• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Groups We Have Seen Live

It is like we are the Burmuda Triangle for bands and their gigs :) Thanks for this, will try and get into the Library and search Evening Mail as Carolina suggests. Your memories point more to the March date rather than the June one.

Thanks

I have seen;

'Ten years After' Interlaken, Swiss. This summer. Not one of them under 70 (well they looked like it).

'Andy fairweather Lowe' The Plaza, Rookery Road.

'Simon Dupree and the Big-Sound' The Plaza, Rookery Road.

'Desmond Decka' Mothers, Erdington.

'The Beatles' ATV studios, Aston.

'Moody Blues' The N.E.C.

'Yes' Birmingham Town Hall and Odeon, New Street.

Geoff Lynne, Roy Wood, Bev Bevan before they were famous at 'The Bull's Head' Coventry Road.

'Galliard' Several Birmingham venues.

'Leo Sayer' Birmingham Town Hall.

'Hawkwind' Big pub in Perry Barr, corner of Wellington Road.

'Barcklay James Harvest'

I will have to dig around in my memories for the rest.

Speaking of Brum as the 'Bermuda Triangle' for bands, I remember seeing a famous band which shall remain nameless at Aston University and in between numbers they took the mickey mercilessly out of Brum, its people and our accent until the audience began to give them 'the bird'. That band went straight onto my "Never See Again" list.

Re: Bob's post above, I saw many bands at Mother's in Erdington, including Cream, John Mayall, Colliseum, Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Pink Floyd, Yardbirds and others I've forgotten. The 'big pub corner of Wellington Road' is the Crown & Cushion, and they used to have big-name bands quite regularly. I saw John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton there, a great night that was. Bob, was Lemmy still with Hawkwind when you saw them?

G

Right, have manage to put down some of the artistes I have seen.
PJ Proby
Beatles
Eden Kane
John Leyton
Alvin Stardust
Manfred Mann
Searchers
Johnny Tillotson
Bobby Vee
Dave Dee,Dozy,Beaky,Mick & Tich
Gerry & Pacemakers
Vanity Fayre
Peter Sarstedt
Peter Noone & Hermits
Carl Wayne & Vikings
Uglys
Showaddywaddy
Suzi Quatro
Marty Wilde
Joe Brown
Mud
Rubettes
Freddie & Dreamers

Think that will do for now.

Wow - thank God I didn't dream it! I wonder why The Plaza gig isn't on The Beatles' gigs website?

By the way, being long in the tooth and grey on the head, I can also remember seeing Cliff Richard & The Shadows at The Birmingham Hippodrome in about 1957 or 58. This was when he was still a rocker, before he went to those awful sugary ballads.

G

In addition to the link Bob has posted there is another totally amazing site Birmingham Music Archive which has pages and pages of
Brum and surrounding areas music history covering older music history and contemporary music history. It is split up into sections and you can search the archive.
Also, the site is looking for information for certain listings on the site and there is an area after each location where you can add information of your experiences, etc. to the site. There are many old photos, programmes, tickets, etc. there. I think it would take days to read the whole site. https://birminghammusicarchive.com/

Like every-one else who have replied I love live music and have seen numerous bands the latest being Squeeze at the Symphony Hall last night great venue there was a big screen behind them and when they played your city it showed old scenes of Birmingham.

Got me thinking if some of the old folk could come back and see all this and the luxury we can afford these days when they had vertually nothing but perhaps thats for another thread just a thought.

After checking the memory banks again, here are some more I have had the pleasure of seeing live.
Del Shannon.
Wayne Fontana.
Dave Berry.
Roy Wood.
Billie Davis.
The Ivy League.
The Animals.
Steve Ellis.
Swinging Blue Jeans.
The Black Abbots.
The Dave Clark Five.
Brian Hyland.
Anita Harris.
Gene Vincent.
Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen.
There cant be any more. Can there ?

Although I said I would like to see Elvis, but obviously too late now. Last night at a church in Bewdley they had an Elvis christmas carol evening. What a night, it was worth £5 for 2 hours and I cant wait to see this man again. Johnny Cowling. This youtube isnt from last night, but it gives you a good idea of him singing. From Return to Sender, Viva Las Vegas and a couple of I have never heard of and finishing (before the encore) with The American Triology. Not only a good singer, but a great comedian as well. I know its not Elvis, but it was a great evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVafGHWrlVU

According to Jules Holland last night and after interviewing 2 of The Eagles, there is a documentary to be shown about them on BBC2 next month - cant wait.

I'm a fairly proficient guitarist, and have done a couple of Eagles numbers, but their song that totally eludes me is "New Kid In Town". I can handle the key-change, but for whatever unknown reason I just can't get the tempo. Which is a shame, because it's a great song and I'd dearly love to play it in public. But I can't.

G

Did anyone else see the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park on the TV this weekend. It was the best live show featuring bands I have ever seen on TV. What a fantastic 1.5hrs. Where does Mick get his energy from.

Around 1963/64 I used to go to Kingshurst Youth Club and on a Sunday night we would travel by coach to the Coventry Theatre and see all the top groups. I know we had a great time and I still love the 60`s music. However it sounds really weird but I really can`t say who we saw. Is that daft or what ?

Did anyone else see the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park on the TV this weekend. It was the best live show featuring bands I have ever seen on TV. What a fantastic 1.5hrs. Where does Mick get his energy from.

Yes I saw it also and I believe the actual show was longer than what was televised, I may be wrong though. What crossed my mind was if any One Direction fans were watching and if they could imagine them doing a Hyde Park concert in forty fours years time, I think not:adoration::adoration:

Michael, If you can get in on catch up, please do - he put on his original white frock what he wore when he read the poem to Brian Jones[/QUOTE]

The first live group I saw was with my late Wife in Hong Kong (whilst serving with the RAF in Kai Tak) in 1953, it was Xavier Cougat (?) and his Wife Abi Lane playing South American brass, the last live artiste was the late Frankie Laine, a great favourite of my Wife at the Dome in Birmingham, this was in the 70 or 80's accompanied by the Bachelors and Frank Carson. Also saw a young Frank Sinatra in HK in 1954 a favourite of both my Wife and Myself. Happy days, now just memories. Eric
n

Genesis documentary 'Together And Apart' will be screened on BBC 2 on Saturday 4th October at 9:15pm. WHOOP WHOOP!!!!

Hi all,
Only just found this but a really good post, and some of the groups/bands mentioned brought back a few old mem` too. I had the pleasue of seeing the likes of: Status Quo (loads a times when they were younger), Uriah Heep, AC/DC, Bryan Adams, ZZ Top, Queen (at the old Wembley Stadium - Brilliant too), there should have been more but I stopped years ago. I would have loved to have seen Black Sabbath in their hey-day, Lynyrd Skynyrd (virtually all gone now), Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Stranglers .....and God knows how many others. Oh well -Oh yeh, Fleetwood Mac as well!!!!! Cheers Cresser.

Back