• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Hi BHF,

I was walking past the sad and sorry Golden Lion in Cannon Hill Park (still such a shame abot it's demise, I've reading the previous articles about it's life since relocation from Digbeth, so sad) and I was wondering if anyone had traced where the pub originally stood on High Street Deritend?
Are there any map images I could look at/some can link me too?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

All the best

Seb

See these photos on Facebook from Birmingham Hidden Spaces

https://www.facebook.com/HiddenBrum/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1190959090926436

And it has a link to this new website https://www.golden-lion.net/

https://www.hidden-spaces.co.uk/news/golden-lion-project-launche

For the second time in its history the grade II listed Golden Lion is at risk of being lost. Originally built as a Guild-house on the Deritend in the 16th Century, the building was saved from demolition in 1911 by the Birmingham Archaeological society and transported brick-by-brick to its current home in Canon Hill Park.

A structure much-loved by the local community, the building has been slowly deteriorating and is sadly now held up by scaffolding. Re.Future Collective in partnership with the Birmingham and District Allotment Confederation have secured funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to undertake an options appraisal on the building, to regenerate the building through community co- design. And we are going to need your help...

No problem. Thought that there would have been more comments in the last 24 hours since my last post!

Hopefully they will do something good with it, and try to maintain it for the future.

Almost missed your post myself Ell, don't know why. But a very important development. They're looking for "Friends" if anyone's interested. A couple of dates for the diary in August (27 & 28) to start consultation if people want to get involved. They're looking for ideas for sustainable use of the building. Excellent. And good to see a food festival planned for October to raise awareness. All seems to be moving in the right direction.

Viv

thanks ell and viv sorry i completely missed your posts...well this is looking good for the old pub...must say i had written it off...will follow this closely now..

lyn

Me too Lyn. Be interesting to see how it progresses. If anyone gets involved, be nice to hear about it. A great opportunity (and challenging) to get the place back into shape. Viv.

it used to be mike but in this day and age i also cant see that happening...will be interesting to see what plans they have for it..the main thing is its looking like it will be saved..

Can't see it being moved back to Digbeth, when the only available space on the High Street has been turned into a car park (Digbeth Court Car Park).

Maybe some kind of little museum or a gift shop? A cafe maybe?

agree with you ell...it wont go back to digbeth...ages ago i also thought it would make a good little museum but i doubt that will happen...more likely an eating place of some sorts...must keep them peeled now to see how things turn out...

lyn

Hi Lynn
Can you tell me why on earth did they move it from digbeth brick by brick
If it was an pub there and then it must have cost money in those days
To move it from A 2 B
Best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,,,

Hi Lynn
Many thanks for your fast reply, let's hope some one comes up with a Good Idea
How large would you say the floor space is inside the building
Alan,,,,

I expect it will get lots of suggestions similar to the Cadbury Barn. It's well positioned to give a focal point for events. And there seems to be lots of potential activity at Cannon Hill like food festivals etc. Hopefully it can be incorporated in some way into any annual programme of events. Hiring out, marriages, event hire etc could bring in income. Other buildings make it work very well by using events to build income. And if it's a bit quirky inside, all the better. Viv.

good ideas viv...alan ive no idea of the floor space inside but i have been up close to it and i dread to think what the state of the inside is like as it has been left for so many years now...it will take a lot of work bringing it up to scratch but its not impossible...

lyn

just received this info folks...looks interesting enough to attend..hopefully things are on the move now to save this gem of a building..nice to see the TWO TOWERS BREWERY getting involved..

Attachments

• Golden Lion (2).jpg
    Golden Lion (2).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back