• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Courtyards and yards of brum

fame at last LynI've just spent half an hour searching the e papers site on Newtown Lyn most turned out to be Phylis Nicklin and some were yours ,

bernie the pic on post 389 i think is of st georges place which backed onto the school...

lyn

Last edited:
fame at last LynI've just spent half an hour searching the e papers site on Newtown Lyn most turned out to be Phylis Nicklin and some were yours ,

crikey bernie..although i dont look at the e papers as i dont know what they are lol i am honoured to have my name even mentioned along side the great phylis nicklin.... she was a fine photographer who ive long admired..

lyn

He was there too Lyn and Bill Dargue Trouble is they are great pics and it's not till later you realise who's they are by which time you've downloaded them

Hi Lyn, and all, a few more pic of our old yard

img093.jpg A view from the boundary wall looking towards Long Acre.

img097.jpg A View from the middle of the yard looking towards the boundary wall.

img091.jpg Looking left from the doorstep of number 3 back of 62 Malvern hill road.

img101.jpg The View a head from the doorstep.

Malvern hill rd and yard 1971.jpg Part of Malvern hill road taken from the corner of Long Acre (my first car with L plates on.. lol. )

Lyn the only reason I had these photos is because I was trying out an old camera that my dad was given by a work mate.

the yard was once all blue bricks before the council replaced them with slabs and small gardens in 1960/61.

Pud

oh wow pud you really are so very lucky to have these photos because once our old houses are gone they are gone forever..yes we have our memories which no one can take away from us but to have pics to go with them is just wonderful...i bet you are glad now that you tried out that old camera that did if i may say an excellent job..many thanks for sharing them with us all..

lyn

Here is the last of them all I have

img095.jpg The door of our old house, notice the name stone above.

img096.jpg Taken from the middle of the entry.

img103.jpg The Rent book/card for the house.

img088.jpg View form the street my grandmothers house at the front.

Malvern hill rd to Long Acre 1971.jpg Looking down the road towards Long Acre (you can just see part of the new building on Long Acre that is there today)

thats my lot folks, I found out the camera had a fault that is why there is a white spot on the right side of the photos, it had a pinhole in the bellows.

Pud.

wonderful pud..love the rent card...dont worry about the pin hole the photos are fantastic...

lyn

Betty Burden was the subject name for a photo-journalist study of life in five years' after post-War Birmingham by the celebrated photographer Bert Hardy, a selection of his most famous shots form an exhibition on right now in London at The Photographer's Gallery.

Here's Betty 'going shopping'. The exact location not listed in the portfolio

https://www.corbisimages.com/stock-...055956/friends-walking-home-from-work?popup=1

Since this posting recently, I've been doing a lot of page-turning and find that the original publishing of the Betty Burden feature came in the publication 'Picture Post' dated 13 Jan 1951. I've seen the article too by way of access to our Higher Education facilities this end of the Black Country.

One should be able to access the journal when the new library opens in September, but the remainder of the photographs are just doorstep-and-parlour closeups like the photo we saw originally. "Betty Going Shopping" isn't in the feature and was obviously among a bunch of photographs taken by Bert Hardy which were then at the time 'snapped up' by the likes of the big American photo-album publishers such as Corbis, Magnum, and Getty for one of the glossy magazines at the time which Picture Post wasn't. These city-centre better quality shots could all be in different hands by now.

As far as the text is concerned, Betty is referred to as aged 17, working as a hairdresser in the children's section of a department store (Lewis's) and she lives in Cregoe Street.

Cregoe Street is referred to as "the broken side of the hill" in Edgbaston, "a ripe example of a declining 19th Century industrial portion of the city (of Birmingham) as can be found". To add a bit of charm to the locality, the article says that "despite the rotten heart-breaking fabric Betty lives in the most serene and confident provincial type of housing'.

Looking at the weather conditions in the original article, would imagine the Summer of 1950 was the photographs date, if anyone has a Register of Cregoe Street to confirm the evidence.

thought provoking pictures astoness, my mom lost her first two kids to diphtheria in the1930,s while in angelina street

Richie
looking at thr electoral rolls for 1945 ,1950, 1955 & 1960, there is only a Burden in Cregoe St in 1945 & 1950 -James C. & Rose G. Burden at no 2 back 54. she could ahve been under 21 and would not have appeared on the list

Mike (Post 408)

Of those years 1950 will be the one. Betty was only 17 at the time and I too was only 16 when the Electoral Law changed in 1970 so I missed voting in the General Election in 1970!

I'll try and get back to the article this week or next.

Great photo's pudding thanks for sharing them with us. Times gone now saved by you.

Bernie
I have the Dartmouth st picture with the original caption (which of course could be wrong) which says Court 5 Darmouth St c 1905

Hi Mike sorry if I've nicked your pic I've noticed just how many that I've duplicated but it's too much trouble to keep checking the threads to see if a pic has been posted before

Back