcester Street Warehouse but I have been caught like that before!!) Wherever it is it bares no resemblance today. Interesting shop on the corner with the clothes airier in the window and a selection of electric fires. Nice selection of vehicles with a Morris Minor gathering ging on. Fine old warehouses with metal windows - as usual no idea of a year, but there is an advert for New Zealand Cheddar bottom right.

View attachment 162045

I think it is the corner of Carrs Lane and Moor St. 1950s map lists no. 131 on the corner and next to it no. 126, a warehouse. Hard to imagine that this Moor St became the modern Moor St.

View attachment 162049
I was filming in a workshop in the big peg a couple of years ago, and this workshop was almost identical.

great photos steve good to see you back..we all need to recharge the old batteries from time to time..nice to see that baggies fixtures list it was the year before we won the fa cup

wonder where the workshop was...mort i know you was not suggesting it was taken at the big peg as it was not built in 67

lyn

Next we have the corner of Carrs Lane and ? ( I know it says Worcester Street Warehouse but I have been caught like that before!!) Wherever it is it bares no resemblance today. Interesting shop on the corner with the clothes airier in the window and a selection of electric fires. Nice selection of vehicles with a Morris Minor gathering ging on. Fine old warehouses with metal windows - as usual no idea of a year, but there is an advert for New Zealand Cheddar bottom right.

View attachment 162045
The Canford school of dancing is at no 126 Moor st in the 1958 Kellys (referring to 1957, but not in the 1961 edition (referring to 1960. In 1958 the corner shop with the drier would seem to be Town Mills

great photos steve good to see you back..we all need to recharge the old batteries from time to time..nice to see that baggies fixtures list it was the year before we won the fa cup

wonder where the workshop was...mort i know you was not suggesting it was taken at the big peg as it was not built in 67

lyn
Interestingly Lyn the Jewry workshop at the MAC is still more or less like this. Maybe a bit tidyier, but much the same.

Another transition phot, we have seen pictures without the flats and some with but this is major redevelopment. Once you get you bearings you work out what is no longer there. Looking at the council House, how close the buildings are in front of it, the building to the side of the Town Hall, the big hole and all that is now Alpha Tower etc. and ironically in all the chaos there is that little piece of green, which itself has now gone !

Test198 1.jpg

This is very much a compare and contrast picture from the previous image but again we can see the problems redevelopment caused - who can recall trying to get to Broad Street through the new library Complex, as has been said many times the way blocked by a road with pedestrians taking second place. Can someone confirm the building to the right of the new Library please

Test200 1.jpg

Here Christmas come to High Street, a few old ladies - shopping bags in hand all wrapped up waiting for the bus. A few shops I have never heard of but I am sure will bring back memories, Swears and Wells, the 60 bus off down the Coventry road and the old style bus stops enamel signs and bases made from wheel hubs. I also wonder what the building on the corner of Carrs Lane did to anyone to be knocked down and replaced?
Test232.jpg

Todays quiz - where are we - and where did we go for Gabrielle Terry Blouses?
What are we waiting to see demolished and isn't the shop sign on the right stylish!
No prises as I have no idea, bus stop on the extreme left is not in use - an unusual sign to see over the bus stop sign, and also intersting to see that " No fair offer refused " sounds pretty final for the shop there then.

Test301 1.jpg

Finally, I am not sure if I have posted this picture or if I dropped it into a link on the markets - it was only time before I duplicated a post - but I am not sure if I have. Anyway looking at the blue enamel street signs - Moat Row and Jamaica Row, on the side of the building, a GPO van, plenty of bustle man with a trolley having a chat and plenty of vans of all sizes. Note the brickwork, the roof ladder and all the chimneys on the building peeking over on the left, and the women pushing the pram with all her purchases.Test420.jpg

Doesn't time fly when you take your eye off the ball - haven't fallen out with you all, got into one of those " I'll upload some photos tomorrow" vibes and a few months have gone by!!
Anyway this is the West End Cinema, in Suffolk Street, nice few vehicles in front and Those Magnificent Men to fix the year, not sure of location but as its down hill I would say opposite side of the road to the Alex but further up?

View attachment 162044
Great photos! The West End Cinema was one of the buildings cleared for the Alpha Tower / ATV (Paradise) Centre development - you can find video of it on the MACE Archive site

Can someone confirm the building to the right of the new Library please
index.php
If your question is about the old building immediately to the right of Central Library Number 2, then it is part of Central Library Number 1. See the 1949 aerial view below ... I've shaded the tower for identification ... :)
CentralLibrary1949.jpg

Todays quiz - where are we - and where did we go for Gabrielle Terry Blouses?
What are we waiting to see demolished and isn't the shop sign on the right stylish!
No prises as I have no idea, bus stop on the extreme left is not in use - an unusual sign to see over the bus stop sign, and also intersting to see that " No fair offer refused " sounds pretty final for the shop there then.

View attachment 162078
The only address I can find for Gabrielle Terry is 1 & 2 City Arcades
but the shop we can see has a number 24 over the door. Looking at the map for c1955 I found shop number 24 Union Street was on the corner next to city arcades. Could this be it.? Hiwever, I can't find an Englands in Union Street - they were at 40 Corporation Street. Just wondering if the "everything must go" was number 23 and the window of Englands we can see is the shop numbered 42 Corporation Street.
1633339467541.png

See here

Last edited:
The only address I can find for Gabrielle Terry is 1 & 2 City Arcades
but the shop we can see has a number 24 over the door. Looking at the map for c1955 I found shop number 24 Union Street was on the corner next to city arcades. Could this be it.? Hiwever, I can't find an Englands in Union Street - they were at 40 Corporation Street. Just wondering if the "everything must go" was number 23 and the window of Englands we can see is the shop numbered 42 Corporation Street.
View attachment 162087

See here
I think you have it right Janice.

Firstly apologies for the vertical lines - as said previously this is a disk of scans from slides from Geoff, so there is no changing them I'm afraid.
Now back in the centre of "town " itself another view from on high and again a lot of changes going on, from the top The Gaumont is on its island, Post and Mail building and the print building behind are under construction, the subway back of Lewis's hasn't been built . Corporation street is the current boundary of old and new and while there are holes, much of the old building were still there.
If you have your bearings its interesting to note that the road at the bottom was once redeveloped as underpasses and flyover and then itself redeveloped to how we see it today

Test211 1.jpg

Back