• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

Big problem is Two (#508), they look like any of the hundreds of alley ways/courtyards in Birmingham, though they look familiar, could be Ladywood!!!.paul

Thanks for looking - I was hoping that with the wealth of knowledge on the forum and the Bay Windows & Railings opposite, it may strike a memory chord with someone.

Post 74 # seems about the closest in style Two and that's Summer Lane doesn't prove anything but I think that they are around the turn of the century

Lovely photos Bernie, thanks. I had rellies living in both William Street and Communication Row in the 19c.
Communication Row is still there of course, with the wall to the railway on one side and the back of the Broad Street shops/clubs on the other. William Street is also there but is now new housing and small factories. The housing didn't look too bad in the old photos, did it? A lot better than some of the back-to-backs at the time.

They are around the turn of the century Charlie and the housing looks really good for that period , I have just been looking around to try to find something similar to Two's mystery photo but it's almost impossible unless you're very lucky

Hi Carol I have a couple of not very good ones of Fordrough Lane off Bordesley Green and I think I have one of the Fordrough where St Cyprians Church is Hay Mills by Asda . I can't place a Fordrough Street do you know which area it was in Bernie

I have ancestors in Fordrough Street, I think was near to Birmingham centre, close to Old Wharf.
rosie.

Hi Berniew,

Is the photo of John Street in Lozells, because my relatives ran The Sportsman Inn, I am unable to find any photos of the pub or the street before demolition. Cath

My Irish 2 x gt.grandfather, Michael Gilmartin, was living in John Street when he was 15 years old. It was between Dale End and Lichfield Street, near to London Prentice Street, which became Dalton Street.

Judy

Back