• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

National Memorial Arboretum

Hello Earlgarry,

Does your hubby know that there is an HMS Gambia Association? If he googles it he will find the website with lots of info on all commissions and probably a photo of a youthful Old Boy.

I go to the Nat Mem Arboretum quite often and I recommend that everyone should try to see the Far East POWs memorial and the 'Shot at Dawn' memorial. Both of them bring tears to my eyes. It is my one regret that I will not live to see the Arboretum in its' full glory with all the trees fully grown.

"Roll on the Nelson, Rodney, Renown - This one funnelled b****** is getting me down"

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy, thanks for the information will certainly look at that although he wasn't on the Gambia for very long got transferred to her sister ship HMS Bermuda,

Chocks 2. Fish head??? not familar with this term,can you enlighten me please

Hi Earlgary.
Fish-Head is a friendly term used by the Fleet Air Arm for any matelot not serving within the Air Arm. They in turn refer to us as Airey Fairy's and we all now refer to the Marines as Bootnecks, The Army as Pongo's and the RAF as Crabfats. There is no Ill feeling meant by it. It's just service banter.

With reference to Old Boy's comment. It doesn't matter if you served 1 day, 1 week or whatever. The Associations will always make you very welcome.

Thanks Chocks 2 he has heard all the others but not Fish head, you certainly had him scratching his head kept him quiet for a while trying to figure it out.

Wayne yes with the bald head :), on a different site, you two I should have found and said hello :) Dave,

Earlgary, Glad that's cleared up.
Dave. Like I said, every ship needs them. I won't hold it against you.
We "Gentlemen of the Fleet Air Arm" have always been too busy seeking the glory and the girls for that sort of thing. Joking apart, at least we were all matelots at thats what's important, I mean, we could have all ended up as pongo's and what would have happened to our ships then?

Dave.
Why should you have said "hello" to him, did you know him?
What different site? and where did you get Wayne from? I don't remember mentioning that

Wayne, Roofs is on a different site, It would have been the first time to meet both of you :), would have been easier to have had first names, but as all along nicknames are used, I had a few Dave
Roofs mentioned your name from a pic

O.K. Dave, I'm with you now and I Know which site you refer to.

I'm known as Wayne, Chocks, Rav, Timmo and Birds Eye by various people and I answer to all of them. After a few tots the wife calls me all sorts of names and I even answer to them.

Saturday 19 September
Polish Armed Forces Memorial
Dedication and unveiling ceremony of memorial to commemorate Polish military and civilians who served and died during WWII. The Duke of Kent will unveil the memorial.
Venue: on site
Time: 12 noon for start of service, followed by RAF flypast (subject to weather conditions)
Contact: Dr. Mark Stella-Sawicki, Tel: 0208 997 4848 or email [email protected]

Hi Dave, your Sunray Major hasnt done much service only got one medal!
Most senior Naval officers have a chest full, where has he been hiding?
Some very good pictures through, cheers Bernard :cool:

Hi Dave, your Sunray Major hasnt done much service only got one medal!
Most senior Naval officers have a chest full, where has he been hiding?
Some very good pictures through, cheers Bernard :cool:

Hi Bernard and Dave.
These officers were too young for the Falklands war and too senior for the current conflicts. the only other action that the RN have been involved in since 1982 was Bosnia and even then there was only 1 carrier out there. Only about 250 officers in total. Where as the troops have been involved in all the current conflicts in the thousands so unlike previous conflicts its the troops with the gongs and not the officers. Makes a pleasant change don't you think?
P.S It's obvious that these officers were not in Bosnia as they only display the Gold Jubilee Medal

Hi Dave, Saw on our Midland News where the Polish Forces had a special
day at the NMA on Saturday. Poland itself has had a troubled history
being invaded several times , and they had it pretty rough under Stalin . From all accounts they fought well against the Jerries , and of course quite a number of them made their homes in this country after the war. cheers Bernard

Hi Bernard,
was a pity the Polish forces were not invited to the victory parades
after WW2,so as not to upset our Russian Allies

On a lighter note, a joke I heard a few years ago, just after the war ended
the powers that be decided to mark out the boarders of each country,If you can picture, two men going round with a liitle wheel on a stick
marking out the bountry, they come to a clearing in the woods and
theres a cottage, and the boarder going through the middle of it.One
man "What shall we do? the second man said "We will ask them which side. of
the boarder they want to live Knock on the door, explain it all to the old
man, Do you want to live in Poland or Russia? The old boy thought for a
minute and he said" I think I stay in Poland, I have heard they have some
terrible winters in Russia. cheers Bernard

hi all
when a small lad my dad often took me to the"Dom Polski" an ex -service mans club in Gravley hill Erdington, because my dad had been at "Monte Cassino" he was welcomed with open arms I remember in the 50's when unheard of food such as herring s in vinagar and funny bread with strange cheese which smelt a bit, but the welcome was great I remember afew of the kids Polanski, Michaligik, Dasinski,. most must dead now like my dad. He once said they were the bravest troops he had ever seen.
regards
paul

Visited the Arboretum today for the first time, a very humbling experience, I must go back because four hours is nowhere near enough time there. Will post some pics later.
Brian

Dave: That RAF Association Remembrance Garden and sculpture looks absolutely stunning! Thank you so much for posting these pictures. Time I made another visit.

Excellent Pictures Templer. Clearly showing that the NMA is not just for ex services but for all. It has finally been recognised by civillian organisations and the military as a moemorial to all. Before the Armed Forces Memorial was opened the NMA was only thought of as somewhere for ex forces to go.
As you say Templar its a place to go for the day, two or three hours is not enough. For anyone planning a visit, take a picnic or use the cafe on site its worth it and it's free to get in (£2 for parking) and who knows, you may even bump into Dave M.
Thanks again for the pics Templer.

Last edited:
Templer excellent, once you start to walk about, there are memorials around each part of the site, Chocks yes I visit regular, always with my cap on with the logo HMS Victorious, if seen say helo Dave

Thanks chocks2, Dave M, you both will obviously understand my sentiments when I say that since leaving the Arboritum I have been
strongly drawn back to it, it won't be very long before I pay another visit, it is a place that I feel everyone that is able should find the time to visit.
I hope that the next time I am there I am fortunate enought to meet you Dave.
Will keep my eyes peeled.
Brian

Frothblower and anyone else who really wants to go to the NMA If you do not drive may I suggest you catch the bus to Sutton Coldfiled and there catch the 112 bus to Burton and Derby which calls at the NMA. In fact, I think the bus starts in Birmingham and goes via Erdington.

If you are over 65 I believe that the bus pass is accepted.

Old Boy.

Back