• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Groups We Have Seen Live

Found a few more old ticket stubs out.
(for Proof!)
But Black Sabbath for 70 pence.

Black Sabbath - 1972.jpg

Curved Air - 1973.jpg

Genesis - 1973.jpg

Wishbone Ash - 1972.jpg

Edgar Broughton - 1972.jpg

I too just discovered this very enjoyable music thread. Living in Canada and North America in general, you realize what a big part music plays in British culture. It's ironic that much of the music we enjoyed was rooted in North America. However, I can say with some authority that Americans do not have the same connection to music that I and most of you guys do. Yes, there is a big music scene over here, but it is very superficial. I doubt very much if a thread like this would produce the same results, in particular the musical knowledge aspect. As teenagers, there is very little difference between Americans and Brits regarding musical interests, however, as we age, the difference is marked. I was fortunate to have lived in the UK until the mid 60's, which was an amazing time in the world of music. As a very young kid, my dad would take me to the Birmingham Town Hall to see the likes of Humphrey Lyttleton, Freddie Randall et al. We would go with my mom to the Birmingham Hippodrome to see Al Martino, Billy Eckstine, Johnny Ray, Frankie Laine etc. My folks moved to Crawley, Sussex in '56 but I was always visiting Brum whenever I had the opportunity. I started an R&B club in Crawley in 64-65 and had many of the now well known acts like The Animals, Pretty Things, Yardbirds, Alex Harvey, John Mayall, Long John Baldry and Rod Stewart + many more, don't get me started...

Dave A

Saw Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers at Birmingham Town Hall on 16th June 1977, i believe their second UK tour.

R.I.P. Tom, you will be sadly missed...

So sad hearing about Tom Pettys death. I saw him in 1992 at the NEC Arena "Into the great wide open" tour.
Great band, will be sadly missed.

I saw Status Quo in the days when they had short hair and wore smart suits. I think it was at The Swan, Yardley. We were queuing up for our coats when they suddenly realised they'd run out of time and hadn't played their big hit Pictures of Matchstickmen, so they played it there and then. I also saw The Who at the Belfry. My ears are still ringing.

Regards, Ray T.

I was born in 1940 and remember many post war stars who were famous before the rock and roll era. Later, Tommy Steele became my favourite as I grew older but I used to listen to all of them. When I was 18 in 1958 I started work as a part time doorman (bouncer). Having worked the doors at several venues on the Bristol Road, mainly in Selly Oak, Mothers in Erdington and a few others where and when extra help was required I found my music choice was changing. My last door job was at the Tower Ballroom and I found that I preferred ballroom music to pop and rock that had become not so enjoyable to me. I still prefer dance music but I also listen to singers with what I consider to be a nice voice. My all time favourite has always been "Country Music" but that has also changed out of all recognition now so I am glad I have all the old stuff on C.D.

I was born in 1940 and remember many post war stars who were famous before the rock and roll era. Later, Tommy Steele became my favourite as I grew older but I used to listen to all of them. When I was 18 in 1958 I started work as a part time doorman (bouncer). Having worked the doors at several venues on the Bristol Road, mainly in Selly Oak, Mothers in Erdington and a few others where and when extra help was required I found my music choice was changing. My last door job was at the Tower Ballroom and I found that I preferred ballroom music to pop and rock that had become not so enjoyable to me. I still prefer dance music but I also listen to singers with what I consider to be a nice voice. My all time favourite has always been "Country Music" but that has also changed out of all recognition now so I am glad I have all the old stuff on C.D.
Sticher, an unlikely combination, sewing & a bouncer. I hope you didn`t take your sewing with you on your bouncing jobs! Were you on the door when that well know one hit wonder, The Rockin Berries were doing their big hit? I can`t think of any other acts that were on that night, i was probably too busy with the amber nectar to notice.

I started a part time course on how to be a tailor whilst still at school so I learned the basics but did not really fancy sewing for a living for the next 50 years. I have posted a list of the jobs I had through my life previously. When I met my wife almost 50 years ago she had a sewing machine but could not use it. I tried to show her but she was not a good pupil so I made her a pair of flared trousers. She thought they were great so I ended up making most of her clothes, followed by a wardrobe full for our son when he was out of nappies. I made the wife a ball gown every year for an annual dinner dance we used to attend. When we were older and stopped going out at night I started making soft toys and earned some good money at it but the law changed and strict regulations were bought in dictating what materials you could use and the finished items had to have labels attached along with a raft of other regulations. By now clockwork watches and clocks were dying out and I did not want to learn about the electric mechanisms so I had no hobbies left and that was when someone suggested Xsitch and that brings us up to the present. To answer you question, "no, I did not take my sewing to work" but it was always a good defence
in court when my solicitor pointed out that needlework was my hobby so it was doubtful that I was a violent man.

