• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Thanks for the update photos Ell. Many have tried to get a response...I was going to say a reasonable response from BCC....but still the
Golden Lion sits awaiting it's fate. It's more than sad to watch this once great looking building rotting away. What's more it's a sitting target
for vandalism even with the fences and blocks in place.

The council are investing in other things in the park, such as a crazy golf course, even saw what looks like a mini rollercoaster there.

The only place open to eat and drink in, is the Garden Tearoom and at the MAC.

I don't think the Great Birmingham 10K went in the park yesterday, but the Great Birmingham Run (every October), and next years Birmingham International Marathon (from October 2017), people will run past it.

yes thats right ell..i posted a couple of years back about the mini golf costing £40000 i think it was to build while this wonderful historic building lies rotting away year after year...having always been a realist and because nothing has been done for years to retain the golden lion i can only see one way this will go...as with the fox and grapes i asked questions but failed...:( both of these pubs needed the full weight from the people of birmingham behind them if there was to be any chance of saving them..one person or just a few would not make a jot of difference..at least i tried but it is of very small consolation to me..

lyn

Last edited:
It doesn't look to me as if the scaffolding has been altered in any way. It's as I have always said the scaffold was never erected to protect the building only to stop it falling down and injuring a passer by and ending up with a claim for damages. The new fence demonstrates this, it's sole function is to protect the public, the cost of that could have gone toward some sort of protection from the elements that will be the eventual cause of the demise of this building.

Think the Hidden Spaces project is showing an interest (HS is a joint project involving Associated Architects, Birmingham Post and RIBA West Midlands). Don't know to what purpose yet, but think it's worth keeping a look out for any developments. Viv.

thanks viv...if there is an interest being shown there is no time to lose on this building...fingers crossed

i have deleted the last few posts as the photo i posted earlier was not of the golden lion...thanks for pointing that out phil...i should have read the back of the photo properly before posting..:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I note the company concerned is "Greenspace Leisure". In other words they take a pleasant bit of greenspace and leisurise it into some awful Disneyland charging exorbitant prices. There won't be much greenspace left soon

I see the Birmingham Mail was careful not to include the Golden Lion on their photo looking across the lake from the newly renovated band stand showing the newly renovated MAC.

I see the Birmingham Mail was careful not to include the Golden Lion on their photo looking across the lake from the newly renovated band stand showing the newly renovated MAC.

i wonder why phil....as said many times before bcc hang your heads in shame.

Or maybe because there appears to be a separate project about the building as per my post #128. Viv.

Shameful it is Lyn. And having a crumbling old building marring the view of the sparkly new features - well, they're bound to keep that out of focus.

If the rumblings about the Hidden Spaces project having any plans is true, it's likely to be along lines of other buildings where the public can join viewings of the inside of the buildings, often to less accessible parts of a building. But to do so with The Golden Lion would take much work to make it H&S compliant before public viewings. Or maybe the Hidden Spaces project for the GL will take a different form. Viv.

looking at it first hand viv i would say it is not safe to go inside..well not for the public anyway..must keep an eye on it though..oh i sent another email to the council about 4 weeks ago...to date no reply...

lyn

Looking at the GL on its original site in Deritend, it didn't look in too good a state there either. This photo was of the pub in 1885 . I accept that for a 285 year old building its bound to be showing its age and I expect that some of the materials they transferred to Cannon Hill were not in good shape to start with. They were probably unlikely to stand up too well to removal. But having said that, the Old Crown in Digbeth is nearly as old and still looks in pretty good condition. Viv.

image.jpeg

The thing about these old buildings is that you would be surprised exactly how much of them are not original. Over the years many parts of them would have been rebuilt and in the times before they were listed buildings they may not have been replaced in the original style.

We worked on The Crown for Sapcotes when it was renovated and all the work that was carried out had to be done on the original style and fashion of the original builders.

When we worked on the Warwick Wharf offices in Fazeley Street after the fire, the contractor tried to get away with using pre-formed roof trusses, but he had to take them back off and get them formed and built in situ on the roof.

The thing is none of these safeguards were around at the time that the Golden Lion was transferred to Cannon Hill park and after all they were going to demolish it until The Birmingham Archaeology Society stepped in and saved it at the last moment So there is little doubt in my mind that many of the parts reconstructed in Cannon Hill Park did not date back to 1520 but more likely 1910 when it was reconstructed. Though I have no doubt that they tried their hardest to make it as original as possible, because if all they wanted was a facsimile then it would have been easier a cheaper to build just that.

i noticed someone from hidden spaces at the history fair today so asked if he knew anything about a project re the golden lion..as far as he knows there are none but he is going to email me contact details of someone who maybe having a hand in saving it...so watch this space folks..

lyn

Hi BHF,

I was walking past the sad and sorry Golden Lion in Cannon Hill Park (still such a shame abot it's demise, I've reading the previous articles about it's life since relocation from Digbeth, so sad) and I was wondering if anyone had traced where the pub originally stood on High Street Deritend?
Are there any map images I could look at/some can link me too?

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

All the best

Seb

See these photos on Facebook from Birmingham Hidden Spaces

https://www.facebook.com/HiddenBrum/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1190959090926436

And it has a link to this new website https://www.golden-lion.net/

https://www.hidden-spaces.co.uk/news/golden-lion-project-launche

For the second time in its history the grade II listed Golden Lion is at risk of being lost. Originally built as a Guild-house on the Deritend in the 16th Century, the building was saved from demolition in 1911 by the Birmingham Archaeological society and transported brick-by-brick to its current home in Canon Hill Park.

A structure much-loved by the local community, the building has been slowly deteriorating and is sadly now held up by scaffolding. Re.Future Collective in partnership with the Birmingham and District Allotment Confederation have secured funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to undertake an options appraisal on the building, to regenerate the building through community co- design. And we are going to need your help...

No problem. Thought that there would have been more comments in the last 24 hours since my last post!

Hopefully they will do something good with it, and try to maintain it for the future.

Almost missed your post myself Ell, don't know why. But a very important development. They're looking for "Friends" if anyone's interested. A couple of dates for the diary in August (27 & 28) to start consultation if people want to get involved. They're looking for ideas for sustainable use of the building. Excellent. And good to see a food festival planned for October to raise awareness. All seems to be moving in the right direction.

Viv

thanks ell and viv sorry i completely missed your posts...well this is looking good for the old pub...must say i had written it off...will follow this closely now..

lyn

Me too Lyn. Be interesting to see how it progresses. If anyone gets involved, be nice to hear about it. A great opportunity (and challenging) to get the place back into shape. Viv.

Back