• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Courtyards and yards of brum

yard in digbeth..circa 1910...ive looked closely and on the right it looks like there is a pile of the steel bands that were around the large barrels...could be they made them here...

img602.jpg

court no 7 william st..circa..1905

img601.jpg

OK I am slow on the uptake but feel it is more likely that the hoops are waht remains after the barrel staves had been burnt on the fire and were just waiting until there were enough to take to the scrap yard.

hi bernie
what was the story behind that one for what looks like a shop was it vandells or just rioting
or did the bored kids do it ;
i like the one previuosly and whe i seen the wicker basket it remined me of the old days when the hawker came around on sunday afternoons
up the terraces of Aston just after the war years shouting and calling out penny winks for sale ;
one penny a pint he used to push the basket just identicaly the same as soon as our old man heard him he would shout to one of us go out and get
Two pennies worth and told mother get those pin out us kids was always desperate to get our hands first on her pinnie apron
the guy would dig is pint beer pot into the basket and one of us would be excited and run back up to the house with the juggs
but i will tell you bernie i would not touch thous winkles today beleive me ; eh;
best wishes bernie ;Astonian;

It's an old pub Astorian the caption is about the stones which the paveing is made from the title is Last of the Petrifted Kidneys which was the name given to the stones
Bernie

HI BERNIE
Thank you for coming back i was abit slow to notice the stones i was concertating on the building with smashed windows
and see the kids i thought they was looking at the buildig but looking closer now i noticed the stone pathe i do not surpose and a silly question
was there any name to this pub we called it pebble dashed unusal for a pathe i thought i do not think i ever seen one around in toddlers days
best wishes Astonian;;

Hi Alan there's no mention of a name but the pics really about the paving stones known as petrified kidneys I should think the pub was demolished before the 2oth century
Bernie

Off track but there are paths like that still in Lytham St Anne`s, walked on one last week.

Hi both hrer's all the info that was with the pic I assume this was one of the last examples of this type of paveing you will need a Kelly's look up for the pub
The last of the petrified kidneys in the streets of Birmingham (1899)

Children posing for the camera at the corner of Birmingham’s Livery and Water Streets. Notice that the windows of the inn have been smashed and the floor is covered with litter. Round pebbles known as ‘petrified kidneys’ have been used to pave the foot-path.

Location: "The last of the petrified kidneys in the streets of Birmingham" (1899) The Birmingham Magazine of Arts and Industries Vol. II (No.3). Archives and Heritage LBF08.2

Hi both hrer's all the info that was with the pic I assume this was one of the last examples of this type of paveing you will need a Kelly's look up for the pub
The last of the petrified kidneys in the streets of Birmingham (1899)

Children posing for the camera at the corner of Birmingham’s Livery and Water Streets. Notice that the windows of the inn have been smashed and the floor is covered with litter. Round pebbles known as ‘petrified kidneys’ have been used to pave the foot-path.

Location: "The last of the petrified kidneys in the streets of Birmingham" (1899) The Birmingham Magazine of Arts and Industries Vol. II (No.3). Archives and Heritage LBF08.2
There's a round pebble road in front of the Old St Margaret's Church in Ward End.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/svpw...FQ&cbp=12,84.31,,0,0&output=embed&hl=en&gl=uk

Loved Berniew photo of Curzon Street Court 8. any idea what year it was taken ? I lived at 8 back of 28 Curzon street in the 40s and 50s but can't remember "our Yard " being quite like this.

Hi Brumgum they do look the same it looks as though the paveing might date back to the mid 1800s Hi St.evenlucy no date unfortunatly but here's the info with the pic
[h=3]Number 8 Court Curzon Street[/h]
Number 8 Court Curzon Street. Taken by Birmingham Corporation.

Thanks Berniew, it's just that our old back to back houses in Curzon street were so old, I can't imagine that ther were older houses built before our's were there. I hope some old neighbours from Curzon Street or Belmont Row see this picture and recognise it . I wil be going to the Heartlands History Society on Wednesday, maybe some of the members will see your picture.
Hope so.

