• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

We did not have the pleasure of seeing this Escapologist & Strongman, World famous Houdini, the ladies would have been shocked or pleased!!.

The man in the Bull Ring I remember to this day,and I still tell people about him,used to do a fire-eating act,this would be in the mid to late 50's.I remember he used to take a swig of some liquid,I don't know what it was, but probably methylated spirits,and blow a huge flame out of his mouth.It was so impressive I tried to do it myself when I got home, but all I did was feel sick from the taste of the meths.Probably just as well it didn't work, I would probably have burnt the house down ! The way things always look easy when you're young, I was still at school then. Does anybody else remember this man ? Mal.

Wet Sunday in the Bulrling.JPG

To any body who likes a bit of nostagia, I have attached a watercolour of mine called "Wet Sunday in the Bull Ring", might recall a few memories. Eric

Last edited:
Your Painting Nice one Eric, Jimmy Jesus I heard Mom talk about him in those terms

I adore your painting, so alive one could be there, an image captured.
I have attached a short story, my adult GCSE peice, set around the market. It features a female character that I remember as being a real person.
Jan Hedger

Note. Unfortunately Jans story has been lost from this post.

I seem to remember a man called "Iron foot" Jack in the market area, anyone else remember him?. Len.

That is such a great picture of the Bull Ring, Eric. It was a very different place on a Sunday as I remember. The building below St. Martin's was an architectural dream in my opinion. Lost forever. Thanks so much for posting.

Jennyann, I have not been in the Bulling for about 20 years (doesn't appeal to me now). Is that beautiful old red building below St Martins still there, or demlolished like other fine old buildings. Eric

the people i remember in sherlock st with the shop
was farrs on the corner was that your father
i have the jones; family of market traders for years that operated down the bull ring and all over the country they are my first cousins and you could not get a pitch in them days unless you was in the know and done your bit first by fetching and carrying back to the lock up and you had a long list to get on the stalls
just like there was anarmy of men to get a job on the bins in them days
to think years ago nobody wanted to know now every body wants one or the other
best wishes astonian ;;;

Eric, sadly that beautiful building featured behind St. Martin's is no more as is all of the old market buildings...long gone I'm afraid. However, we must be satisfied with whatever photo memories turn up and, of course, paintings such as this super one painted by yourself.

Thanks for comments on my story! I haven't been called Bab for years, love it!

Jan.....there was a thread on here ages ago that discused the term 'bab' & lots of folk commented that you're never too old to called 'bab'......bless em. It's a lovely affectionate term isn't it??

Yes it is! I told my Nigel - who himself is from Stafford and he hadn't heard the term!
Jan

hi christina, sure have fond memories of the old bull ring pre 60's, when as a kid we used to take our trolleys down to the markets to collect bonfire wood, and on saturdays go there with my elder brother to buy a crab for teatime, those were the days.
i still go there now and everytime i visit i allways have a bag of cockles.

hi all
I remember my dad taking me to the bull ring on the Christmas eve each year in the early/mid 50's when the chicken and turkey sellers threw the last ones to the crowd and you paid what you could afford, I remember going with our prize and getting hot chestnuts from outside new st station and then going home to Mom and my sisters on the bus with all the windows frosted up. So exciting and one year we got such a big one we were still having turkey sandwiches in Jan, my dad said it put i'm of turkey for life.
regards
paul stacey

I used to love going the Bull Ring with my grandma, walking up from St Martins Flats in Highgate. We always took our own bags, and my mum did the same when we sent to the Co-op in Digbeth. Rubbed off on me as I still do the same. I do wish they would use more paper bags in the shops instead of the plastic ones. They are always so useful, especially for collecting seeds in the garden.

When we went to the market, had a quarter of cockles in a white bag, lots of salt, vinegar and pepper, and I too still like to do that and wonder around the stalls. Don't go so often now, as I'm not too keen on how it has now been done, I did like it in the 1950's with all the characters. The Leeses in the rag market selling their crockery, throwing plates and cups up in the air!

Sounds, smells, lots of different stalls, colour and so much more.

One thing I do like about the area now is that wonderful statue of the Bull, but it will always be The Bull Ring to me and not just Bullring.

Regards to all

Chris

icon7.gif

Darbys photo.is the Bull Ring I knew and loved.The crowd standing in a circle,could be watching,the bloke that used to be an escapeologist.
Does anyone remember the young woman who sold fruit,near to Woolworths,when she was given a note,she always put it down her stocking top,there would be a queue of blokes clutching their ten bob notes,waiting to buy apples they didn't want...

i remember the strong men in the bull ring do you remember the one who used to swallow a length of chain and bring it back up again,,,it used to make me vomit but i stil had to watch..urghhhhhhh

Malcolm Stent - a Birmingham folk singer - put words about the Bull Ring to a song "Messing about on the river". I hope he does not mind if I recall the words for you. It started "When I was a lad - I'd go with me Dad - Each Saturday night to the Bull Ring". He went on to mention The Sally Ann Band, cockles & crabs & ice-cream from McNabs, fish market winkles, faggots & paes, the man tied in chains, chickens & flowers by St Martin's towers, boot lace & matches, the blind lady selling 'andy carriers' & fortune tellers. I well remember all of that, plus the wooden floor of Woolworths. The wheeled handcarts of fruit/veg sellers. Nylons sold on the pavement from suitcases and the roofless Market Hall. The 'horned' mine & statue of Nelson. The very steep cobbled hill & traffic controlled by a bobby dressed in a white 'raincoat'. The hot potato/chestnut vendor..........ha! my memories of the Bull Ring (1950) remain with me.

Thanks for sharing your memories Roy Rocket. I love the new Bull Ring but it is not a patch on the one of my childhood in the 1950's. Can almost see and smell the things you talk about

Hi RoyR:

Wonder if you could post the words that Malcolm Stent wrote and sings about the Old Bull Ring. He is very well known around Brum and is in the pantomime in Solihull this Christmas.

Darbys photo.is the Bull Ring I knew and loved.The crowd standing in a circle,could be watching,the bloke that used to be an escapeologist.
Does anyone remember the young woman who sold fruit,near to Woolworths,when she was given a note,she always put it down her stocking top,there would be a queue of blokes clutching their ten bob notes,waiting to buy apples they didn't want...

I remember an escapeologist at the back of Lewis's, he used to stand on a site of a bombed out building. I guess this must have been early 50's. I also remember men standing in the gutter at the Bull Ring with open suitcases selling things from them, then suddenly someone would shout out "police"! and they would shove everything back into their suitcases and run.

VeeGee when the spivs were selling their ware stockings for the ladies (yes i still like them) and men's ties ect;when old bill was about the look out gave a certain whistle still used to day by some of the market traders of to day just to let that there is somebody dodgy about i know a lot of traders

Mossy

Back