• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eagle And Tun Pub

In 2014 the pub was reported as being part of the Curzon Street Station development. Is this still the case ? Viv.

viv i did not realise that this pub was boarded up...was meant to be safe from demo re HS2 coming through...now i am not convinced so yes its one to keep any eye on as we are told one thing then it all changes:rolleyes:

lyn

Lyn it’s a Streetview photo. Don’t know if it’s still boarded up, but I suspect it is. Be nice to know if it’s still part of the station development. Viv.

yes viv i agree..when i have time i can put some feelers out and report back unless others may know whats happening to this pub

lyn

It was reopened 2016. As i said on another thread, on monday of last week (after visit to proof house) I asked the barman if he knew what was happening, and he said he had not heard anything

It was reopened 2016. As i said on another thread, on monday of last week (after visit to proof house) I asked the barman if he knew what was happening, and he said he had not heard anything

cheers mike

lyn

Glad to hear it’s open Mike, thanks. Slight concern that it’s not clear (and not generally public knowledge) about its future. So definitely one to keep an eye on in general and specifically in relation to Curzon Street Station development. At least if the pub’s occupied and trading it’s less vulnerable.

Think the conclusion of the Fox & Grapes experience makes us slightly nervous. Viv.

Think the conclusion of the Fox & Grapes experience makes us slightly nervous. Viv.

i think quite rightly too viv

lyn

A more recent view of the re-opened pub. I also know you can't believe everything but the 2016 plans have the "Eagle and Tun to be incorporated into the station" on them - see attached.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-21_19-15-29.png
    upload_2018-9-21_19-15-29.png
    547.7 KB · Views: 22
  • upload_2018-9-21_19-20-12.png
    upload_2018-9-21_19-20-12.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 26
Photo of the Eagle & Tun in 2016 after it reopened.

This was in 2010 when it was boarded up and derelict. Building to the left was later demolished.

thats it jan that is what i was told about 5 years ago and as said earlier i was told they may have to take the roof off the pub..i am even more confused now especially as at least staff at the pub dont seem to know anything..oh well what will be will be as they say...thanks jan

lyn

thanks for that info jan..not for me but it maybe of interest to some forum members

lyn

Owned by the same guy who runs the off licence formerly the White Horse Cellars on Constitution Hill. He outbid me at auction for the pub a couple of years ago!

Hi Lynn as i seen the news and spotted the pub still standing and thinking back afew years on the BHF I thought its a listed grade one or two listed building and remembering it was closed for years then the owens family openened it up as it as character inside with green tiling granduer dezign inside its been there much as the station was there i recall it as a kid walking the family dog moms house and coffee business was at the other end of the street she was born in 1926 so surly it could be benifits to the future history with the curzon street building it must add charactor to the station i can under stand if they knock down the spotted dog and those others it will be intresting to find out which way that train is going to come through best wishes Alan Astonian;;;

My understanding is that the pub has been made subject of a compulsory purchase order, and it is planned to incorporate it withing the HS2 station concourse, as shown on the attached artist's impression of New Canal Street straddled by the new station roof. This also shows the historic Curson St Station, which will be a visitor centre for the HS2 terminal, and in the distance The Woodman Pub.HS2 station incl Eagle & Tun.jpg

hello greg and thank you for confirming what i was told 5 years ago by HS2 bosses...as i reported at the time there was talk that they may take the roof off the eagle and tun to incorporate it but i really hope not although looking at that pic it looks like it may become a flat roof...

cheers

lyn

very sad news graham but not surprised ..i used to attend the HS2 meetings about 8 years ago in a vain attempt to plead for the fox and grapes to be retained...when pressing HS2 bosses about the eagle and tun they told me that they may have to take the roof off t it to accommodate the new station but the pub would remain so i let members on here know...never believed them of course and this latest news proves i was right not to trust them....so another old building and another piece of brum history will bite the dust...tragic but thank you for letting us know and welcome to the forum...i will hunt my files for any old photos of the pub for you..oh you are of course at liberty to post your email address on open forum but we do advise not to as you leave yourself open to spammers and hackers..you can edit your post and remove it or i can do it for you or as i said you can leave it visible as i am sure our members will rally round looking for old photos

lyn :mad:

Back