• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eagle And Tun Pub

Great set of pictures and thanks Ell.
Now the gripe to demolish this pub is a crime how can knocking down this pub make sense, we are never going to build anything close to this ever again.
Looking behind the bar I do not see any Castella Cigars or pork scratching.

ye gods ell....all i can say is i really hope that those lovely tiles will be saved and put to good use elsewhere...my kitchen would be a good start...many thanks for your photos they must be kept safe as a reminder of this pub

rob i agree with your sentiments but as a lot of us on this forum are aware of (and not to lessen the worth of the eagle and tun) since the 50s buildings of far more age and historical interest and content have fell foul to the old ball and chain gang...

the powers that be will never learn...we just have to accept that until birmingham as we have known it for hundreds of years is raised to the ground taking its history with it this kind of shameful destruction will never end...i am so very angry made more so because i was told by HS2 bosses that this pub would not be demolished...a lesson learned for me never to trust again what anyone tells me unless i see these promises happen with my own eyes...:mad:

lyn

Thanks Maurice.

More photos in my Flickr album here. Including my old photos.

I've never actually been in there but so very sad it's having to be demolished :sweat:
Lovely, proper old style pub - those beautiful tiles as Astoness said :( I sincerely hope they will be reclaimed for further use by someone

They were supposed to have been open until Wednesday this week then hand the keys over to HS2.

Would have thought this fire in the pool room was safe not to spread, unless it was something else?

Maybe HS2 is not going ahead , and someone wanted to make sure the pub was not reinstated, as that would be awkward

Another Birmingham Mail story. "Man allowed to sleep rough". Also it was open until a few days ago, didn't close on the 4th Jan 2020. As customers didn't want them to close and their licence only ended this week.

well the report says the fire was in a rear ground floor room so sounds like accidental to me....

lyn

Building still standing but there was a small fire earlier today and road etc was cordoned off. Any way to halt hs2 procedures even at this late stage especially if hs2 is halted or rethought. 6bn per annum could be the savings according to Frazer nelson in today's telegraph

I was back in Brum for a few days at the end of January. Took a walk through Digbeth taking in the Eagle and Tun which by then had been closed down. So sad that this storied pub is going to be demolished.

Couldn't Birmingham Council have refused permission and insisted that it be retained within the new station as was originally mooted? Looking at the pub building, the quality of the brickwork detailing around the second story and on the chimney is superb. All to be smashed down by the wrecking ball.

Why can't the powers that be in Birmingham show a little more respect for the city's heritage?

Building still standing but there was a small fire earlier today and road etc was cordoned off. Any way to halt hs2 procedures even at this late stage especially if hs2 is halted or rethought. 6bn per annum could be the savings according to Frazer nelson in today's telegraph
HS2 is on balance a good thing for Birmingham and will certainly rejuvenate this part of the city. The issue here is that a pub with a lot of heritage and with an interesting red brick structure could easily have been retained.

I was back in Brum for a few days at the end of January. Took a walk through Digbeth taking in the Eagle and Tun which by then had been closed down. So sad that this storied pub is going to be demolished.

Couldn't Birmingham Council have refused permission and insisted that it be retained within the new station as was originally mooted? Looking at the pub building, the quality of the brickwork detailing around the second story and on the chimney is superb. All to be smashed down by the wrecking ball.

Why can't the powers that be in Birmingham show a little more respect for the city's heritage?

john that is a question many of us brummies have been asking for donkeys years.. :mad: :mad:

Back