• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

House interiors

Lyn,

I was born at 2/15 Bartons Bank (in the same courtyard as Eric Gibson's grandparents) at my grandmother's house and that was spick and span, but with same shared outdoor loo and torn up newspaper, and a galvanised bath & copper boiler in the kitchen. Apart from a short spell in a tatty flat in Claremont Road, I was four when we had the offer of the bomb-damaged house in Knowle Road, Sparkhill. It wasn't until then that I knew any other kids of my age and then we had a great bomb site and the River Cole as our playground - I loved that.

Maurice :cool:
our Maurice
we had one cold water tap screwed to the wall above the sink..hot water was via a kettle or a copper. some times dad cut the old comics up for the loo. he said it would give your bum a laugh.

My twin bro. and I grew up in a Butler’s (Wolverhampton) brewery offie, built about 1870 in a terrace. The kitchen was huge, in a glass roofed lean to, bathroom with lavatory upstairs, four bedrooms on first floor and three more on second. All the middle floor rooms had fireplaces, but I don’t recall fires ever being lit up there. Those on the top floor were not used, and just freezing cold in winter. There was an Ascot gas water heater over the kitchen (Belfast) sink, a metal topped table and a New World eye level grill gas cooker, in cream enamel. There was also a brick built coal fired copper in there, but Mum eventually got a Burco boiler and separate washing machine, so it wasn’t used.

We had a playroom in one of the middle floor rooms with our Hornby Dublo train set on a large Dad made table, about 8ft x 6ft. Being twins, the set grew with each birthday and Christmas until it was quite something.

The bathroom had a high level flush lavatory with a wooden seat and lid and an Armitage Ware pan, and wash basin, but hot water only if Dad lit the geyser, using a tin jug to fill the basin, or directly through a spout over the white enamelled bath. Black and white chequered Lino, and green walls that ran with condensation.

The electrical system used five and fifteen amp round pin plugs and wall sockets, with earth pins on all, but Mum’s iron was plugged in to the light fitting in the living room. The plug tops were not fused, fuses being in the switch box iirc. I should think it would be condemned today. There was a Bustler vacuum cleaner which made a heck of a noise and didn’t suck up much dirt. But made in Brum, not Taiwan or somewhere.

Auxiliary heating came from a black paraffin stove (Valor?) in the offy, and a Sankey Senator drip feed paraffin heater in the kitchen. You could get chapped legs standing in front of that, but it was usually guarded by a wooden clothes horse of damp washing. How we escaped burning the place down I don’t know.

There were large stables and hayloft in a big back yard, and then the railway embankment behind the perimeter wall. A great place for kids, and we didn’t feel the cold then!

Last edited:
My twin bro. and I grew up in a Butler’s (Wolverhampton) brewery offie, built about 1870 in a terrace. The kitchen was huge, in a glass roofed lean to, bathroom with lavatory upstairs, four bedrooms on first floor and three more on second. All the middle floor rooms had fireplaces, but I don’t recall fires ever being lit up there. Those on the top floor were not used, and just freezing cold in winter. There was an Ascot gas water heater over the kitchen (Belfast) sink, a metal topped table and a New World eye level grill gas cooker, in cream enamel. There was also a brick built coal fired copper in there, but Mum eventually got a Burco boiler and separate washing machine, so it wasn’t used.

We had a playroom in one of the middle floor rooms with our Hornby Dublo train set on a large Dad made table, about 8ft x 6ft. Being twins, the set grew with each birthday and Christmas until it was quite something.

The bathroom had a high level flush lavatory with a wooden seat and lid and an Armitage Ware pan, and wash basin, but hot water only if Dad lit the geyser, using a tin jug to fill the basin, or directly through a spout over the white enamelled bath. Black and white chequered Lino, and green walls that ran with condensation.

The electrical system used five and fifteen amp round pin plugs and wall sockets, with earth pins on all, but Mum’s iron was plugged in to the light fitting in the living room. The plug tops were not fused, fuses being in the switch box iirc. I should think it would be condemned today. There was a Bustler vacuum cleaner which made a heck of a noise and didn’t suck up much dirt. But made in Brum, not Taiwan or somewhere.

Auxiliary heating came from a black paraffin stove (Valor?) in the offy, and a Sankey Senator drip feed paraffin heater in the kitchen. You could get chapped legs standing in front of that, but it was usually guarded by a wooden clothes horse of damp washing. How we escaped burning the place down I don’t know.

