• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

I don't think I have seen these pictures of the Bull ring in the 1930s elsewhere. They are from the Evening Mail in 1980
Mike

bull_Ring_1930s.jpg

From the last picture it looks like the area for the stalls was moved to a temporary site that had been cleared of the old Smithfield market buildings, below the church and in between Moat Lane and Jamaica Row. Pretty much on top of the old manor and moat. When walking along those stalls one would never have thought about being on the spot of the earliest history of Birmingham.

Note photo is missing if anyone has this please let a moderator know so we can replace it. Thanks).

This is my great grandfather Charles Williams at his market stall in the old bull ring shortley before it was bombed.The family had several market stalls dealing in toys, pets and hardware. He bought the stalls from his father in law when he retired. The Vaughan family had been market traders from 1870 or before and had stalls dealing in pets and live poultery, basket makers and fancy goods.They all worked very long hours and my grandmother said they would not return from work until nearly midnight and she would have a meal prepared for them.Dose anyone know about any other traders at this time.
Annie
research interests Williams, Vaughan, Hudson, Bate,family names connected to the market hall.

My Dad he told us of going to Bull Ring and buying a live chick which would have been killed on the stall before taking it home.

Image his dis belief when traveling home on the tram the chick suddenly come to life he got home and hadn't got the heart to kill it again and he built a pen out in the back yard and keep it.

Ray

Couldn't resist this brilliant shot of St Martins from same book...hope you don't mind Max. LOVE the old buses waiting outside, they have such resonance with so may people on this Site..

Replacement image may vary from original

image.jpeg

Yes, your are right about the last of the turkeys and chickens going cheep, sorry, cheap, and as we lived in Temple Row, it was easy to go down at the last minute and get a good turkey for a decent price, but I always seemed to be the one to have to carry it home, and it didn't look as if it had been killed very long either, I hated carring the thing, but loved eating it afterward.

The midland red from St Martins was vital for my brother and I who in the late 50's played football together for a team I had formed, we called ourselves Wainbridge, and I bought the shirts for the team from Harry Parkes near the law courts, and we played our home matches at Wagon lane, as the team came from Acocks Green, and for many away games, it was the red we caught to get there.

That's a good photo Stars. I'd love to know what's going on at the bottom of that lampost! Viv.

Great picture..................... look at all the the headscarves hats & flat caps even the child being carried has a knitted hat on.

Great days great atmosphere

Hi
Another one of the bull ring. i am not sure if this one has been on before, as there are a few similar
ones before the hack.

Image3_the_bull_ring.jpg

regards Stars

Another gr.photo Stars you are doing a wonderful job of replacing the photos.I noticed at the bottom of the photo r/h side is a man with no shirt on this I,m sure is the Guy who bent iron bars and escaped from straight jackets. Dek

Hi Dek
You may be right, it seems to ring a bell along with the guy who was handcuffed and then put in a sack to excape, i don't know if it was the same man.

(What goes around comes around)

Regards Stars

Always a favourite photo for me Stars. I used to walk up and down the Bull Ring every work day in the late l950's. I
liked the building right behind St. Martin's on the corner. Such a shame it was demolished. Here is a
bit of info on the Woolworth Museum site re the Bull Ring Store which is reported as being the biggest in Europe
at one time. https://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/1960s-citycentres.htm

My Dad had chickens, Rhode Island reds? use to run all over the place, one day he choped off the bloody ed off one, it ran around edless!John Crump OldBrit in Parker NOW, Colorado USA

I am not sure if any have been on before, if so i apologise.

They are photos of crowds in and around the Bull ring. Are you or someone you know on here.

The First one was taken December 1958, The second one was taken at Easter 1948

and the third one was taken in 1947

Image3.jpg Image4.jpg Image5.jpg

Regards Stars

I can remember in the bull ring market go up the few steps and buy crabs claws which you eat with a hairgrip. Also, the cuckoo clocks for sale.

Yes..the old Bullring had its downside, but for me and for a lot of people Rupert it carried within us exactly what it was...'Memories'

Regards
redken

The white building in the background, with the sloping roof, is still there, it was an old music hall.

It is on the corner of Digbeth and Park St, and is opposite the new Selfridges, but is now a rather dull grey.

The sharpness of colour is always excellent in these 1950s/early 60s photos

last min shopping for christmas..dated 22nd dec 1958

Replacement image may vary from original.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
sxc.jpeg
We all know the location and the direction we are facing in this one. 1959

Back