• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's possible that those members who have followed the In The Garden threads over the last few years will remember previous images of Boris at leisure, deep in the Worcestershire countryside. I caught up with him again last Thursday.

Here he is, sailing on, apparently unconcerned, quite unsunk (as yet).

Chris

View attachment 170653
Methinks Boris will be paddling along for some time yet.

Hi Mort, does your windmill/turbine produce any electricity & what does your solar panel charge? Neat garden by the way.
The windmill is just me being a nerd; I like windmills and windpumps. The solar panel charges a battery that operates an electric 12v water pump for the irrigation system in the garden. I collect all the water off the workshop roof, over 1.250 litres.

The windmill is just me being a nerd; I like windmills and windpumps. The solar panel charges a battery that operates an electric 12v water pump for the irrigation system in the garden. I collect all the water off the workshop roof, over 1.250 litres.
put a small car alternator on the widndmill that will charge a battery working the 12v pump .... that is my next project so i can charge my 12v batteries,that run my inverter:grinning:

We are being visited by 3 different male woodpeckers who are decimating my fatballs!! I am having to refill the container every couple of days. They're feeding young birds I think. We've named them
Scruffy scruffy woodpecker.JPG, Wreckerwrecking woodpecker.JPG and The Tidy Oneneat woodpecker.JPG

Wrecker visits the most and in his search for food he hammers h*ll out of the balls scattering more to the ground than he can ever hope to fill his beak with.

Also had a Bullfinch perch in the tree but too shy to come onto the feeders
june bullfinch.JPG

Attachments

• neat woodpecker.JPG
    neat woodpecker.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
We are being visited by 3 different male woodpeckers who are decimating my fatballs!! I am having to refill the container every couple of days. They're feeding young birds I think. We've named them
Scruffy View attachment 170850, WreckerView attachment 170851 and The Tidy OneView attachment 170852

Wrecker visits the most and in his search for food he hammers h*ll out of the balls scattering more to the ground than he can ever hope to fill his beak with.

Also had a Bullfinch perch in the tree but too shy to come onto the feeders
View attachment 170854
I have never seen a woodpecker (apart from Loony Tunes ) or a Bullfinch, so envious !

I have never seen a woodpecker (apart from Loony Tunes ) or a Bullfinch, so envious !
Smudger, while they look nice they can do a lot of damage to trees and houses. On one of our houses, Tudor style they did thousands of $ in damage and were most difficult to get rid of. My wife found someone who installed large mechanical battery powered bugs on the sides of the house. This was after calling in exterminators etc who did nothing. They were about 18” long (don’t laugh) but they stopped the woodpeckers! Then we had to have them take down.

Smudger, while they look nice they can do a lot of damage to trees and houses. On one of our houses, Tudor style they did thousands of $ in damage and were most difficult to get rid of. My wife found someone who installed large mechanical battery powered bugs on the sides of the house. This was after calling in exterminators etc who did nothing. They were about 18” long (don’t laugh) but they stopped the woodpeckers! Then we had to have them take down.
Why take them down, or did they frighten visitors?

Why take them down, or did they frighten visitors?
Great question Mike. They did frighten visitors and some Neighbours even though we were on a large lot. The battery inside them basically turned on a noise maker to frighten things away (which they did) which is what I think people did not like but it was less noise than the woodpeckers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back