• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

my phone is that old it runs on steam. no gps only way is to track it using the cell i use.that is why i leave it at home when we go up the mountains. unless the satalite can scan a dogs micro chip.

Reading about DuckDuck go on here i thought i would give it a try. All was okay till i tried to connect to Currys when it wouldn`t let me in, kept redirecting me to" Are you Human". Tried disconnecting my vpn but it made no difference, wouldn`t let me connect to Currys. So, back to Chrome !

If any members have trouble with grammar & spelling ( like i do ) then give `Grammarly` a try. It`s free & very good.

I've used Chrome for more than 10 years so I presume they have been tracking me for 10 years. I never choose purchases based on internet adverts or suggestions. So what do they get from me?
I certainly find Google useful as previously mentioned in #170.

The minute mommy and daddy register your birth your in the system and there is no dropping out.

What harm does all the 'tracking' do you? Nothing in real terms so I simply don't care if Google knows where I am and in fact its useful if your searching for something local, speeds up the search. I like predictive searches based on your previous searches or the web pages you've viewed or the article you've just read. Searching the web is so much faster, simpler and more accurate than it was when I first went online in the early 1990s (blimey...near 30 years!!!!)

I just love technology and as said we're in the system from day one so don't worry about it and enjoy the benefits it offers.

Not too bothered about tracking myself. But the problem is that many in the population , particularly in the younger section, are somewhat stupid, and believe everything they read. This is proved by the fact that "influencers" are not laughed out of court, and completely ignored .

Reading about DuckDuck go on here i thought i would give it a try. All was okay till i tried to connect to Currys when it wouldn`t let me in, kept redirecting me to" Are you Human". Tried disconnecting my vpn but it made no difference, wouldn`t let me connect to Currys. So, back to Chrome !

If any members have trouble with grammar & spelling ( like i do ) then give `Grammarly` a try. It`s free & very good.
Hello Smudger, something is wrong at your end, I have no problems connecting to Curry’s / PC World, works every time 1666628475683.png

It depends whether you want it. You can still have it. It comes as part of the bundle of things on offer which you can choose from

going fiber do you lose your land line?
When we moved last year we (my wife) did not think she wanted a LL. Then a week later before the new install took place we decided to keep it. We have fiber etal, but too late to keep our old number! Just ask that question (if you want to keep the old number). We should have planned better!

When we were upgraded from copper line to fibre, the copper lines were removed, and the 'box' here at home was replaced by a fibre driven one. There is a phone socket on the box that the original phone plugs into. Previously, the copper line terminated in a splitter, phone in one socket and internet box in the other.

Nothing changed with respect to the phone, same phone and the same number. The internet speed changed considerably to 1 Gb down and 600 Mb up. We also gained the option of a second distinctly different phone number that we could use for business purposes perhaps.

Changing to fibre made it so simple for the supplier, that that to encourage the take up of fibre, we have unlimited calls to French mobiles, and to fixed lines in France and many other countries. There is no data limit on the internet part either. Our mobiles will also connect for calling/receiving to the home wifi, as well as for normal data, so we are not dependent on the airwaves while at home, and it reduces the mobile mast congestion for those actually mobile.

One important point. The copper line supplied power to the phone from the exchange, and if you had a simple phone, no built in answer machine etc, then it would continue to work during power failures, powered by the exchange batteries, even though internet was lost. We kept such a phone for emergency use. That safety net goes away with fibre. Your box on the end is powered by you, and a mains failure loses all communication. Modern mobiles alleviate that to a great degree, but if you are in the sticks with no home mobile coverage, you have no fallback in a power cut.

One advantage in our circumstances is the the lack of electrical interference to the fibre lines, strung up on the original poles here. We were always hearing the tick tick tick of the many electric fences, picked up by the copper line 'aerials' on the way to our place and faithfully reproduced in our earpiece.

Andrew.

All of the above in France makes my FTTC 45mbps down and 8mbps up look positively 'snailpace'.

I have a PC, laptop, iPad, iPhone, and two cctv cameras in wifi contact with the router. Two Alexas are always listening for their 'wake word' and my Sony Google tv seems to chat with the internet even when it is on standby. I once put all of the above devices on at the same time running iPlayer/Youtube and both Alexas playing radio and all ran smoothly.

My broadband provider continually offers an upgrade to 80mbps down (at a price) but I don't see the need at present.

All of the above in France makes my FTTC 45mbps down and 8mbps up look positively 'snailpace'.

I have a PC, laptop, iPad, iPhone, and two cctv cameras in wifi contact with the router. Two Alexas are always listening for their 'wake word' and my Sony Google tv seems to chat with the internet even when it is on standby. I once put all of the above devices on at the same time running iPlayer/Youtube and both Alexas playing radio and all ran smoothly.

My broadband provider continually offers an upgrade to 80mbps down (at a price) but I don't see the need at present.

