• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

computer help

Try renewing the IP settings:-
Right click on the Start icon and select Windows Power Shell
After the prompt type ipconfig /renew (make sure there is a space before the /)
Press enter and wait for a confirmation message then try again.

Also have you tried different ethernet sockets on the router?

Hi Smudger, What are you connecting to, is it your modem/router and from there to the internet, or are you connecting 2 computers together ? As soon as you connect anything to anything else, you have a network. As mentioned above, networks rely on IP address to sort out who is talking to whom. In a network, there can only be one thing that hands out IP adresses, everything else has to accept what it is given. If you are connecting to a modem/router, then that will be 'in charge' of IP. How or why is not really important here. Your computer should be aware of this, and play ball. It is fine when it is using WiFi, but there may be some setting for ethernet that tells the computer to be in charge of IP, and then there will be arguments and sulking. Your cables at cat5 or 5e are fine, unless they are faulty, and I suspect they are OK from your previous comments. You aren't trying to connect with 100m + of cable are you ?

Yes. Definitely the way to go. Make sure WiFi is disabled on the computer, there may be a preference if it is enabled that ignores ethernet.

Andrew.

Hi Smudger, What are you connecting to, is it your modem/router and from there to the internet, or are you connecting 2 computers together ? As soon as you connect anything to anything else, you have a network. As mentioned above, networks rely on IP address to sort out who is talking to whom. In a network, there can only be one thing that hands out IP adresses, everything else has to accept what it is given. If you are connecting to a modem/router, then that will be 'in charge' of IP. How or why is not really important here. Your computer should be aware of this, and play ball. It is fine when it is using WiFi, but there may be some setting for ethernet that tells the computer to be in charge of IP, and then there will be arguments and sulking. Your cables at cat5 or 5e are fine, unless they are faulty, and I suspect they are OK from your previous comments. You aren't trying to connect with 100m + of cable are you ?

Yes. Definitely the way to go. Make sure WiFi is disabled on the computer, there may be a preference if it is enabled that ignores ethernet.

Andrew.
From router to pc i`ve only tried port 1 of 2. 50m of cable. I will try jukeboxes advice & if i bugger up my pc in doing so i shall go round to his house & throw a brick thru his window.:)

I have just tried that & it says " no operation can be carried out while media is disconnected" It is connected & enabled.

I know this is a silly question, but your router does have Ethernet turned on ? My router has 4 Ethernet sockets, and they can be individually enabled or disabled by logging on to a config ‘web page’ built into the router. Using Wi-Fi, and the instructions for the router, have a look. Usually by entering 192.168.1.1 or similar into your browser.

You will need a ferry ticket and a brick for my windows :).
Andrew.

Odd one is this! I'm just wondering if the problem is with the ethernet card in the PC. If you're OK diving into the innards of the PC try removing the card, wipe the connections with a soft lint-free cloth and replace, first taking the usual precautions i.e. switch off pc, disconnect from the mains and press the PCs 'on' button to discharge any charge and touch a radiator to discharge any static (apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!).

it is straing.. after reloading win on my other pc this afternoon to try it the lan works ok....and the wifi does...... as you say the lan device might be capoot. best of luck...

Odd one is this! I'm just wondering if the problem is with the ethernet card in the PC. If you're OK diving into the innards of the PC try removing the card, wipe the connections with a soft lint-free cloth and replace, first taking the usual precautions i.e. switch off pc, disconnect from the mains and press the PCs 'on' button to discharge any charge and touch a radiator to discharge any static (apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!).
hair.jpeg

Andrew.

Tried an experiment ... :)
I was running my laptop using wifi and opened the Windows Terminal (Admin). I do this with a right click on the Start icon and typed in ipconfig /all (note the space before the forward slash is important) All the details of the Wireless Lan adapter Wi-Fi appeared

Without shutting it down I then carried the laptop over to the router and connected with an ethernet cable. After a short pause the laptop automatically switched over to Ethernet because I have it enabled as well as wi-fi.