Some really impressive lists of bands that members have seen on previous posts. Among the acts that I've seen (off the top of my head) are:
The Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Crosby Stills & Nash, The Jam, Elvis Costello, The Stranglers, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music, Mott The Hoople, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, The Moody Blues, David Bowie, The Who, Robert Plant, Edgar Winter, Steve Winwood, Rick Wakeman & Jon Anderson, Glen Campbell, Kenny Rodgers, Dolly Parton, The Jacksons, Dionne Warwick, Jean Michel Jarre, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Ray Davies, Tony Bennett, Bob Dylan, Elton John and Eric Clapton.

By the way, did anyone else see Andy Fairweather Low on this year's Hootenanny below? As he said, he's now been singing "(If Paradise Is) Half as Nice" for 55 years. Still sounded as good as it did when he sung it with Amen Corner too.

1672666787534.jpeg 1672666847034.jpeg

Some really impressive lists of bands that members have seen on previous posts. Among the acts that I've seen (off the top of my head) are:
The Rolling Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Crosby Stills & Nash, The Jam, Elvis Costello, The Stranglers, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music, Mott The Hoople, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, The Moody Blues, David Bowie, The Who, Robert Plant, Edgar Winter, Steve Winwood, Rick Wakeman & Jon Anderson, Glen Campbell, Kenny Rodgers, Dolly Parton, The Jacksons, Dionne Warwick, Jean Michel Jarre, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Ray Davies, Tony Bennett, Bob Dylan, Elton John and Eric Clapton.

By the way, did anyone else see Andy Fairweather Low on this year's Hootenanny below? As he said, he's now been singing "(If Paradise Is) Half as Nice" for 55 years. Still sounded as good as it did when he sung it with Amen Corner too.

View attachment 176712 View attachment 176713
Yes , John I saw him thought he was fantastic, especially his ‘ I’ve been working 55 years’ quote

View attachment 176712 View attachment 176713
I watch Jools Holland and thought Andy Fairweather Lowe looked like Phil Collins. I remember seeing him a few years ago with Eric Clapton at the ICC

Bands, singers I have seen
Roxy Music, Bowie, Be Bop Deluxe, Status Quo, Hawkwind, Strawbs, Genesis , The Who, Budgie,Thin Lizzy, Queen, Elton John, Kings of Leon, Killers, Eagles, the great Paul Weller, Ocean Colour Scene, Mott the Hoople, Bad Company.

band members.....i was in ebh hospital with roy wood.and the group come in on sat night the porter went out for fish and chips and some beer.

About 1970 a relative invited me to the community centre in Aston to see his friends playing in a band - I didnt go- they were Sabbath, but he didn't name them as Sabbath. A few years ago Birmingham had a Blues festival - lots of free music including Shuggy Otis. I saw Shuggy three times in one day the last being at the bear in Harborne I think. On arrival I went up a staircase and there was Paul Mcgrath with a half pint, he was a fan of Shuggy. One other thing opposite the registry office playing on a tiny stage on the pavement up against the railings ( in a thunder storm ) was The charlatans- although I may be mistaken - was it them?

Shadows, Chubby Checker, Sonny Boy Williamson, the Who, Spencer Davies & Stevie Winwood, Beatles, Cream and Jimi Hendrix,Yardbirds, Rolling Stones, Manfred Mann, Dubliners,Simon &Garfunkle, Joan Baez, Gerry & The Pacemakers, P J Proby, Dave Brubeck, Four Tops, Bobby Darin, Helen Shapiro, Lulu, Judy Collins, Temperance Severn and the wonderful Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (Love their Gorilla LP) .

in 1994 we wnet to the Brecon jass festival. on the way home we stopped for some chomp. while chomping who come in to play was the Bonzo Dog doo Dah Bandwhat a great evening it turned out:grinning:

When I was at Cardinal Wiseman I remember listening to Stevie and Muff Winwood and their group from the outside a type of community centre near to the School, during our lunchbreak.

