• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bull Ring 1930s - 1950s

williams

master brummie
This thread has been created from numerous posts and images scattered throughout the markets threads about the history of the Bull Ring between 1930 and 1950.

Am i right in thinking there used to be a man in the Bull ring about 1940s-50s who used to do a Houdini type of act with chains. I thought i remembered standing in the crowd with my Mum. Does anyone else recall him.

Hi
Yes I can still see the marks on his body as the chains were
removed. Either in one of Carl Chinns articles or in The Alton
Douglas collection there is a picture of him near Nelson's Statue.
Looked on web nothing.

Mike
Replacement image may vary from original.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bull ring

Mike thats a super picture thank you and look at all of those wonderful street sellers, what a pity we don't have more of them. Catkin
Does any-one remember pimms the pet shop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pimm's Pet Shop

I remember a Pimm's Pet Shop being in the Bull Ring and then it moved to Moor Street. My Dad used to work at a furniture shop (not the Times furniture shop) at the top of the Bull Ring in 50s and we used to go to meet him there on Saturdays and then went to Pimm's, I think it was for rabbit food/supplies. I have a photo of it somewhere in my collection of Birmingham books and postcards.

Am i right in thinking there used to be a man in the Bull ring about 1940s-50s who used to do a Houdini type of act with chains. I thought i remembered standing in the crowd with my Mum. Does anyone else recall him.

Williams

This might be the chap you mention, the photo looks to be about 1950'ish, he has chains at his feet.

Phil

City Bull Ring Street Entertainers.jpg

Last edited:
i loved to go down the bullring with mom in the 50s.we would
watch the man in chains,and the one ones who stood on boxes shouting.
the barrows all in a row selling things,when it was dark the paraffin lamps come out.what a fantasic sight.on the way back to the bus,we would go in peacocks and mom would buy me a hand puppet,made of some kind of clay with a piece of cloth held on with a elastic band.Or a wagon and horses.depending on how much she had.a slow walk looking in shops and
then home on the 43 bus.what a great day out.we had together bless her.:cry:

Last edited:
I remember the man in chains well in the 1940's. Whenever we went to the Bull Ring he seemed to be there with a crowd round him. There were all the flower sellers with their baskets full of colour standing in the gutters. I also remember being taken into the Woolworths nearby with its distinctive smell of wooden floors and having an ice cream wafer made for me in the little metal shape with the wafer put in first, then a scoop of ice cream and flattened out, and another wafer on top. I thought it was delicious. We also used to go into the market hall and see the animals, particularly the rabbits.

The "old" Bull Ring to me was the circular, bull ring shaped one up steps.

The "new" one was between Woolworths and St. Martins church and is in some photos I just looked at on this forum.

Is there another one? I can't recognise the photos in your link, Bernie, but interesting.

As I've said before my mom used to wate for the auction at the end of the day. They would auction the crabs off and mom used to tell me a tale of the auctioneer. Can't put it on here. It's a bit rude. The female crab I think is a hen and the male a cock. I will leave it there. Do you remember the parrott outside Pimms?. Bye Jean.

The second photo looks like its the 50s me and my two brother used to go to the bull ring,get some crab claws and have a good look about

To me and my brothers it was a magical place,all the market traders,spivs selling stuff out of suit cases,and when a copper was about the look out would give a whistle,if you was there you should remember what that sounded like,it is still used to day,for a laugh,when you hear it you know there's a brummie about

Do you also remember the man who used to get chained up in a big sack,his mate woul shout for people to put money into a cap on the floor,and when there was enough pennies in,he would chain him up a tie the sack at the top

And woolworths used to have these imitation momkeys hanging up out side.

Happy Days Mossy

My son and his wife went to the Bull Ring Market last week and were so pleasesd at the cost of the fruit and veg. They said it was much cheaper than the supermarket and the quality was far better!

the bull ring can anybody remember the strong men and the men that did the bed of nails on a wedensday in the bull ring and can any body remember the faggets and peas shop in jamacker row

The Bull Ring going back a decade from my last pic. Could be shortly after the war by the bomb damage showing. Note the poster on the left telling us to "Work or Want"

Back