• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

National Memorial Arboretum

Looking forward to the day today. Sky news should be covering the event but I dont know if that is confirmed. Hopefully local news will cover it aswell.

Morning Dave and Chocks, Looks as you picked the right day weatherwise
its going to be a beautiful day! Hope all goes well for you and the lads, I
think these occasions are great when you see all your old muckers and lads
you have not seen fof 30 or 40 years, its magic! Enjoy your day and all the
very best cheers now, Bernard

I would love to be there but I am governed by my chauffeur and if he says no that is it and I am afraid I won't be there but more likely to be in the dentists chair if I can get in. My front tooth snapped in half last night. Have an enjoyable day whoever is going and I will catch it on the news. Bye. Jean.

Chucks sorry missed you, did ask a few people:(, it looked as there was three camera`s team`s (TV ?),

Dry calm and sunny, too much for some, but looked after :),

Did meet up with Stoker Stan right at the end :),

Hopefully it will be on the local news tonight :)

Hi Dave,
Had a good day today. Likewise, sorry to have missed you. Good turn out from our branch, both ex and serving. A few beers tonight then a wind down till our next big do, our 4 day reunion in October.

I am so pleased the day went well and the weather was good. The photo's are lovely. We will make a visit soon!:)

Hi Dave, I watched News at Ten on ITV last night and I think the media warmongers hi/jacked your anniversary, yes there wa s a caption saying
Fleet Air Arm, but they certainly gave the impressiom that the ceremony was for our forces lost in Afghaniston, there was hardly a word about the FAA, was I wrong? Bernard

I went along yesterday my first visit, what a wonderful place we stood and watched the dedication it was very moving, my husband was particularly interested as he served in the Royal Navy, Will definately be going again as it is impossible to see everything in one visit even though we did the train ride. I wish I had known what you looked like before the above photos as I saw you there and would have said hello.

Hi Earlgary.
Glad you enjoyed the Dedication yesterday. You are right about Arboretum, you can't see it all in one day, you always have to go back for a second look round and you will enjoy it just as much next time.
When did your husband serve and what did he do in the navy? You will find quite a few ex-matelots on this forum so there will always be someone for him to swing the lamp with.

Hi all, would anyone else have any more photos? It was my Chief and lads that unveiled the memorial, i had a really good day and thought the whole place was very impressive, its a shame that we didnt have a lot of time to walk aorund and see the place so i am coming back up withmy family.

hi all
What a fantastic turnout, looks like a great memorial and everyone looks so smart, you also seem to have had the right weather, go from strength to strength.
regards
paul

Hi again Chocks

My husband was an LME Devenport Division 1949 to 1957, he only served on 1 carrier HMS Illustrious the rest were cruisers Devonshire, Gambia and Bermuda,he would certainly love someone to swing the lamp with.

Earlgary.
Fine old girl the Illustrious was. Shame Hubby was a fish-head but i suppose every ship needed them!

Cheers for all the comments one and all

Once Navy - Always Navy

Hi Dave, nice to see such a good turnout, as we used to say, at the NMA
Alrewas you were lucky with the weather, mind we have had a few days
without rain, is the hosepipe ban on yet? I love to see these young well
turned out service people, but dont it make you feel old?
No one seems to agree with over News at Ten, so I will let it drop,
Take care then, very nice photos by the way, cheers Bernard

Back