Shadows, Chubby Checker, Sonny Boy Williamson, the Who, Spencer Davies & Stevie Winwood, Beatles, Cream and Jimi Hendrix,Yardbirds, Rolling Stones, Manfred Mann, Dubliners,Simon &Garfunkle, Joan Baez, Gerry & The Pacemakers, P J Proby, Dave Brubeck, Four Tops, Bobby Darin, Helen Shapiro, Lulu, Judy Collins, Temperance Severn and the wonderful Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (Love their Gorilla LP) .
To continue: The Animals, Billy Fury, Adam Faith, Alvin Stardust, Georgy Fame, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Dave Berry. A few Jazz bands at summer Festivals in Lightwood Park. Chris Barber, Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball.

To continue: The Animals, Billy Fury, Adam Faith, Alvin Stardust, Georgy Fame, Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Dave Berry. A few Jazz bands at summer Festivals in Lightwood Park. Chris Barber, Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball.
Hello Tinpot,
you just jogged my memory I saw Alvin Stardust (aka Shane Fenton) at the Locarno in Birmingham in the 70’s, although not really my type of music I must sat he was a fantastic performer who knew how work his audience.

Wow some of you guys have seen a lot of live bands- I remember seeing Led Zeppelin at the Town Hall around 1968/69 accompanied by Jethro Tull and Blodwyn Pig. The weirdest live performance I saw was in 2003, we were in New York and had just done the carriage ride round Central Park and were walking back when I saw a crowd in the distance and could hear live music Not many people, say a couple of hundred, cameras were rolling and as i got myself a good view, there she was, Beyonce in full throw, singing and dancing and asking some guy to put a ring on it . Typical New Yorkers though generally too busy with their lives to stop and watch.

The Town Hall was the first place I went to see live music, sometime in the '60's, and saw Brenda Lee (Little Miss Dynamite). Went with schoolmates, in the balcony looking down onto the front of the stage, and, wow, was she little! Dressed in billowing early 60's style skirts with beehive hairdo, on her own on the stage (can't remember the backing band) she had a real quality voice, and sang non-stop for the session - excellent.
Went to the Town Hall quite regularly after this, but remember only Jonnie Kidd and the Pirates before going to see Simon and Garfunkel during their first UK tour, no backing except Simon's guitar, and just the two voices. I will never forget 'For Emily, wherever I may find her' live by Garfunkel with just Simon's guitar as backing - wonderful, filled the place with their music.
The other unforgettable Town Hall experience was seeing the new band, the Rolling Stones - with Brian Jones. We went, same places in the balcony, band come onstage, Mick says 'hello' and audience begin to scream - and I mean SCREAMMMMED ... we could hear nothing after the first couple of guitar strums to 'Not Fade Away'. We left immediately, and, (it gets worse!), then saw the ads for anothert band booked to appear there, 'The Beatles'....which we decided to give a miss because we were sure we would not be able to hear anything if we went!! So, we missed the chance to see live what could well be the greatest most influential band of all time......
Seemed like ages later (probably a couple of years) back at the Town Hall to see The Incredible String Band, then the new 'supergroup' Traffic, and finally, Led Zeppelin.
As the thread is live music, I must mention the Odeon cinema in New Street for the Small Faces with Steve Marriot, and finally, Bob Dylan (first set, acoustic, to cheers; second set, electric, to jeers, and, he turned it up to 11!!).
I've mentioned elsewhere live music at the Swan and the Bull Yardley, and Carlton/Mothers at Erdington, but also worth a mention is the Silver Blades Ice Rink, where we saw The Yardbirds with the new lead guitarist Jeff Beck, and where on another night we waited until after 10pm for The Move to come onstage, and eventually left to get home on time and missed them altogether.
Last place (promise) is the Hen and Chickens at Langley, where I remember The Idle Race (with Jeff Lynn) as the first time I heard drums with microphones (miked-up), and all sound from the instruments put through the P.A. (Public address) side loudspeakers, to give a balanced sound wherever you stood, left, right or centre.
Happy days, we were spoiled in Brum in the 60's for live music.