There were large stables and hayloft in a big back yard, and then the railway embankment behind the perimeter wall. A great place for kids, and we didn’t feel the cold then!
Wow what a memory you have, did you take notes when you lived there !

I read that at first as you having a glass-roofed bathroom !! Thought (till I re-read) that it was a good job drones did not exist then

Thank you Smudger. We moved there in 1950, and left in 1959. My memory is very odd, things from then as clear as crystal, stuff from last week as clear as mud. I think the catalyst must have been the love and appreciation we boys got from Mum and Dad, when you are enjoying life you remember things since you want to relive them later. Rose, my wife, has equally clear recollections of her life at roughly the same age, growing up in Kenya, having previously been in Australia and New Zealand while her father developed his career.

Please believe me when I assure you that nothing is made up, but some of the chronology might be a bit wonky, after all, it is 60 to 70 years ago! I don’t recall it as being too cold, but kids are tough little beasts, although I do recall not being too keen on cold water.

Last edited:
A bit off-topic but...

Smudger and John make some interesting points about memory. It never ceases to amaze me how little some people remember about events they have shared with me; and then, even more so, how much they remember about things of which I recall absolutely nothing! It's all very patchy. I have certainly found that the harder I think about events and things of the past, the more comes to light which I haven't thought about in 75 odd years. I think you have to work at it. Then comes the problem of filtering out things possibly imagined, things dreamt about, things you have been told about but not actually experienced yourself, things in the wrong chronological place (as John suggests), then resisting the temptations of poetic licence if you put the memory down on paper. All you can do is try and be as analytical and honest as you can. You owe that first and foremost to anyone reading it; and also to your own conscience. But back to the subject in hand.....

Why this thread is so interesting and useful is partly because the home we grew up in is probably one of the most significant parts of our earliest memories. Of course school and Christmases and holidays and other events are important but the one place where we spent so much of our childhood time was the home we lived in. Memories of it are likely to have stuck. And home for many of us was the house which was the result of the 1930s building boom in and around Birmingham. I was born in the house I lived in and stayed there right up until the time I was married at the age of 25. A bit spasmodically after the age of 18 because of National Service and then a bit more education. Not too surprising therefore that I can remember quite a lot about it. I imagine that it can have changed little in the 10 years or so after my birth because nothing really altered anywhere between 1939 and the post-war years. And of course I have the advantage (?) of being old enough to be able to fix some memories fairly precisely to the very static period of the war years. I can remember a little bit about the house prewar and a fair amount more between 1939 and 1945.

Our house was built in 1930/31 (by a local builder named Brockington) as part of a ribbon development along the Chester Road in Streetly. Every mod con: internal plumbing, electricity supply, gas, back boiler to heat the water, fireplaces in two downstairs rooms and one bedroom, fake Tudor beams on the front, leaded lights in the front windows. What more could anyone want? Just one or two not very satisfactory images of it from those times survive. Here is my father and me in the front garden in 1938. By that time Dad had completed most of the things he wanted to do on moving in. Front garden and, especially, back garden with extensive paths, an ornamental pond, garden swing, Wendy House, borders, rustic work, rockery, wireless aerial mast, flower borders, vegetable patches and all the rest. Not to speak of the interior, partly Tudorfied, which is another story. Apart from the odd bit of border and terrace and lawn you can see in this picture, the other significant achievement is the wooden lean-to garage which he built down the entire depth of the house. All in timber with a glazed window in the roof (which never seemed to leak). And like everything else done entirely without a single power tool. When this picture was taken he was probably about to embark on the final prewar enhancement, not one that he would have anticipated having to construct – an underground air raid shelter in the back garden. After that, not a single change, inside or out, until an extension in 1946 to accommodate my returning soldier brother; and then for a while thereafter, still essentially a 1930s house.

HMCMWindyridgeFront1938or39.jpg

The one room inside this house which stands out most in my memory is the dining room/living room. Life revolved around it and I can walk into it today in my memory and know almost exactly what is in it and the significance of much of the stuff. (I'm sitting three feet from one of its bits as I write, an oak bookcase – made, of course, by my dad, somewhere between 85 and 95 years ago. It still works). Many memories of this room but no early images of course. No indoor pictures then. Flash photography? The preserve of the professionals. Just a view of it from the outside. The bay window of the dining room overlooking the back garden. A sunny summer morning in 1934, my brother and sister enjoying the sunshine, their life wholly untroubled by my future existence.

