• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eagle And Tun Pub

They were supposed to have been open until Wednesday this week then hand the keys over to HS2.

Would have thought this fire in the pool room was safe not to spread, unless it was something else?

Maybe HS2 is not going ahead , and someone wanted to make sure the pub was not reinstated, as that would be awkward

Another Birmingham Mail story. "Man allowed to sleep rough". Also it was open until a few days ago, didn't close on the 4th Jan 2020. As customers didn't want them to close and their licence only ended this week.

well the report says the fire was in a rear ground floor room so sounds like accidental to me....

lyn

Building still standing but there was a small fire earlier today and road etc was cordoned off. Any way to halt hs2 procedures even at this late stage especially if hs2 is halted or rethought. 6bn per annum could be the savings according to Frazer nelson in today's telegraph

I was back in Brum for a few days at the end of January. Took a walk through Digbeth taking in the Eagle and Tun which by then had been closed down. So sad that this storied pub is going to be demolished.

Couldn't Birmingham Council have refused permission and insisted that it be retained within the new station as was originally mooted? Looking at the pub building, the quality of the brickwork detailing around the second story and on the chimney is superb. All to be smashed down by the wrecking ball.

Why can't the powers that be in Birmingham show a little more respect for the city's heritage?

Building still standing but there was a small fire earlier today and road etc was cordoned off. Any way to halt hs2 procedures even at this late stage especially if hs2 is halted or rethought. 6bn per annum could be the savings according to Frazer nelson in today's telegraph
HS2 is on balance a good thing for Birmingham and will certainly rejuvenate this part of the city. The issue here is that a pub with a lot of heritage and with an interesting red brick structure could easily have been retained.

I was back in Brum for a few days at the end of January. Took a walk through Digbeth taking in the Eagle and Tun which by then had been closed down. So sad that this storied pub is going to be demolished.

Couldn't Birmingham Council have refused permission and insisted that it be retained within the new station as was originally mooted? Looking at the pub building, the quality of the brickwork detailing around the second story and on the chimney is superb. All to be smashed down by the wrecking ball.

Why can't the powers that be in Birmingham show a little more respect for the city's heritage?

john that is a question many of us brummies have been asking for donkeys years.. :mad: :mad:

Some places do a lot more to save their pubs
I have been in this pub several times and took photos in the toilets!! This building stands in a vibrant part of the city close to the colleges and uni plus the Catholic cathedral. Consequently, unlike the land around Curzon Street station which is now required for something else, this building was never at risk at any time. Liverpool has lost some jewels too where redevelopment has taken place. However, they have retained some rather epic buildings. Check out the interior of St. George's Hall which is just across from Lime Street Station : https://www.cultureliverpool.co.uk/event/minton-floor-reveal/

What you say is true, but the Eagle & Tun was also very close to one of the city's universities , pretty close to another , and to the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire .

What you say is true, but the Eagle & Tun was also very close to one of the city's universities , pretty close to another , and to the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire .
Just to clarify my position on this ... I am against HS2 and the removal of the Eagle and Tun. How could I want to see another pub demolished? However, Boris will keep digging!

This gives a snapshot of the Inn in 1849. It describes it as a commercial inn and having an excellent pump of water. So would it have had a well on or near the premises ? Viv.

EBE29C7A-5BAF-4894-9B50-2CE1D2C12ED8.jpeg

thanks viv that is very interesting ...so does the snippet refer to the pub that is there now as it does not look as though its been there since at least 1846 or has it? the snippet says its a very old inn in 1846...very likely there was a well somewhere near...be surprised how many birmingham had dotted around..

lyn

Last edited:
There was a pub from at least 1839, as seen by these cuttings. Also several sales of land previous to this on the corner of the two streets, in one of which is mentioned a malthouse, which would be convenient for a nearby pub

Aris birm Gaz..25.7.1825.jpgAris Birm Gaz.1.7.1833.jpgaris Birm gaz.3.11.1828.jpgAris Birm Gazette.12.3.1843.jpgAris Birm Gazette.23.9.1839.jpg

Got this photo of the gents at the Eagle & Tun last month.

Yuk, looks 'orrible ... but thanks for posting. Check out the "Caution, Cleaning in Progress" sign. It would take an army of cleaners working around the clock to sort that place out! In fact, it would take a while just to clean the "Cleaning in Progress" sign itself. And eerrgh, what's with the spent tissue lying on the surface?

Here's my top tip folks ... if you visit a place with the intention to eat, have a look at the yard or back and go in the toilets. If either are looking ropey then do not under any circumstances eat at that establishment. It is not easy to access the service area in some cases and you may have to look over a fence or whatever. However, the state of the yard will give you a very good indicator of how the place is being run and the standards of hygiene being set. You would be surprised to find that many places that look OK from the front are actually filthy inside. I have quite a lot of experience in the food industry and, believe me, you wouldn't credit the low standards in some places. I cannot print the names of well-known pubs here as I would risk being sued but I have seen the very worst of filth in the kitchens.

thanks viv that is very interesting ...so does the snippet refer to the pub that is there now as it does not look as though its been there since at least 1846 or has it? the snippet says its a very old inn in 1846...very likely there was a well somewhere near...be surprised how many birmingham had dotted around..

lyn

I have some notes on this place somewhere. Off the top of my head I cannot remember the date but it is a rebuild, probably late 1890s.

Back