We live in a village in South Yorkshire, three houses from the end of the copper cable and 800 yards from the green BT box. We receive between 4 and 5 mbps. As I understand it, if we converted to fibre at considerable increased monthly cost our line would be converted to fibre into the green box. But from the green box to home would remain on the existing 50 year old copper cable. The improvement in speed would therefore only be minimal. There have been rumours for several years that BT Open reach are replacing the copper cables next year. so hopefully we will get fibre at no additional cost! In the meantime we can happily continue to cope with 4 to 5 mbps. AC

We live in a village in South Yorkshire, three houses from the end of the copper cable and 800 yards from the green BT box. We receive between 4 and 5 mbps. As I understand it, if we converted to fibre at considerable increased monthly cost our line would be converted to fibre into the green box. But from the green box to home would remain on the existing 50 year old copper cable. The improvement in speed would therefore only be minimal. There have been rumours for several years that BT Open reach are replacing the copper cables next year. so hopefully we will get fibre at no additional cost! In the meantime we can happily continue to cope with 4 to 5 mbps. AC
My son and family live in the Yorkshire Pennines and have FTTC broadband with the copper telephone cable from the cabinet coming about a mile across the fields up hill and down dale and they get 23Mbps. They don't watch transmitted TV it all comes down the copper wire. The grandkids spend much time on 'facetime' etc with their friends.

When I joined the BHF way back in 2007 I was still on 'dial-up' internet and it took 5 minutes to upload a photo.

We live in a village in South Yorkshire, three houses from the end of the copper cable and 800 yards from the green BT box. We receive between 4 and 5 mbps.

In our area FTTH seems to be the norm. The common practice has been to follow the copper route into the house, often using the original copper as a pull wire for the fibre. Knowing how the contractors would work, (thin white fibre hot glued to skirting boards to the nearest mains socket for the fibre box regardless of where I wanted it), I prepared my installation beforehand. Plastic conduit from the house entry point up through the loft and down to where my box was going to be located, with a pull cord in it ready for the fibre. Not visible until it exited behind furniture for the box. Made it quicker for them and kept Julie, (and me) happy. I use ethernet from the box for the desktop, and didn't want to re route that.

When we first came here, the copper was in place, but no internet. Our ISP did a special introductory (throttled) rate of 2Mb at a good price, which we used for a while until I had torn nearly all my hair out, and we went from throttled to full speed DSL, which I think managed to hit 20 Mb at times.

45 Mb would be fine for heavy domestic use. There are a lot slower things on the end of the wires that we connect to. (Wraps arms protectively over fibre connection however).

Andrew.

My son and family live in the Yorkshire Pennines and have FTTC broadband with the copper telephone cable from the cabinet coming about a mile across the fields up hill and down dale and they get 23Mbps. They don't watch transmitted TV it all comes down the copper wire. The grandkids spend much time on 'facetime' etc with their friends.

When I joined the BHF way back in 2007 I was still on 'dial-up' internet and it took 5 minutes to upload a photo.
I remember those days. Either fortunately or unfortunately our devises did not consume or need so much push. Looking at programs back then their need was minimal compared to new programs today. Granted they are faster and do more but how much do we really need? When we moved a year ago the slowest our provider offered was 300!
I did a lot of real work on dial up, it might of been a bit slow but now it’s so fast I sit there to decide what’s next so the net gain is really not that great.

When we were upgraded from copper line to fibre, the copper lines were removed, and the 'box' here at home was replaced by a fibre driven one. There is a phone socket on the box that the original phone plugs into. Previously, the copper line terminated in a splitter, phone in one socket and internet box in the other.

Nothing changed with respect to the phone, same phone and the same number. The internet speed changed considerably to 1 Gb down and 600 Mb up. We also gained the option of a second distinctly different phone number that we could use for business purposes perhaps.

Changing to fibre made it so simple for the supplier, that that to encourage the take up of fibre, we have unlimited calls to French mobiles, and to fixed lines in France and many other countries. There is no data limit on the internet part either. Our mobiles will also connect for calling/receiving to the home wifi, as well as for normal data, so we are not dependent on the airwaves while at home, and it reduces the mobile mast congestion for those actually mobile.

One important point. The copper line supplied power to the phone from the exchange, and if you had a simple phone, no built in answer machine etc, then it would continue to work during power failures, powered by the exchange batteries, even though internet was lost. We kept such a phone for emergency use. That safety net goes away with fibre. Your box on the end is powered by you, and a mains failure loses all communication. Modern mobiles alleviate that to a great degree, but if you are in the sticks with no home mobile coverage, you have no fallback in a power cut.

One advantage in our circumstances is the the lack of electrical interference to the fibre lines, strung up on the original poles here. We were always hearing the tick tick tick of the many electric fences, picked up by the copper line 'aerials' on the way to our place and faithfully reproduced in our earpiece.

Andrew.
BT told me i will get a battery back up supply.just in case of power cut.it lasts for 1hr.. we will see hey.

BT are hoping to move everyone eventually to what they call Digital Voice. Some information here. I know someone who got 'changed over' and has had some initial problems

Back