• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

Back to the shop fronts this is 7 Hobmoor Road in 1973, orderly queue at the bus stop, and a nice run of shops. Curtiss Motor own the pick up and the Cortina Estate looks good. If you look carefully there is an Ecko projecting sign and the Philips sign is not seen these days.

View attachment 157897
Still a bus stop outside = Lennox is no 9 and the solicitors is number 7

Attachments

• 7 Hobmoor Road - 2021.JPG
    7 Hobmoor Road - 2021.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 27
309 Stratford Road in 1971, I think we have seen this view from a distance , good selection of street furniture and a fleeting van, note the fine of £10.. for littering !

View attachment 157929
This junction has changed completely so a couple of maps to set the scene - Highgate Road never used to join Stratford Road but the red line shows where it was continued to meet Stratford Road. Also one showing the junction now red marker is where 309 was..
Then a 2008 photo which I think shows the shops in Steve's photo and finally one of the junction today.

Attachments

• 309 Stratford Road - map.JPG
    309 Stratford Road - map.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 309 Stratford Road - map now.JPG
    309 Stratford Road - map now.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 16
  • 309 Stratford Road - 2008.JPG
    309 Stratford Road - 2008.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 309 Stratford Road - 2021.JPG
    309 Stratford Road - 2021.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 16
Next up we have 273- 291 Soho Road in 1975, a fine selection of local shops, although Libbys records has bit the dust, not sure there was much call for the Classical records. Its a fine picture for people watching - the two gents in front of the singer shop and the man with the white shoes in front of Handsworth repair service. Note also the shape of the roof on the record shop.View attachment 157930
The Meat Centre is 287.

Attachments

• 273- -291 Soho Road - 2021.JPG
    273- -291 Soho Road - 2021.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 12
For this picture we have to thank Uncle Ernest, someone else who had dozens of slides and negatives and a couple that were interesting. Another view of the redevelopment of Birmingham, a bit earlier than the previous view , plenty of cranes and a few old building that survived at that time on the right. I presume this is his car in the foreground - again another snowy winters day.

View attachment 157734
5486 E is a Staffordshire registration from late 1957, or early 1958. Quite close to my Vauxhall Victor which was 3908 E. The subject car is a Hillman Minx, I could offer a comparison, but I’m sure that you wouldn’t be interested, let’s just say that the Hillman, accidents apart, would have outlasted the Vauxhall.

Finally for tonight - I will let you take it over the 100 pages ! I feel I recognise the view but cannot recall where - Geber and Dunn does that help ? Nice selection of enamel signs on the right, and some cast railings too. Only a few vehicles but the silvery blue on on the right looks interesting. Gas light , three storey properties and an interesting building on the extreme right with arched doorway and window and a bit of green railing.

View attachment 157933

Attachments

• Ryland Street - 2021.JPG
    Ryland Street - 2021.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 14
Still a bus stop outside = Lennox is no 9 and the solicitors is number 7
In the 1973 picture the television shop was owned by Reynolds Bros., and I recall they repaired car radios in the 1950's for the company where I was employed and coincidentally I was employed by Mr Curtis whose pick-up is in the photo, John.

To start is an image of the Estate Office - as usual no idea of a location, but I am sure one of the members will know, like the decorators van and the line of cars. Seems strange that this building has been spared but if its a council estates office then I am sure there are some internal politics in action.

Test245.jpg

This I believe is the side of 775 Bristol Road in 1979 - rather tatty wall warning patrons about their parking , A worn ABBA poster losing the fight with the off license and a varied selection of cars, I like the door edge on the Mini with reflectors , they were all the fashion - could do with them these days the way some people throw open their car doors !775 Bristol Road - 79.jpg

This I believe is the side of 775 Bristol Road in 1979 - rather tatty wall warning patrons about their parking , A worn ABBA poster losing the fight with the off license and a varied selection of cars, I like the door edge on the Mini with reflectors , they were all the fashion - could do with them these days the way some people throw open their car doors !View attachment 158015
That was beside Oak cinema and corresponds to earlier photo below

oak cinema selly oak.jpg

That was beside Oak cinema and corresponds to earlier photo below

View attachment 158017
1920s Ford TT 1ton truck loaded with beer crates. The larger capacity commercial version of the Ford Model T, it was cheap to buy, as rugged as could be hoped for and easy to drive for those who had not encountered motor vehicles before. Sorry I can’t help with the motorbike. (Or the horse and cart!)

The nickname “Picture Palace” seems rather appropriate in this case, what a building!

Last edited:
To start is an image of the Estate Office - as usual no idea of a location, but I am sure one of the members will know, like the decorators van and the line of cars. Seems strange that this building has been spared but if its a council estates office then I am sure there are some internal politics in action.

View attachment 158012
Wondered if this was to do with a firm I found in the 1970 phone book. However, the addresses don't seem to fit the look of this road.
1623935819325.png

This I believe is the side of 775 Bristol Road in 1979 - rather tatty wall warning patrons about their parking , A worn ABBA poster losing the fight with the off license and a varied selection of cars, I like the door edge on the Mini with reflectors , they were all the fashion - could do with them these days the way some people throw open their car doors !View attachment 158015
In this "now" photo Street UK is 777 and g mobile is 775 Bristol Road

Attachments

• 775 Bristol Road - 2021.JPG
    775 Bristol Road - 2021.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 20
Yes, it's a mystery that one isn't it? (Re post 2034)
I wondered if it was an old Council Estates office but couldn't see anything.
The area is close to the city centre I guess for the type of buildings, my first thought was Digbeth but it could be somewhere like Aston or the Gt Hampton Street area?

A view of Bristol Street from on high, nice selection of busses parked and a fledgling Bristol Street Motors. Church been built in the distance. Interesting selection of properties still standing on the left as you look at Bristol Street, soon to be swept away. Small pockets of old properties are still remaining in this view.

Test461 1.jpg

Back