I opened the Windows Terminal (Admin) and typed in ipconfig /all
All the details of the Ethernet Lan adapter appeared

I would be interested to know what Smudger's laptop actually shows when the ethernet cable is plugged in, the wi-fi disabled and ipconfig /all is typed in the Windows Terminal (Admin)

I'm running Win11 but for the above it is not much different to Win10

ps. All old computers used Ethernet before Wi-fi became generally available

Last edited:
No mate, you`re not preaching to grandma. Just someone who doesn`t even know how to get inside a pc. I may have to ask her indoors if she`ll lend me some dosh to buy a new (2nd hand ) pc. Many thanks anyway.

No mate, you`re not preaching to grandma. Just someone who doesn`t even know how to get inside a pc. I may have to ask her indoors if she`ll lend me some dosh to buy a new (2nd hand ) pc. Many thanks anyway.
cant you get a cheap ethernet donge first to try they are only a few £, before you buy another pc

smudge i have a hp laptop its not done nothing its only a year old dont use it. you can have it with pleasure if you want it pm me

I know this is a silly question, but your router does have Ethernet turned on ? My router has 4 Ethernet sockets, and they can be individually enabled or disabled by logging on to a config ‘web page’ built into the router. Using Wi-Fi, and the instructions for the router, have a look. Usually by entering 192.168.1.1 or similar into your browser.

You will need a ferry ticket and a brick for my windows :).
Andrew.
I am a champion cricket ball thrower so better duck !

cant you get a cheap ethernet donge first to try they are only a few £, before you buy another pc

smudge i have a hp laptop its not done nothing its only a year old dont use it. you can have it with pleasure if you want it pm me
Thanks Pete. I have a desktop & a laptop. Laptop is fairly new but doesn`t have ethernet port. I wonder if i can get an adapter to plug the ethernet cable into hdmi & use the hdmi port on the laptop. Probably not.

Thanks Pete, i didn`t know about ethernet dongles. I will have to check it out. Might be safer than me messing about inside my pc !!

Thanks Pete. I have a desktop & a laptop. Laptop is fairly new but doesn`t have ethernet port. I wonder if i can get an adapter to plug the ethernet cable into hdmi & use the hdmi port on the laptop. Probably not.
yes you can get a plug and play usb ethernet dongle for pcs with out lan from amazon. i just bought a bluetooth mine never had that was ONLY £4 FREE P&P

i got up today to find win has done a update,and some of my apps have gone,and some of my programs have gone, hp printer software, and firefox. what the ek are they doing.

Is it Win 10 or Win 11?

I have seen a lot of Win 11 updates lately but never seen one which deleted apps. Usually when Microsoft do a 'feature' update they store your previous version on the C: drive usually named Windows Old. When I had Windows 10 I remember using it to restore a version prior to update. I've noticed lately that Microsoft have made it slightly difficult to use any browser other than Edge and don't seem to like Firefox see link below ....

See this comment on the forum
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/windows-10.45268/post-745703

win 10 pro on this pc. there is NO win old just had a good look, i only use firefox. win 11 dont look to friendly. as i said it looks like it had a re- set but not by me grrrrrr

Interesting times coming for W11 users.

(T)he company says it plans to keep bringing new features to Windows 11 through a “variety of update mechanisms.” The promised “continuous innovation” fits with the company’s plans to make its Windows 11 preview builds more experimental in 2022. It also signals an ongoing shift toward a more web-browser-y model of small-but-frequent feature updates rather than holding back big changes for once-per-year servicing updates as Microsoft generally did during the Windows 10 era.
End quote. Source arstechnica.com.

Hold onto your hats.

Andrew.

now i know why its the default.

Mozilla and Google have a complicated relationship. While they may be competitors, they are also business partners. Each year Google pays Mozilla hundreds of millions of dollars in royalties—reports say that figure is currently in the range of $400 million per year—for its search engine to be set as the default in Firefox. In its 2020 financial results, the most recent available, Mozilla listed its total revenue as $496 million, with royalties from search deals equaling $441 million. Firefox has other default search engine partners, such as Yandex Search in Russia, and these royalties are also crucial. (Google also pays Apple huge sums each year to ensure it is the default search engine in Safari.)

Back