GMSAWindyridgeTerrace-ca1934.jpg

I've written previously about this room in the Christmas thread. It'll probably happen again here. Sorry.

Chris

Just enjoyed reading the above posts. I also remember mom ironing with the iron plugged into the light socket, I know there were not three pin sockets in those days, first encountered these in a house built in late 1940's. Although I was not old enough to have known I'm pretty certain there was only "lights" amperage electricity as there were no high power appliances. No washing machines etc. In fact there was evidence of earlier lighting having been gas powered. Another thing that even when I was very small seemed strange was that the cupboard that stored the gas meter was in the lounge under the stairs, we didn't call it that, in the front room.

Jim and Chris have reminded me about aspects of the old house cum offie living room, particularly the gas bracket, a source of great interest on the very few occasions when it was used, always because of a power cut. There were two large cupboards, floor to ceiling either side of the fireplace, which were built in and formed the storage for most of Mum’s household tackle. No built in kitchen units then! It was quite a big room, being the living and dining room, a sitting room upstairs being rarely used except around Christmas.

Power tools, my Dad bought one of the first Wolf Cub 1/4 inch pistol drills, it must have been about 1955, single speed and really only powerful enough for drilling in timber or sanding. He had some drill bits up to 3/8 which had the shanks turned down to 1/4 to fit in the little Wolf, but was always careful to start small and open out holes. The inevitable occurred one day when it burned out, but by then such kit had become more affordable. BTW, I wasn’t allowed any where near it!

John,

My uncle had one of those Wolf Cubs, and a lot of accessories you could buy for it, including a small wood turning lathe. He had hours of fun with it out in his garden shed - and me too whenever my mother took me over there. :)

, I wasn’t allowed any where near it!
By the time I was 10 mom was a single parent so got involved with diy tasks very young. Remember once being at an older friend's house and caused concern because I wired a three pin plug which had been left for their dad to do. There's advantage to be found in all sort of circumstances!

Again straying a bit, but Dad also had a circular saw bench powered by a 3/4hp Brooke electric motor which used to make the lights dip when it started, and a bench planer with a smaller motor. He ran a little sideline timber business in one of the stables, so the kit came in handy. He and my Uncle from the carriage works, who was a virtuoso on the pump screwdriver, as well as being a time served coachbuilder, built all sorts of stuff including a boat.

How things change! You can buy an electric screwdriver for next to nothing, who would operate a pump screwdriver these days? It demanded practice, especially as the screws were brass with slotted heads, none of this posidrive stuff!

It seems odd to think that, before the days of B & Q or whoever, how poorly the diy blokes were looked after. Dad got his business off the ground by having the local printer do a couple of hundred handbills, and getting me and my brother to post them through folks’ letter boxes.

Last edited:
One more memory, battery powered wirelesses!

An elderly lady up the street still had a wireless set with a couple of glass 2 volt accumulators and a high tension single use battery. The garage at the top of the street still charged up the accumulators, but eventually they become sulphated and won’t hold their charge. Whether she finally bought a mains powered radio I never found out.

One more memory, battery wireless set

An elderly lady up the street still had a set with a couple of glass 2 volt accumulators and a high tension single use battery. The garage at the top of the street still charged up the accumulators, but eventually they become sulphated and won’t hold their charge. Whether she finally bought a mains powered radio I never found out.
i have one of them radios in the loft.it was my grandads. he got fed up with his xtal set.:grinning:

Again straying a bit, but Dad also had a circular saw bench powered by a 3/4hp Brooke electric motor which used to make the lights dip when it started, and a bench planer with a smaller motor. He ran a little sideline timber business in one of the stables, so the kit came in handy. He and my Uncle from the carriage works, who was a virtuoso on the pump screwdriver, as well as being a time served coachbuilder, built all sorts of stuff including a boat.

How things change! You can buy an electric screwdriver for next to nothing, who would operate a pump screwdriver these days? It demanded practice, especially as the screws were brass with slotted heads, none of this posidrive stuff!

