• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Groups We Have Seen Live

Saw Led Zeppelin in Birmingham in 1971- brilliant gig. At the Odeon in the 1960s I saw the Beatles, Dave Dee and the rest of them, Jimi Hendrix and The Kinks. At the Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr saw the Way of Life and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown who nearly set fire to the curtains!

I have seen Pink Floyd. Julie has screamed for Cliff Richard. Both before we met. We have seen Sandie Shaw together.
We have had sheltered lives compared to others here.

Andrew.

Eddie Cochran
Gene Vincent
Marty Wilde
Joe Brown
Eden Kane
Emile Ford & The Checkmates
Johnny Leyton
Billy Fury
Cliff Richard
The Shadows
The Spotnicks
Nero & The Gladiators
Acker Bilk & His Paramount Jazz Band
Kenny Ball
Temperence Seven
Chris Barber
The Mavericks
Have seen many of them too.In the days, when music really was music.Happy days.Have many of them on my jukebox.

Saw Led Zeppelin in Birmingham in 1971- brilliant gig. At the Odeon in the 1960s I saw the Beatles, Dave Dee and the rest of them, Jimi Hendrix and The Kinks. At the Crown and Cushion in Perry Barr saw the Way of Life and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown who nearly set fire to the curtains!
Does anyone know if there is an archive of all the gigs at Birmingham Town Hall. I am looking specifically for Free supported by The Sutherland Brothers in the early 70's? Many thanks.

I have seen
Rod Stewart
Dire Straits
Elton John
Dr Hook
Queen
Fats Domino
New Seekers
Boney M
Neil Diamond
The Shadows
Liked to have seen, Elvis, Wizzard

Does anyone know if there is an archive of all the gigs at Birmingham Town Hall. I am looking specifically for Free supported by The Sutherland Brothers in the early 70's? Many thanks.

There is this website for bands although I'm sure it's only as complete as the information they have found/been given... this is the entry for Free, no mention of Birmingham Town Hall on the page...

Sutherland Brothers played there twice as a support act in late 71 / early 72 but not to Free.

There's this website too, which goes back to the 70's if you want to have a look through that!

A link to the bands who played the Odeon in 1980, some great names appeared that year .

Source: Birmingham Live accessed 24/4/2023 @ 14:15 hrs
Wow, I was at loads of those gigs, used to be at the Odeon practically every week. Great memories.

We went to Birmingham Town Hall yesterday evening to see Lindisfarne. The taxi driver dropped us on the corner of Margaret St and Edmund St and said he'd pick us up at the same place later. He could have said "Meet me on the Corner". Great show but how we miss Alan Hull.

Despite not being a local, my first experience of a proper stadium-scale gig was in Birmingham. My dad took me to see Page & Plant at the NEC. They'd recently released No Quarter, and did a mix of songs from that and the old Led Zeppelin standards, ably supported by a chap from the Cure and great variety of world music folk, including a very talented hurdy-gurdy player. Amazing experience. That first aftermath sensation of being able to do nothing but enjoy the residual buzz as your hearing slowly returns over the next few hours.

Back