Going to my first live gig in a long long long time to see Tom Jones at Cardiff Castle in August :)

70s was a great time for gigs, saw many different 'big' bands and some of them more than once, Dylan, Stones, Led Zep, Hendrix and more were fantastic gigs but two small gigs at Birmingham Town Hall really stayed in my head, both mid week gigs; Alan Price and then Elkie Brooks, neither were sold out but both of them performed so well. Alan Price walked into the bar and I asked if he would give his autograph..."Sure thing but it costs a large scotch" with a wink in his eye. I got the autograph and he got a large scotch :)

Way too many to list, and half probably forgotten across the decades anyway lol, but richardinwales's mention of Elkie Brooks instantly reminded me of being in Brighton on business overnight in '77/8, and after tea at the hotel I went off for a wander around for a while. The hotel was on the Front on a corner with one of the roads leading down to it, and I thought I'd walk along, take a look round The Lanes, wander up in to the Town after and look it over, probably find a decent-enough place to stop for a drink or two at some point, and then head back with a stroll along the beach on the way.

I got as far as somewhere around where the Odeon cinema is today - maye even it was that then too but also as a gig venue - with an awning that had "Elkie Brooks" on it and with its doors open. I liked EB, the sign said 7:30 start and it was just gone 7:15 by my watch so on a total impulse born from an accident which arose out of a coincidence, I walked in and they had a number of good stalls seats open on the Plan, from which I chose the one that was right up front (of course!) and enjoyed a super and unexpected couple of hours!

Which has in fact just brought back something similar but 3,500 or-so miles away: My career was shared between here and the US for most of it's 45-yr span, and for a good part of that I would spend anything from 2-4 months a year across there in visits that might be for just a couple of days or might be for a few weeks. I chose Washimgton DC for my main Eastern base as I was associated wth a US firm there who were happy for me to use their office etc as my own when across.

A couple of trips prior to one DC-visit I had been going through the music channels on the in-flight entertainment, and my ear was instantly caught at one point by something from a band I had never heard of, called Blues Traveller who have since gone on to greater success in the US and also over here too in their niche sector as I am sure many here now will know. Before returning home I made sure to find a couple of their albums to bring back with me.

So, on this later visit to DC I dropped my stuff off at a room I would often stay in at the Arts Club, which being a member of the NY Arts Club made possible on a reciprocal basis, which was great because it was like having a private Apartment!

A little later when I had changed and freshened after the long flight I went across to where there was a little convenience store to pick a few things up for the room, also to check out the menu on the restaurant next to it where I would frequently eat .. and which was already calling to me anyway because whilst only late afternoon there I was at mid-evening or later body-clock time and needed a proper meal!

And that was when I noticed a handwritten poster on a board by the convenience store, saying Blues Traveller had a gig that evening in the Gym at George Washinton University .. which was literally steps away and right around the corner! So I walked up to the corner out of curiousity, and could then see the end of a short queue that had started to form ... so, forgetting the restaurant I went and joined the queue - sorry, the line - with my bag of room snacks, lol.

Over the hour or so before it opened to let people in, I had a great time just chatting with people around me who quickly noticed an English accent in a conversation and would join-in, amazed to find anyone from overseas who had even heard of this little-but-rising new kinda-wacky-folksy-bluesy band!

I had to confess that they were new to me too since hearing them only once and for the first time a few weeks back on a flight, and that it was entirely a fluke that I had just flown-in and discovered they were gigging right across the street with just enough time for me to settle and change and join the line! :)

And at that point I was "Wow dude, fantastic!"-ed close to death by their fans :)

In fact I must have had similar conversations with a few different groups between then and being inside and around where I was seated, at times re-repeated by someone calling to a friend to come over with their friends too and meet me and hear what brought me 3,500 miles to their Gym :) ...

And after the (superb!) gig .. not a monster crowd in a major venue, note, but in the fantastic atmosphere of I'd say 500-550 tops in a school gym with bleacher seating and marked out with a basketball court (!) I joined a couple of the groups for a drink or three nearby, and was then split from there to go on with a few others to somewhere else for a couple more ... all awesomely friendly and inviting, just me and couple of hundred new best-friends! :)

So, an entirely out-of-nowhere great night that happened only because of a string of things occurring that led to that trip starting in the UK on that day with that flight, and to me ending up at that store just then after getting in, just to pick up room-snacks and then seeing that notice.

Just makes you wonder sometimes! :)

A link to the bands who played the Odeon in 1980, some great names appeared that year .

Source: Birmingham Live accessed 24/4/2023 @ 14:15 hrs

Back