It seems odd to think that, before the days of B & Q or whoever, how poorly the diy blokes were looked after. Dad got his business off the ground by having the local printer do a couple of hundred handbills, and getting me and my brother to post them through folks’ letter boxes.
i hated them pump. i scratched many a job with them things:mad:

Pumps were OK with pozidriv or phillips heads, but as John says, but deadly with slotted screws.

This thread got me thinking and looking online at 30s housing ect and on the National Archive site came across some lovely old food images

Attachments

• CO956-62-Empire-Marketing-Board-1927-1933-poster-Making-the-Empire-Christmas-Pudding-Artist-F-...jpg
    CO956-62-Empire-Marketing-Board-1927-1933-poster-Making-the-Empire-Christmas-Pudding-Artist-F-...jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 18
  • COPY1-115-54-Christmas-Pudding-illustration-H-Cooper-provisions-1894.jpg
    COPY1-115-54-Christmas-Pudding-illustration-H-Cooper-provisions-1894.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 16
  • COPY1-221-94-Marshs-Christmas-Cakes1904-scaled.jpg
    COPY1-221-94-Marshs-Christmas-Cakes1904-scaled.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 14
  • COPY1-222-64-Peek-Frean-Co-Christmas-Pudding-1904-scaled.jpg
    COPY1-222-64-Peek-Frean-Co-Christmas-Pudding-1904-scaled.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 14
Yancy pumps, as we called them certainly did take some practice. I must have put thousands of screws in with them. They we also dead dangerous, quite a common building site injury was being poked in the eye with one.

I've taken two or three of those out, Pete - mucky job and a lot of plastering.

Looking at the above posts about ranges, I had wondered how the 20s/30s houses made do with such tiny kitchens, but if the cooking was done on a range in the living room, or let into a kitchen chimney breast, then there would only be need for a sink, a larder with a stone settle, and space to use a dolly tub either in or outdoors. My great uncle’s place in Victoria Rd Oldbury had a small kitchen, but with the demand for space for a fridge, a gas stove and a washing machine an extension would be needed for today’s style of life.

The lot of a woman in having to cope with such difficulty must have been very hard, lugging coal and water and wet washing about, no wonder both my grans were tough.

Last edited:
My contribution to this thread will perhaps be of interest to Smudger as he mentioned living near Brookvale park. I did also, in Abbey Road, George Road end, in one of the Semi detached Council houses. [Where did you live Smudger?] Ours were lovely houses having three bedrooms, a large hallway, two living rooms and a large kitchen with separate brick built pantry and a coalhouse built in which run off kitchen. We had a bathroom and separate toilet upstairs. The front room was always kept for 'special occasions'. I still remember the uncut mocquette three piece suite, [not sure how to spell it]. We had picture rails in the rooms downstairs and in one alcove at the side of the fireplace always had a picture with the title "And when did you last see your father?" When we were little mom always had a cane hanging there - never understood why, hm hm! Sometimes the cane got 'accidently' broke and she sent my brother and myself to a little shop at the corner of Rosemary Road and George Road to get another one. there was always an argument as to whose turn it was to carry it back home. The funny part was I don't ever remember her using it.
We had a fireplace very similar to the picture Pete has put on and it was my job to 'black lead' it on a Saturday. We had no electric but gaslight in every room. I was born in that house in 1931 and it wasn't until I was doing National service, 1949 - 1951 that the council put a new fireplace in with a gas fire and Mom paid to have the electric put in.
The water was heated by the back boiler or when we were little and had a bath in the tin bath in front of the fire, the water was heated in a large boiler in the corner of the kitchen normally used for the washing [using the old wooden pummel ] . Of course, just before Christmas it was used by Dad to boil the Christmas puddings. Those were the days !!!

