• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

OK I am slow on the uptake but feel it is more likely that the hoops are waht remains after the barrel staves had been burnt on the fire and were just waiting until there were enough to take to the scrap yard.
I walked so many of these yards as a small boy with my father carrying bagas of coal on his back. The smoggy background, the coal cellars, entries, pailing fences and the most beautiful people you could ever wish to meet. Thank you so much for sharing memories not hidden very deep as I found out today. David Weaver, Australia.

mikejee
sorry didnt reply to thank you for map it as been a great help to my grandaughter for her shool product
josie

hello all

What a great thread this is. I am trying to write about Birmingham in the Great War and instead I have spent the last two hours looking at all these pictures.

I have put on a picture of my Gran and Granddad's wedding which took place in 1921. She was Elizabeth Pledger and he was Isaac Carter. They were both living in Armoury Road, Small Heath.

Have not got a clue where this picture was taken.

Regards

Terry

Attachments

• Wedding0001.jpg
    Wedding0001.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 139
Thanks for that.

Just had a quick look at my family tree. The date was 14 May 1921 and they got married at Christchurch, Sparkbrook. My grandpa Isaac had served in the OX & Bucks Light Infantry in WW1. My nan's brother Albert F Pledger is on my nan's right. He spent the war years in the Merchant Navy hence the sun tan. My great grandmother, Lizzie Hanman is the stern looking lady with the dog on her lap. He husband had died and the lodger or her partner as we say nowadays, William Quick, is the guy with the moustache

Terry

It might be. I have just downloaded this picture

Attachments

• 1024px-Waverley_Road_School_Birmingham.jpg
    1024px-Waverley_Road_School_Birmingham.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 96
wonderful photo terry and so clear for its year...i thought it looked like a school in the background..

lyn

granddad and john thomas 001.jpg Not a court photo but one of my grandad william henry buckerfield and his son john thomas possibly at 1 bk87 scholefield street nechells , john thomas died fairly young at 25 grandad looks a proud man his wife mary ann died in 1917 and his last daughter lilian died aged 2 from complications brought on by drinking caustic soda that he had brought home for cleaning purposes in 1918 he must have lived with the guilt for the rest of his life.
phil

smashing photo phil...you can certainly see the likeness between henry and son john...how tragic for him to lose his wife in 1917 and then his little daughter the year after....he was probably struggling to look after her any other children after his wife died or as in lots of cases he got neighbours to mind the children while he went out to work because as you know in those days it was no work no money...

lyn

Just had a lovely time trolling through the whole 33 pages of this thread. Many of my ancestors lived in Courts - Communications Row, Barn Street, Upper Trinity Street and William Street - I have now been able to put some flesh on the bones of my family history. Grateful thanks to you all ! Annie

Just had a lovely time trolling through the whole 33 pages of this thread. Many of my ancestors lived in Courts - Communications Row, Barn Street, Upper Trinity Street and William Street - I have now been able to put some flesh on the bones of my family history. Grateful thanks to you all ! Annie

hi annie this is the reason i started this thread so that we have a better understanding of how the courts and yards looked back in the day..glad you have enjoyed it and if memory serves me right there should be one or two of william st. courts .having said that it depends on which william st your rellies lived at...will try and post some more when i have the time..

lyn

Hello Lyn, Just adding info to my family history files. It`s William Street, Deritend. Another address given on more than one certificate is Back Sportsman, Moseley Street - sounds like a pub and I think Moseley Street would also be in Deritend. Thoroughly enjoying myself today. Annie

Thanks for that Lyn. I had spotted Court 7 William Street - Mine were at Court 5 - Couldn`t get much closer than that. I will take a look at the Old Street Pics thread - over a 100 pages ! Again, thank you. Annie

Hi Lyn, You are just brilliant, the Picture of No 6 Court Bagot Street, Aston is where my Mother was born and lived for a while, Thank you for that.
Brookieboy

Re: Courtyards and yards of brum (Help Identify this Courtyard/Alleyway)

Can anyone help to identify this Courtyard/Alleyway.

The 2 pictures are of the same location but are taken from either end of the Courtyard/Alleyway.

Note - In the pictures that the houses have Bay Windows which looking through the previous posts very few locations have and opposite are some Metal railings on top of low walls.

Alleyway (1).jpgAlleyway (2).jpg

Hi Lyn, You are just brilliant, the Picture of No 6 Court Bagot Street, Aston is where my Mother was born and lived for a while, Thank you for that.
Brookieboy

wonderful norman....happy to help you with your family history

lyn

Hi,I did ask Ages ago if anyone had a photo of Claybrook St where my mother was born just hoping someone may have missed my post and can find one for me as I am writing the family history.

Big problem is Two (#508), they look like any of the hundreds of alley ways/courtyards in Birmingham, though they look familiar, could be Ladywood!!!.paul

Back