• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

House interiors

OUR DINING ROOM

A room. Just an ordinary room. The family always call it “the dining room”. It’s not big. Taking up much of the space, there is a sideboard and a dining table with four chairs around it; a fifth chair stands apart and alone, under a corner cupboard. The house it is in is modern, but somehow, much earlier in the twelve years of its life, this room has acquired a ceiling of oak beams and a plate shelf high up on three walls and simulated leaded light windows in the bay window. The room looks old, just like the oak sideboard and the table and the wheelback chairs. But none of them is, really. It's all a bit of an illusion. In recent years and with changing circumstances the room has become rather more than just an ordinary dining room. It is the very heart and soul of the house. And now, at this time of the day, nothing much is happening in it.

There is a fire in the grate, and in the garden beyond the window, it is growing dark, for it is late on a winter’s afternoon. The fire hisses and smokes furiously; it has been banked up with a shovelful of slack so that the house will have its evening’s supply of hot water. The odd small puff of smoke escapes into the room where for a few moments it overwhelms the faint aroma of beeswax and last night’s tobacco. Later in the evening better coal in larger lumps will be put on, the fire will explode into life and suffuse the room with warmth and comfort. And a seven-year-old boy will be able to lie on the soft woollen hearthrug with his chin in his hands and gaze into the glowing coals and see wonderful caverns and passageways opening up, with flames of red and orange and purple within, spitting and sizzling, flaring and fading. But not yet.

On the dining table lie a schoolgirl’s exercise books ready for homework; a child’s board game; a pile of socks for darning; a bottle of ink and a dip-in pen beside an airmail letter pad. And a folded-up tablecloth and a pile of tablemats, ready to be spread out. Two large and comfortable armchairs in brown leather have squeezed themselves in on each side of the grey tiled fireplace. Between these identical chairs, each with its matching soft and velvety cushion, various ornaments sit on the wooden mantelpiece: one or two brass figures, all newly polished; a tiny mounted cannon whose cast lead barrel could well have been home-made, a pipe-rack which if touched leaves the smell of stale tar on the fingers. One of the polished figures is a splendid Tudor gentleman in doublet and hose and a magnificent hat. He stands there, full of pride and nobility, leaning back, one arm outstretched and the other perched on his waist. One day the teenaged daughter of the house will be inspired to roll up a one-penny Midland Red bus ticket. The ticket is white and has black printing on it. She inserts it into the crook of the arm. "There," she says, "Now he's selling the Birmingham Mail". Her young brother is so impressed with this wonderful joke that the next time he himself has a ticket, he does the same. Like with the first one, it mysteriously disappears after a day or two. He repeats the exercise. And again. And then again. Nothing is ever said. The mother is a very patient woman.

On a small table beside the left-hand chair lie a favourite pipe, a pack of Gold Flake, a Home Guard training manual, an atlas of Europe and on top of that a letter written on flimsy paper, opened but not yet examined with due care. A stranger looking at this letter - or, more important, the army censor through whose mittened hands it will have passed, somewhere in the wintry Italian countryside - would just see: “Hello Mother and Dad, Hope all is OK. I’m fine but a bit fed up with days of rain. We’re camped at the moment in thick mud in an olive grove …” But that stranger would not discover, just from a careless reading, precisely where, on that long, murderous road stretching far to the north, past Cassino, to Rome and beyond, the muddy olive grove is located. But after a few moments of careful reading and one or two jottings down and a reference to the atlas, the father will know where it is and where his boy was at that moment of writing and he will tell the mother and their other two children. Perhaps, in a few weeks time, another letter will come. Another ruined village. Another month survived. Another smile of relief secretly exchanged. But not yet.

Within easy reach beyond the chair, against the wall, is the large wooden wireless set, an American Zenith with a glowing dial and now the main source of entertainment and information for the family: music, plays, the comedy of ITMA (Can I do you now, sir?). And above all news - news from the BBC with Alvar Liddell reading it. News of the RAF and the latest bombing raid on the Ruhr, news from Italy and Frank Gillard, from the Pacific, from Russia along the River Don. Even, if you really want it although the family doesn't, news of a sort from Lord Haw-Haw in Hamburg. But the wireless is not yet switched on. Not yet.

