• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

yard in benacre st highgate..dated 1965

image.jpeg

women mangling in court no 12 cecil st..1930s

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
love post 29 the third photograph with the small child holding the Dolly used for bashing the washing, it must have been heavier than she was

I might sort out a couple of photo's taken the 1940s of our yard in Curzon Street, but I don't know how post them!!! help!!!

hi st.evenlucy i like that pics as well..its amazing how things like a dolly could keep children happy...if you were here i could easily show you how to post pics but im not that good at explaining it will send you a private message with instructions that hopefully will help...

lyn

yard in benacre st highgate..dated 1965

Hi Astoness, you have some great photos ! Do you have the originals ?

My 2nd Great Grandfather lived in Benacre Ter 1 (Terrace?) in 1881. I didn't know this was in Highgate.

Simply great photos Lyn, so atmospheric, and showing the stark nature of how we did live in Brum, in the past, just hope no one hacks em!!.
paul

smashing pics bernie....keep em coming
paul dont worry the photos are well protected now...

hi maris..no i dont have the originals...will try and get a couple on later taken in our nans back yard...

lyn

My granparents lived in Allison Street and Milk Street I also had family in New Canal Street and Rea Street Frothy

Such atmospheric photos Lynn, especially the one of Hospital Street, I had lots of rels living in this street and also the surrounding area at the beginning of the 1900s, thank-you so much for posting them, Astonite.

Picture1 143.jpgAlthough I lived in Ford Street we could walk up the back yard which lead to a larger yard which would take you through to Park Road. This one is taken in the large Yard.

Pics are in Lyns (Astoness's) Private Photobucket Library so not accessible

3 of my own yard pics here...back of 12 paddington st where i was born in our nans house...when i look at these pics the years just seem to melt away..i remember it so well...

our mom...

Image lost

our dad playing darts...the shared toilets behind him and the brewhouse further up by the mangle..
Image lost

how many son in laws would be this brave today never mind in the early 50s lol...

Image lost

Last edited by a moderator:
Back