• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

Well hes got a letter in his mouth , maybe a last minute Christmas card Ha Ha . Max

Hi Lyn: Loved the Norah Batty and motorbike link.... I have a photo somewhere of the area where the photo was taken...not sure where the picture is at the mo....anyway...There was a street going through just below the Market Hall so I would think it would be close to that street as you can see a curb at the forefront of the photo? Anyone know off hand what that street was called. It disappeared when the 1960's version of the Bull Ring took place.

lol phil...glad its a new one to you too....jenny we would love to see that pic if you can dig it out please...well spotted max....

lyn

No probs Lyn: I have my Brum book collection boxes at hand in my office these days.

Hi Lyn: Loved the Norah Batty and motorbike link.... I have a photo somewhere of the area where the photo was taken...not sure where the picture is at the mo....anyway...There was a street going through just below the Market Hall so I would think it would be close to that street as you can see a curb at the forefront of the photo? Anyone know off hand what that street was called. It disappeared when the 1960's version of the Bull Ring took place.

Jenny was it Upper Mill Lane ?

thanks dave...so it was bell st..wonder if anyone has any pics of it or stevens bar...

lyn

Hi Jennyann

The street was Bell street it was located between the Fish Market and The Old Market Hall. I'm sure I have posted the one of Bell St before. The other one is taken from more or less where the other was taken but looking down the Bull Ring and not across it.

Phil

City Bell St 1955.jpg City Bull Ring (22).jpg

Last edited:
Lyn

If you look in the High St thread you will see a photo of Stevens Bar that I posted.

Phil

ahh i see phil..thanks for the info on that and the brillient pic....talking about figs am i correct in thinking that they came in a longish box and had a little wooden fork with them...or something like that to dig em out and eat them...

lyn

ahh i see phil..thanks for the info on that and the brillient pic....talking about figs am i correct in thinking that they came in a longish box and had a little wooden fork with them...or something like that to dig em out and eat them...

lyn

Lyn that is dates they are really sticky and dry i can eat them but i wouldn,t go out of my way. Fresh Figs are quite fleshy with lots of little seeds in side. Dek

Lyn

We used to get a box shoved into our Christmas Stocking, I don't think they could get rid of them any other way. As soon as fresh fruit became available again after the war they began to loose their appeal. I could never eat more than one or two before feeling sick. Those are the boxes on the barrow in the photo I posted.

Phil

Phil

Lyn, figs are round and plump, and dates are finger-sized. You need to get your shapes organised LOL

dek...i havent a liking for either the date or the fig...bit to sickley if i remember...ahh phil..the christmas stocking now theres an idea for another thread...i noticed the boxes on the barrel...

richie..i was never any good at shapes lol...

lyn

Remember at Christmas getting an Orange and an Apple ? i was telling a youngster this recently and he said " You Was Lucky, a Mobile phone AND an ipod" LOL Max

there was something exciting about visiting the Bull Ring in the 50's people milling around, venders shouting their wares it was a lovely place and cheap, I agree with the other comments about those figs/dates "ORRABLE"
paul

When you turned the corner at the bottom of the Bull Ring on to Edgbaston Street on any weekday morning in the 1950's (at least
for me on my way to work) you entered a very different world from the actual Bull Ring itself.

Jennyann

This would be a familiar sight then?

Phil

City Bull Ring Edgbaston St.jpg

Last edited:
A very poignant photo of the Bull Ring taken shortly after the terrible night of the 9th of April 1941 when the Bull Ring was nearly obliterated from the map. The buildings look as if they are still smoldering. Just look at the background it looks as if the whole of Birmingham is on fire. Though it is probably just fuelled by the wheels of industry.

Phil

Replacement image, may vary from original.
image.jpeg

It takes all sorts, I love both figs and dates, buy a box of dates every week with my fresh fruit. Eric

I like them both as well Eric, one of my favourite treats to myself is Chocolate covered dates.Max

Yes, Phil. That's exactly how it was on turning into Edgbaston Street from the Bull Ring all those years ago. I think the tall building next to the Post Office was Pryke's. Thanks very much for posting this.

Brightened the picture a bit.

Great picture. Looks like the old Temperance Hotel was still standing on the corner of Moor Street. I never saw this building... all I remember is a large cleared bombed site from Moor Street up a good ways. So the old hotel must have been pulled down soon after this event. I never saw Nelson Passage...the entrance was right opposite the old Market Hall but there are the remains of it right at the bottom of the picture. A first sighting too late.

Back