By the side of the other easy chair, there is a large bookcase against the wall. It looks antique and its oak is highly polished. But perhaps it too, like the little cannon and the ancient beams, is home-made, and not very long ago - probably at the time when the family moved in. And it's probably designed to fit into that very alcove. On its shelves are a complete set of Dickens, "Eothen" by Alexander William Kinglake - awarded as a Prize for Physics from King Edward's, New Street in the summer of 1912. And "A History of the Great War", "Practical Woodworking Yearbook 1935", a newish paperback, "Gardening in Wartime". In the corner behind this chair and looking down on it stands a tall, walnut grandfather clock. In fact it is Grandfather’s clock. It has stood here for over three years, ever since it and its master were bombed out of their Handsworth home. It has survived its ordeal but the grandfather has not. The old clock ticks on, quietly resolute and comforting, as it has done for over a century already. Today it stands guardian over an area of wood-stained and polished floorboard at its foot, between the skirting board and the edge of the carpet. It is not a big area, but it is large enough for two children to fit into in times of particular danger and is now occupied by two neatly folded sleeping bags. So far this winter they have not been needed. Not yet.

It is nearly dark. The fire is spluttering into life and the clock is chiming five. It is time to shut out a cold and threatening world: to put up the crude blackout frames in the bay windows, draw the curtains, switch on the light, lay the table for supper, prepare for the evening. The room is ready. And beyond this approaching evening, and beyond unknown hundreds more evenings just like it in the future, perhaps one day, by the grace of God, the sleeping bags will return to the loft, the ugly blackout frames will be broken up, the room in this modest 1930s house will become, as it was before, just an ordinary dining room. And all five chairs will be back around the table.

But not yet. Not yet.

We had one small bay window the rest were sash. (They could slide up or down to open and had weights built into the frames). Red quarry tile floor in the kitchen. Dad had painted the kitchen that green when they were first married, with a black line round which apparently was his pride and joy. There were picture rails and one of those mirrors, highly dangerous above the fireplace but Nan always told me that I should roll myself in the hearthrug if I caught fire!!! I wish I had picture rails now in my house but they have been taken down. I think that leathery paper was Lincrusta? It had so many coats of paint, Mom was in that house for over 60 years.
rosie.
I remember the name Wallpamar but I don't know what it was. Gran had leathery paper half way up to what they call a dado rail now. We called our picture rail picture moulding. We had round metal light switches set in wood I think. Round plugs. We had air vents in the bedrooms.

in the kitchen we had a gas cooker a council boiler and a big brown sink,and a tin bath hanging on the wall. it was painted in white wash no bathroom or loo. we had to use a gazunda. of a night. the loo was down the rd,in a yard. and plenty of bed bugs.
WHAT A DUMP.
We had a gazunda each. Gran had thick cream lace curtains she tatted in her front room come bedroom. And we all had doilys tatted or embroidered in the bedrooms on the dressing tables. Sets, but that could be the candles or what went underneath. I still have mum's glass candlesticks from hers. Nan;s were china with flowers on I just put one out. As to peoples' memories recalling lots of things from the past. I think it was because we didn't have much. So you focussed on what you had. Imbedded in to our memories. As I child I read everything. I used to make songs up sitting on the loo to what was written on say... dad's brillcream jar. Nan's hoover was a Goblin bearing a red goblin.Our gas fires that we had in about 1960/1 were a Flavell Debonair which was a smart blue with darkish wood at the top. And a Bratt Colbran which was a sort of bronze colour. Somebody burnt the rug putting the hot white fire bricks on it. When I moved to my first home the gas fire was a Robinson Willey. We had a Gas Miser once. That was like oil slick colour. A Cyril Lord carpet. I remember Bex Bissel for some reason? A sweeper? Nan gave up scrubbing her steps. Stoning the step she said. We had a fire lighter which took 2 heavy batteries and was round like a torch with a long wand with an electric wire at the end. That's what it looked like to me. Can't remember the name but it was black or blue and white stripes I think. When I was in Cinderella on roller skates, about 1965/6 The fairygodmother used one of these for her wand. And they turned the lights out and it lit up to magic the coach and horses up! I thought it was wonderful so I got told off at home waving ours around. We were more respectful I think and made aware of dangers I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walpamur was a brand name for a type of water-based paint, I think made by Crown Paints. I am not sure if it was classed as a distemper or emulsion, they are both very similar anyway.

