• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Berniew
The version I have of it says Park st 1905, new vale court. This can be seen next to the railway on c 1889 map below, and would now be under Moor stn station. It looks like a better title would be back of New Vale court. Perhaps the front view is a bit less grim

map_c_1889_showing_Park_St___new_vale_court.jpg

Your right Mike it's written on the wall in paint or chalk new vale park court 5 , front or back still looks grim

Hay Mills runs along the Coventry Road from round about the River Cole up towards the Swan Island. Not certain of the exact boundaries.
Yes, basically from about the Asda at Small Heath island up to about the Old Bill and Bull where you come into South Yardley, that's East to West.
North to South it's bounded by Tyesley to the south and Yardley to the north. Just a thin corridor really. Not the best of Brum suburbs but not the worst either.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=ha...s,+West+Midlands,+United+Kingdom&z=15&iwloc=A

sorry ive been out all day so i have only just seen this. Brumgum as got it smack on with the Hay Mills boundries. it is just a small place, with a very close community. Thats how i remeber it any way.
Is anyone going to tell me where hay mills is???????????????????//paul

Just noticing the woman in the first doorway in George St, Balsall Heath. It looks like she's pointing at the photographer and talking to someone off picture. I can just imagine her saying "Aye Bill, what's this bloody fella doing with that camera."

Lyn? Thank you for the pics...I have to say that here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, that according to my husband, we had similar neighbourhoods during the same time frame and still to this day. Thanks for your input ! Regards Maggie

It's a bit like the BBC Carol a lot of repeats but thanks a lot I also enjoy your input Bernie

Last edited:
Bernie, a million thanks for that photo of Pope Street, all my family lived there and that's the first time I've seen a photo from that era.
Charlie

Bernie, a million thanks for that photo of Pope Street, all my family lived there and that's the first time I've seen a photo from that era.
Charlie

...and some of mine Charlie..Henry Aston and his wife Kate...nos 88 and 95 Pope Street...never seen any pics of Pope Street before either...great stuff Bernie...keep 'em coming...please...

Not too far away from my lot then Dennis:
In 1901 my maternal great grandparents (Poolton) lived 8 back of 89 so neighbours to your Astons.
My paternal family were at 7 back of 5 and 2 back of 16 in 1891 and 1901.
I was so thrilled to see a photo at last of what it looked like at the time.

Brilliant thread.noticed loads of places that crop up in my family.
The colour photos are very odd to see, makes it seem more real.

Back