• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
it used to be mike but in this day and age i also cant see that happening...will be interesting to see what plans they have for it..the main thing is its looking like it will be saved..

Can't see it being moved back to Digbeth, when the only available space on the High Street has been turned into a car park (Digbeth Court Car Park).

Maybe some kind of little museum or a gift shop? A cafe maybe?

agree with you ell...it wont go back to digbeth...ages ago i also thought it would make a good little museum but i doubt that will happen...more likely an eating place of some sorts...must keep them peeled now to see how things turn out...

lyn

Hi Lynn
Can you tell me why on earth did they move it from digbeth brick by brick
If it was an pub there and then it must have cost money in those days
To move it from A 2 B
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Hi Lynn
Many thanks for your fast reply, let's hope some one comes up with a Good Idea
How large would you say the floor space is inside the building
Alan,,,,

I expect it will get lots of suggestions similar to the Cadbury Barn. It's well positioned to give a focal point for events. And there seems to be lots of potential activity at Cannon Hill like food festivals etc. Hopefully it can be incorporated in some way into any annual programme of events. Hiring out, marriages, event hire etc could bring in income. Other buildings make it work very well by using events to build income. And if it's a bit quirky inside, all the better. Viv.

good ideas viv...alan ive no idea of the floor space inside but i have been up close to it and i dread to think what the state of the inside is like as it has been left for so many years now...it will take a lot of work bringing it up to scratch but its not impossible...

lyn

just received this info folks...looks interesting enough to attend..hopefully things are on the move now to save this gem of a building..nice to see the TWO TOWERS BREWERY getting involved..

Attachments

• Golden Lion (2).jpg
    Golden Lion (2).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I'm new to this forum and have just come across this thread. The saving of the Golden Lion is something that is very dear to my heart, so I have a suggestion to help raise funds towards its restoration.

Every Saturday morning throughout the year up to 1000 runners take part in a 'park run', at Cannon Hill Park. These runners pay nothing towards the upkeep of the park. Every Saturday each runner runs past the Golden Lion and all must see its poor condition. May I suggest that these runners pay a small contribution towards its restoration. If we say £1 every time they run, that over a one year period would go some way towards if not the full restoration but certainly a meaningful gesture.

H i Lynn
Why they cannot leave it where it is and renovate it there as where it his
After all they are regenerating the whole area i was told by a certain person whom was in the know
that being calthorpes land and the whole of edgbaston and most certainly selly park area of birmingham
and thats why for one of the part reasons BBC Was demolished to make way
selly park is an up coming part of the city and edgbaston quarters which will have investments
there is alot of high flyers of people living in selly park and certain parts of edgbaston
It as alot of wealthy people living within the boundrys of the park and alot of TV Personalitys
whom freqent the park,
plus we have alot of international vistors whom come to the cricket ground and for the tennis touriments
world class players from over seas
they have built and extended the cricket ground fantasticly and spent a fortune
and our city city centre is only a stone throw from the park and stroll over to the building
We have loads of Actors and Actress,s and film directors and and TV presenters living with less than half a mile
some and alot of them live in the Avenues of the park its self there is quite afew of them there front garden gate
is virtualy in the park its self , plus some of the top councillors also live around there
that i do know but i will not name names that i do know personaly they are the high flyers of the council
i say no more on that ,but it was told to me afew years back now that there was big planns for selly park
by a person whom was in the know
so thats why i think they should leave it there co,s to move it its cost money
money spent moving it could be spent on the repairs
best wishes Alan...

I don't see what the Pebble Mill site or even Selly Park has to do with the Golden Lion in Cannon Hill Park.

As BBC Birmingham has been based at The Mailbox since 2004/05.

selly park is the extention of cannon hill park and thats where the goldenlion pub is aint it
and pebblemill was cleared for the new construction wich is across from the park
for regenerating the area as its very close to city and when a council officier tell you that
what the planns are and if you knew the area you would know why i mentionioned the gold lion
because that was the topic of removing it from the park and transporting back into city area
thats what the pebblemill and the golden lyon my friend was mentioned

Cannon Hill is in the Edgbaston / Moseley areas. Selly Park is over the border.

Unless you mean the bit that goes behind the houses following the path of the River Rea?
Although I've never found the entrance to the park from Moor Green Lane. Usually end up going in via Russell Road.

Selly Park Moor Green.jpg

Can anyone tell me where the exact location of the Golden Lion was before it was moved from Deritend?

This postcard shows two children and an older man posing in front of the Golden Lion in the park. Something suggests to me that they're not just visiting the park. Could they have lived at the GL in the park do you think? Viv.

image.jpeg

This image is of the Golden Lion in 1911. Think this must have been taken just before it was moved from Deritend to Cannon Hill Park. The Gresley Brewery sign is interesting, not heard of this before. Info about this Derbyshire brewery also attached below. Viv.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 8
nice photo viv..looks as though it pre dates 1895 which is when the brewery ceased

lyn

Last edited:
Saw a squirrel on the scaffolding of the Golden Lion, while another one ran under the green fences.

Yet nearby is something called Golden Putter Mini Golf!

looking at the deterioration of the wood ell the golden lion wont last many more winters...tragic

lyn

Its a great pity, that our so called " City Fathers " dont donate this building, (whats left of it) to The Black Country Living Museum......... Before it gets burned down !!

Took a new photo of the Golden Lion passing the Boating Lake in Cannon Hill Park.

There is a construction site around the Outdoor Arena next to The MAC.

That's modern living for you, Lyn, and history takes very much of a back seat in the rat race.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
This image is of the Golden Lion in 1911. Think this must have been taken just before it was moved from Deritend to Cannon Hill Park. The Gresley Brewery sign is interesting, not heard of this before. Info about this Derbyshire brewery also attached below. Viv.
View attachment 117001
Interesting to see the parcel deliveries sign and what looks like an ICES sign, the boarded up window could have been a serving opening for a shop.

Back