Curzon Streetmap 1847.jpg
Hi St.evencath here's an 1847 map of Curzon Street and surrounds don't know if you recognise any of it or where your house was courtesy raikways collection LOB

Below is a map c 1890, which shows court 8 cirzonn st in green, and back 28 (I hope) in purple. It is not surprisong that you do not recognise court 8, unless you are the oldest man alive, as the c 1902 map shows just the end house remaining.

map_c_1890_showing_court_8_and_back_no_28.jpg

Although I was born in S Yardley accident of timing I lived in Wolvehampton and only remember visiting the Bull Ring Fish and Rag markets when Mom visited her family. I am researching her life in Birmingham for our family geaneology and have found his site such a wealth of information and it has given me a much deeper insight into her life. I am amazed at how you manage to identify places in pictures with little to go on. Keep up the great work.

mikejee love the old maps they give you a idea of where your family lived in the back to back houses in the 1800/ 1900
would like to see map of no 26 bartholomew street 1900 if you can help
josie

thanks again Berniew,in post 466 where the " DETACHED ? ) house is standing, must be where our back to back houses were built. when I pass there now, I can't believe how many homes were from the canal bridge down to the corner of Belmont Row/ Lawley Street. When we played in "our yard" the canal was to the left. My family lived in the Italian Quarter in Duddeston Row right down to Erskine street and Vauxhall Road, Happy memories, in fact when we were moved during the "slum cleance" we went to Northfield for 2 years, couldn't settle and moved back to Nechells or Vauxhall as we knew it.

My Mom was born in Milk Street, if you have been to The Back to Backs in Hurst street, Mom is talking about the old day's and Pawn shops.
Carl Chinn has done an article on her and another one on her family. she is 92 now and loves talking about the old day's

My Mom is 92 and she was born in Milk Street. if you have been to the Back to Backs in Hurst Street , you can hear her talking about The Pawn shop. Even now she loves talking about "the old day's" I agree the housing round there was poor, but most people have lovely memories of living there., and I know we wouldn't like to go back to miskins and outside lavvies, but we were all the same then.

My nan lived at 44 Milk Street until she died c1960 her name was Alicia Wright there were 11 kidsyour mom may have known some of them

My Mom is 92 and she was born in Milk Street. if you have been to the Back to Backs in Hurst Street , you can hear her talking about The Pawn shop. Even now she loves talking about "the old day's" I agree the housing round there was poor, but most people have lovely memories of living there., and I know we wouldn't like to go back to miskins and outside lavvies, but we were all the same then.

My Dad lived in River Street before Lawrence Street evenlucy, anyway his famous saying is "We had nothing then but had everything and today we have everything but have nothing!"

Mom's name was Madeline Alberici then. Her Aunt also lived in Milk Street Christina Green. . By the way Pete your Dad sounds like a true Brummie , he has a way with words.

thank you mikejee
hope you dont mind me asking for your help again have you any chance got a map of stoke street no 4 court 4 house
i am doing a folder of old street maps for my grandaughter showing her where her relatives lived in 1800/1900 for a school product
thank you for your help josie
mainly i am looking for 115 tennent street
36 holiday street
12 tonk street ( i believe it is now called hill street )
15 court suffolk street
if you could help with ant of those street i would be gratful josie

Josie
Court 4 Stoke st is in red. not certain what numbering in court was.
The numbering changed in Holliday st, so you will have to tell me when they were there.
Tonk St was the portion of hill st between smallbrook St and New Inkneys (which was approxinmately to Station st). No 12 was on the east side between station st & Hinkley st, and would have been close to/at the hinkley st corner. No map with detail is available, as all the buildings had been demolished in that bit of hill st by the time of the c1889 OS map.
Court 15 Suffolk St is shown on c1890 map in blue/purple. It has disappeared under the Midland railway yard by the c1908 map

map_c_1913_showing_court_4_Stoke_St.jpg

map__A_c_1890_showing_court_15_suffolk_st.jpg

Back