• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

wonderful photo terry...do hope other members will post their back yard or courtyard family pics..where was that taken terry...
talking about coal our mom used to send one of us kids out the back to count the bags of coal that was being delivered and make sure it was correct... lol

lyn

Last edited:
This photo of Chelmorton Road, Great Barr was sent to me by a distant cousin now in the US. The family name is Power.

292C_Chelmorton_Road.jpg

smashing photo wend..a typical scene..thanks for sharing it with us...ive got one or two to post of my own..will be back later when ive finished the painting...

lyn

What a great thread you started Lyn. The pics are fantastic, and its great that other members are joining in with their own pics. Well done again Lyn.

keep your yard and courtyard pics coming folks...love looking at them..here are a few more i have...one or two may have been posted before on other threads like this first one of num 1 court thomas st circa 1882 soon to be demolished for the cutting of corporation st..

image.jpeg

children playing in a yard in brum..no location dated 8th aug 1956

image.jpeg

playing near the brew house court no 10 back of 42/45 cecil st..

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
rear of 1 to 7 princes row cardigan st..dated 1964..looks like the milkman delivering in this one..

image.jpeg

yard in ladywood..dated 1968

image.jpeg

yard in hospital st...1920s

image.jpeg

yard in benacre st highgate..dated 1965

image.jpeg

women mangling in court no 12 cecil st..1930s

image.jpeg

love post 29 the third photograph with the small child holding the Dolly used for bashing the washing, it must have been heavier than she was

I might sort out a couple of photo's taken the 1940s of our yard in Curzon Street, but I don't know how post them!!! help!!!

hi st.evenlucy i like that pics as well..its amazing how things like a dolly could keep children happy...if you were here i could easily show you how to post pics but im not that good at explaining it will send you a private message with instructions that hopefully will help...

lyn

yard in benacre st highgate..dated 1965

Hi Astoness, you have some great photos ! Do you have the originals ?

My 2nd Great Grandfather lived in Benacre Ter 1 (Terrace?) in 1881. I didn't know this was in Highgate.

Simply great photos Lyn, so atmospheric, and showing the stark nature of how we did live in Brum, in the past, just hope no one hacks em!!.
paul

Back