• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eagle And Tun Pub

Hands up time! That the reason why myself and a business partner tried to buy the pub and lost out at auction. If we could have got it at the price we set we knew a CPO would come in eventually and provide a much better return than any bank account would have!

Following a couple of pints at the Woodman down the road I dropped into the Eagle and Tun a couple of years ago. This was during a visit back to Birmingham when I decided to revisit few of my old haunts. I used both of these pubs during the mid seventies as I worked nearby. The landlord of the Eagle and Tun on my last visit was a very friendly Indian man and the beer was good as well. He gave me a free pint when I told him that I hadn't been in there for over forty years. Very sad to see it going and sad for me that I won't have a chance to pop in before it closes. At least The Woodman is surviving, I think...

Slowly but surely we are losing our soul one pub or one old building at a time, one day we will wake up and say what the hell happened for some that may have already come to pass.
I could go on a rant here but I know I am preaching to the choir.
We will never have pubs like the Eagle again, sure we can build one just like it but we can not build the soul of the pub we can not build the wear on the bar we can not build the smell the feel of the place, we are fighting a losing battle i'm afraid, my advise go to as many old pubs you can have a drink or two and take a photo.

Graham Young article in the Birmingham Mail quoting Astoness!

thanks for the link to that birmingham mail report ell...had i known that my post was going to be quoted in it i would have said something a bit stronger...its another tragic loss for birmingham and one of its famous pubs...perhaps people will now start to believe that nothing is safe if its in the path of HS2...its not just historical buildings that up and down the country are losing..its also peoples homes..businesses...ancient woodland..burial grounds being dug up and bodies removed from their final resting places (this has happened with our own park st burial ground).this project is a force that can not be reckoned with...how right brian travers was to say that birmingham will soon have no past...we have been saying that on this forum for years

graham if you read this post and you ever do another write up on this subject you are quite welcome to quote my latest post...and as proof of HS2 telling me that this pub was to be retained here is a snippet of the plans they gave me

HS2 PLANS.png

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
its a great idea jan and one that could have also saved the fox and grapes but i think its too late in the day now to try and get funding to rebuild the eagle and tun at the black country living museum...i shall follow this idea with interest and hope that someone can help this happen

lyn

thanks for the link to that birmingham mail report ell...had i known that my post was going to be quoted in it i would have said something a bit stronger...its another tragic loss for birmingham and one of its famous pubs...perhaps people will now start to believe that nothing is safe if its in the path of HS2...its not just historical buildings that up and down the country are losing..its also peoples homes..businesses...ancient woodland..burial grounds being dug up and bodies removed from their final resting places (this has happened with our own park st burial ground).this project is a force that can not be reckoned with...how right brian travers was to say that birmingham will soon have no past...we have been saying that on this forum for years

graham if you read this post and you ever do another write up on this subject you are quite welcome to quote my latest post...and as proof of HS2 telling me that this pub was to be retained here is a snippet of the plans they gave me

View attachment 139739

all the best

lyn

No problem Lyn. Has Graham been back on here since do you know?

Don't have time at the moment to go back to Eastside to check it out again.

I think a UB40 article said there idea is to move it brick bt brick to the Black Country Living Museum. But they don't have the money themselves!

hi ell graham was online yesterday so has not yet seen the last few posts on this thread made today

as said in last post i think its too late now to find the money to bring the pub to the black country museum but who knows..

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:

I read the article but it I could not find any agreement that the Black Country Museum would take it, even if the money could be found.

ahh i see pedro...well i cant speak for the black country museum but at the moment they are busy undergoing a massive new project to bring in a lot more of their own at risk buildings and rebuilding them at the museum so i doubt they would be interested in birminghams buildings..shame that the powers that be here could not have had the same idea when they had the chance

lyn

Well now I am upset this HS 2 deal may not be the best what I thought was the loss of a great old pub has turned into sad news budget over runs completion dates pushed way into the future.
Lies being told to a forum member when the money to Sava a pub is so small in the grand scheme of things.

Wouldn't having the pub inside the new station be cool a real shame.
I could have a pint before going to Crewe at 250 MPH on a train ? If I can afford a ticket in 2040

Last edited by a moderator:
I took this photo on Boxing Day of the Eagle & Tun from Banbury Street near New Canal Street.

Was also a hole in the window.

Noticed a lot of HS2 demolition sites all around.

Hope this is saved.

It reopened in 2016.

It was like this during March 2016.

The car park behind is now hoarded off.

According to Tripadvisor it was open until at least last month. But sadly it gets terrible reviews. Viv.

Back