• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

John st became part of Newton St. In the map below from c1890 the part that was john st is marked in grey-blue

map_c_1890_showing_part_of_newton_st_that_earlier_was_John_St.jpg

Hi Berniew,

Is the photo of John Street in Lozells, because my relatives ran The Sportsman Inn, I am unable to find any photos of the pub or the street before demolition. Cath

stevencath...my neck o the woods ...and ive just realised that we have already talked about this on the john st lozells thread...still no luck with finding a photo of the sportsman but will keep looking for you but as i said before most of the houses in john st are still very much there..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn
Thanks for your reply, I have a few photos of the street recently but still hunting for older ones & the Sportsman just waiting for the library to open to see if I can find any info, photos or old newspaper articles.
Cath

In 1851 my 3rd Great Grandfather lived at No 3 House No 31 Livery Street and I was wondering if anyone has seen any photos of Livery Street ? Also does anyone know whereabouts this house would have been ?

Are you sure it was no 2 Non 31 Livery St (which probably means no 3 back 31 livery st), or no 3 court 31 Livery St? there would be a great difference as to where it was.

Are you sure it was no 2 Non 31 Livery St (which probably means no 3 back 31 livery st), or no 3 court 31 Livery St? there would be a great difference as to where it was.

Hmm, not sure, below is the address, it enlarges if you click on it.

livery_st.JPG

From then 1855 directory Court 31 must have been between Northwood St & Cox st on the western side of Livery St. Below is a map c 1889, by which time I think the area had altered somewhat. There are courts 29 & 30 marked , but looking at the much smaller scale earlier maps that are available, i think a lot had been rebuilt between 1850 and 1889. this is the best I can do i'm afraid

map_c1889__Livery_st_between_northwood___Cox_St.jpg

Hi Maris I have put a pic of Livery Street on the old street pics but its 1939 far too late for the period your looking for sorry have no early ones but someone else might

Hello, does anyone know of or have pictures of Russell square, Angelina street please.
Thanks.
Charlie

peter & Gang048.jpgThis is our back yard of 5 back of 81 Wellesley Street I'm on the right of my Dog Toby a collie cross I think the lad behind me was called Guthridge the year was about 1954/5 my school was on Farm Street. Regards Pete

what a delightful photo pete you are so lucky to have it....thanks for sharing it with us all

lyn

No Probs only wish I had more but back in the day money was hard to come bye ,Which has just bought back a memory of me and a friend called Williams from Wheeler Street used to go up town with our trolly's 4 wheels and a plank and collect the old tomato box's etc up the bullring bring them home and chop up into fire wood and sell it to make a few bob.. Kids today an't got a clue ... But it was a great life would not have changed a thing in my up bringing !!!!!!! With Regards Lyn Pete

No Probs only wish I had more but back in the day money was hard to come bye ,Which has just bought back a memory of me and a friend called Williams from Wheeler Street used to go up town with our trolly's 4 wheels and a plank and collect the old tomato box's etc up the bullring bring them home and chop up into fire wood and sell it to make a few bob.. Kids today an't got a clue ... But it was a great life would not have changed a thing in my up bringing !!!!!!! With Regards Lyn Pete

pete i totally agree with you...we may not have much and we had to make do and mend but i would not change a thing...

lyn

This is our back yard of 5 back of 81 Wellesley Street I'm on the right of my Dog Toby a collie cross I think the lad behind me was called Guthridge the year was about 1954/5 my school was on Farm Street. Regards Pete
Lovely photo Pete, like you say we didn't take many photos back then with the price of film and developing, so the few we have are treasures.

oldmohawk

Hi all I don't know if ive posted this photo on the forum before, but i think this is just about the time and place for it. I agreethe gang.jpg times were hard in the 40's and 50's but like Pete and lyn i would not change a thing.

Love the photo podgery, especially the cowboy, we were always playing "Cowboys and Indians" as a lad, 'Hay Mills', is another place in Birmingham that I never really knew where it was exactly. Paul

Lovely photo Pete, like you say we didn't take many photos back then with the price of film and developing, so the few we have are treasures.

oldmohawk

But the price of film and developing made these items of great value to us, much more than a computer photo does now to younger people at least. To tear up or dispose of a photo was a criminal act in our family unless of course the photo ended up of course just of the sun or turned out a blank. You were ripping up the effort the chemist made in his dark room to hopefully make the best image for you!

Hay Mills runs along the Coventry Road from round about the River Cole up towards the Swan Island. Not certain of the exact boundaries.

Back