• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Groups We Have Seen Live

I honestly wouldn't be able to list all the groups I've seen live over the last half-century, but the ones that stick in my memory are:

Bob Dylan
Cream
Derek & The Dominoes
The Animals
Bonzo Dog Band
Fleetwood Mac
John Mayall Bluesbreakers

Groups I NEVER saw include The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. I queued up for hours in the rain to try to get to see The Beatles at the old Plaza on Rookery Road, but no chance. By amazing coincidence the girl I married (in 1971) was also in the long, long queue - this was about 6 years before we met - and she didn't get in either. I regret not seeing The Beatles but don't regret marrying my wife!

Big Gee

hello all, i saw the Beatls, Screaming Lord Sutch and Gerry and the Dukes at the Say Mama club in Sutton Coldfield, i had been invited by Gerry with whome i went to school a year or two ago.

shardeen

Although this is probably an inappropriate thread, zak14 has this moment jogged my memory - so I hope I will be forgiven.
Has anybody on the Forum any news of Stan Nettles. Stan is a great blues mouth organ/harmonica player who once told me he had played with Black Sabbath in their early days [1968/70(?)]. I met Stan in September 1970 and we ended up working together for Whatlings, a Scottish construction company based in Glasgow, which had won a contract to build a new naval barracks on Gibraltar. We worked there together for about five months ..... then our paths separated and I've had no news of him since. Should anyone know Stan, know of Stan, be related to Stan or know of his whereabouts, could you please let me know an email address, telephone number, or whatever, as I would dearly like to get in touch with him again. No, he doesn't owe me any money !!!
Thanks ever-so-much, David :)

Last edited:
I've lost count cos I was the piano tuner for The Odeon, and on occasions, The NEC Arena. I got to tune the 2 pianos at the Queen 'The Works' tour at the NEC, which was nice.

Hi and welcome PianoTuner how wonderful to have tuned the piano Freddy would play. I have a friend who is a piano tuner but his work is mainly the local church and schools.

Hi, does anyone remember "Buddy Holly and the Crickets" live at the Birmingham Town hall, must have been around 1958, great concert !

Thanks for that Michael, I think I had just left school then, My first year at Turners. It was not long after that, when Buddy Holly died, I was in "The Ear and Throat Hospital in Birmingham having my tonsils out, I think that news was more painfull than the aftermath of the operation.

Mud, Shawaddywaddy, Slade,Tina Turner, David Essex, Adam Ant (this was not my choice, took a younger family friend as a birthday surprise )Tom Jones,The Barron Knights, Pop will eat itself, Mary Black, Meatloaf,AC/DC and my three favourites seen numerous times, Bryan Adams, The Levellers and Chris de Burgh.
Also, a local group who played working mens clubs in Tamworth in the 70s, Pentad.
Feel another concert booking coming on, hide the cards quickly!!!

Hello all,

My only claim to " fame " I once saw Nat King Cole at Birmingam Hippodrome. { oh! and I once met Freddie & the Dreamers at a party .} {oh! yes and Barry Mason the songwriter came to supper at my house .}

Trying very hard to keep up with you celebrities but am really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Betty

oh dear now shall put the "cool" list or the actual one..... here goes.....

David Essex
East 17
Take That x 4
Bad Boys Inc
Mr Blobby
Fluffy
The Cardigans
Bootleg Beatles
Backbeat Beatles
Levellers
Bluetones
Heavy Stereo
Blur
Oasis
Stereophonics
Manic Street Preachers
showaddywaddy
Morcheeba
Boyzone
Westlife
Atomic Kitten (with Ms Katona)
Pet Shop Boys
David Bowie
Moloko
Duran Duran
Goldfrapp
Paul Weller
Robbie Williams x 2
Farse
Jimmy Eat World
Green Day
Pearl Jam

Raymond Froggat, my hubby went to school with him.
I used to go and see him every week, brilliant singer, don't know why he never went further in his career, would hazard a guess that he probably didn't like being told what to do.

Hi all
one name has not come up yet.maybe its my age.
Frank sinatra birmingham hip in the late 40s.the place was
half empty.he was then at a low ebb.

Hi all
one name has not come up yet.maybe its my age.
Frank sinatra birmingham hip in the late 40s.the place was
half empty.he was then at a low ebb.
I would have loved to see him, amazing singer actor, lucky you :)

Hi Liz, Believe it or not Froggie is still singing. Have a look on facebook. He has his own page! There is also a website, cant remember it but just put in his name on the search engine. Nicki

We still love him in Brum......ah.... In and Out Of the Red Balloon....lovely

When I was stationed in Hong Kong with my Wife in early 50's we would go to the Cinema a lot (because they were air conditioned) and the film was often followed by a 'live' show lasting about half hour, and at different times I remember seeing Frank Sinatra, Frankie Laine and Exaviar Cougart (spelt wrong) with his Wife Abe Lane,(vocalist) playing South American music at no extra cost. Eric

Hi all
at 14 years of age i did not realise i was watching a legend.
Who would still be going many years latter.
Ken

Hi Liz, Believe it or not Froggie is still singing. Have a look on facebook. He has his own page! There is also a website, cant remember it but just put in his name on the search engine. Nicki
Hi Nicki, I know and have seen his site, good as ever

Oh how lucky you were to see Frank Sinatra :)

I have over 200 records and tapes of his ......................

A man to admire with a voice to melt you :love:

I saw The Beatles twice
The Walker Brothers
P.J.Proby
The Troggs
Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky etc.
The Searchers
The Four Tops
The Temptations
Edwin Starr
The Move
The Bachelors