My contribution to this thread will perhaps be of interest to Smudger as he mentioned living near Brookvale park. I did also, in Abbey Road, George Road end, in one of the Semi detached Council houses. [Where did you live Smudger?] Ours were lovely houses having three bedrooms, a large hallway, two living rooms and a large kitchen with separate brick built pantry and a coalhouse built in which run off kitchen. We had a bathroom and separate toilet upstairs. The front room was always kept for 'special occasions'. I still remember the uncut mocquette three piece suite, [not sure how to spell it]. We had picture rails in the rooms downstairs and in one alcove at the side of the fireplace always had a picture with the title "And when did you last see your father?" When we were little mom always had a cane hanging there - never understood why, hm hm! Sometimes the cane got 'accidently' broke and she sent my brother and myself to a little shop at the corner of Rosemary Road and George Road to get another one. there was always an argument as to whose turn it was to carry it back home. The funny part was I don't ever remember her using it.
We had a fireplace very similar to the picture Pete has put on and it was my job to 'black lead' it on a Saturday. We had no electric but gaslight in every room. I was born in that house in 1931 and it wasn't until I was doing National service, 1949 - 1951 that the council put a new fireplace in with a gas fire and Mom paid to have the electric put in.
The water was heated by the back boiler or when we were little and had a bath in the tin bath in front of the fire, the water was heated in a large boiler in the corner of the kitchen normally used for the washing [using the old wooden pummel ] . Of course, just before Christmas it was used by Dad to boil the Christmas puddings. Those were the days !!!
Johnny082, I lived in Doidge road at the top near Mere road. Knew a few lads i think lived in Abbey road, Jimmy Shepherd, Johnny White, & Peter Reeves. A great place to live, so near to Brookvale park.

Really interesting thread.

My memories are slightly later, being a 70's child.

I lived until I was 9 in a two bedroomed terraced house just off Smethwick High Street. We had a tiny front garden with a brick wall that was useful for hiding behind when playing out and our entry leading to the back garden at the side.

You walked straight into the front room which had a small square bay window and a coal fireplace, a table stood in the window with a white tablecloth covering it and a vase of fresh flowers all year round. A swir!y carpet and black leatherette suite completed the room. You then went through a door where the stairs were leading to the two bedrooms, through another door into our living room.
This also had a coal fire which dad would light before going to work so as it was warm when mom and I got up, a red settee along the back wall and two chairs facing the fire, the tv in the corner with a lamp on top of it, a mirror on the chimney breast, a table and 4 chairs under the window and a bookcase on the kitchen wall. We also had a understairs cupboard where everything got thrown in there.

You then went up another step and into the kitchen where there was some fitted cabinets, a gas oven, fridge and mom's pride and joy, her twin tub.

In about 1972/3 mom and dad had a downstairs bathroom added, which was lovely, it has a white toilet, bath and hand basin and was painted pink. When it was built, the original back door was bricked up and a little lobby area built between the bathroom and kitchen and the back door was put there.

Our stairs were quite steep and had a rail both sides, at the top was a tiny landing and then the two bedrooms, mom and dads at the front and mine at the back looking over the back garden. My room was fairly big and was painted pink and white, with a set of shelves in one alcove where I kept my books and dollshouse.

We had a fairly big for a terraced house back garden with a lilac tree that mom loved, she also used to grow mint to make her own mint sauce and our cats used to love that. She also loved her rose bushes and would spend hours in the garden during the summer.

When the bathroom was built on, a new coal shed was built and I used to love climbing on to it and then climbing into the flat bathroom roof. Nearly fell off there a few times.

Outside the windows were painted black and white, a black front door with a big brass knocker that mom used to clean every week with Brasso and a red front step that she used to clean every week with a red stuff in a flat tin. Net curtains at all the windows and thick velvet type curtains in the front and living rooms.

Our house was built in 1930/31 (by a local builder named Brockington) as part of a ribbon development along the Chester Road in Streetly. Every mod con: internal plumbing, electricity supply, gas, back boiler to heat the water, fireplaces in two downstairs rooms and one bedroom, fake Tudor beams on the front, leaded lights in the front windows. What more could anyone want?

I threatened to write a bit more about the house - and especially its most important room. Many, many years ago I wrote a bit of a memoir about it and I've just dug it out. In two minds whether to post it as I'm afraid it's possibly a bit arty-f*rty. But it may give a feel of what a 1930s room was like and how it was used. It's a view from around 1943 but nothing much had altered from a year or two earlier - apart from changed circumstances in the world beyond the front door, of course. To follow shortly in a separate post.

This is the back of the house, probably in September 1932, a year or eighteen months after it was built. £675 freehold. The garden just started. Nothing much to be seen of OUR half of the semi, but the halves were a mirror image of each other. The other half still unoccupied - they were difficult times. (It's not me but my elder brother, possibly - because of the pristine uniform - his first day at his new school).

Chris

GMschoolUniformWindyridge19.jpg

Back