Decorators would use the phrase “give it a coat of wallop” referring of course to Walpamur.

The Bex Bissel was basically a carpet cleaner. It had a moulded semi-transparent body that you filled with a diluted cleaning shampoo. Underneath was a sponge roller and some brushes. You pulled the leave on the handle to allow the shampoo to drip onto the sponge and you worked it into your carpet.

In the days of no central heating, it would take weeks for your carpet to dry.

Stoning the step comes from the days when people used a Bath Brick to clean stone steps. They would leave a white surface on the step, commonly see in the North. They were made in the nineteenth century by a couple of companies in Bridgewater and are a mild abrasive made form fireclay. I have one at Sandfields Pumping Station not surprisingly.

Walpamur was a brand name for a type of water-based paint, I think made by Crown Paints. I am not sure if it was classed as a distemper or emulsion, they are both very similar anyway.

Decorators would use the phrase “give it a coat of wallop” referring of course to Walpamur.

The Bex Bissel was basically a carpet cleaner. It had a moulded semi-transparent body that you filled with a diluted cleaning shampoo. Underneath was a sponge roller and some brushes. You pulled the leave on the handle to allow the shampoo to drip onto the sponge and you worked it into your carpet.

In the days of no central heating, it would take weeks for your carpet to dry.

Stoning the step comes from the days when people used a Bath Brick to clean stone steps. They would leave a white surface on the step, commonly see in the North. They were made in the nineteenth century by a couple of companies in Bridgewater and are a mild abrasive made form fireclay. I have one at Sandfields Pumping Station not surprisingly.
We never had a Bex Bissel then. I must have seen it on TV. Those little hand carpet sweepers were great.

I ran the full spectrum of housing growing up. Started in Athole St Highgate, two up two down, outside loo and no bath them moved to a 3 bedroom flat, Balfour House, Cawdor Crescent which had underfloor heating ! My parents divorced and after a few years mom met a smashing fella whom she married and she and I moved into his three story five bedroomed house in Grove Avenue Mosely...a full gauntlet of houses and to tell the truth I was happy in all of them, its not the house thats the most important, its your parents love and care that make the home good.

I ran the full spectrum of housing growing up. Started in Athole St Highgate, two up two down, outside loo and no bath them moved to a 3 bedroom flat, Balfour House, Cawdor Crescent which had underfloor heating ! My parents divorced and after a few years mom met a smashing fella whom she married and she and I moved into his three story five bedroomed house in Grove Avenue Mosely...a full gauntlet of houses and to tell the truth I was happy in all of them, its not the house thats the most important, its your parents love and care that make the home good.
Richard, very well said!

I think that’s true. My parents were very unhappy and effectively gave up any pride in their house. Eventually when they split, the house suffered. But it was never really a truly happy house, full of arguments and always unfinished jobs. I suppose they felt little motivation to complete any work. Viv.

I think that’s true. My parents were very unhappy and effectively gave up any pride in their house. Eventually when they split, the house suffered. But it was never really a truly happy house, full of arguments and always unfinished jobs. I suppose they felt little motivation to complete any work. Viv.
Viv, my parents were the same as was the house, unfortunately they did not split, so I had to! That's why the Forum is such a comfortable place for me!

The consequence for me was that, when I was old enough, I spent as little time as possible at home. I was always at someone else’s house, so I got to explore the interiors of quite a lot of other types of houses. Houses of friends in the same road (all 1930s houses) each had different additions. A couple had a veranda (this was a part brick and glass structure attached to the back of the house - not a lean-to). I always thought they were a nice addition, especially on spring days. Some also covered over the area between the semi’s, covering the entry alongside the house and joining up with the coal house. The space was generally used as a storage area to store mops, shoes and for the dog if they had one. Quite a lot of space must have been gained. This was all before building extensions and loft conversions became popular. Viv.

Back